What kind of Adventure style bike would you like Yamaha to make?

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure how much interest there will be in this, but here goes! I don’t do off-road, hence the “Adventure Style” in the heading, so I guess I am looking for something to compete with the Ducati V4 Multistrada really, so the bike that would make me open my wallet would be a direct competitor for the Multistrada except it would have Yamaha’s amazing flat plane crank motor from the MT-10 and a suitably sized fuel tank to give about a 220 mile range. It doesn’t need a massive amount of ground clearance so Yamaha could have a similar type of exhaust to the new Tracer 9 so you can hand a pair of panniers on it and still keep a relatively slim rear end. It doesn’t need any more bop than the MT-10 either, that makes plenty of poke thank you very much!
For the record, I have an S10 but it is nice to dream.

They won't, they don't need to, their MT series saved the company, it's enormously successful.

First I have heard about the MT series saving Yamaha, they have shifted bikes by the ship load, Yamaha’s have always sold well, besides, Yamaha have never cut back on their MotoGP teams or their WSBK involvement.

Anyway, it was only a bit of fun to see what anyone would like to see in a successor to the S10 :nenau

The S10 was a sales disaster for Yamaha, prior to the MT series Yamaha were struggling in their motorcycle sales division, try and name a Yamaha model that sold well prior to the MT range coming along.

Yes the R series with the 1 &6 sold well but Suzuki and then BMW wiped the floor with them in worldwide sales, there's more to market share than the UK ;) In the adventure market they were late to the party and the S10 didn't sell well and they missed the boat at BMW captured that market.

Yes their Tenere 660 sold well, very well but that was it.

Yep, saved the company, do keep up at the back.

This, right here, is why you get so many arguments on UKGSER. I don’t read any motorcycle press anymore. Stopped reading the comic (MCN) years ago and don’t take an interest in any motorcycling forums outside of this one. So if indeed there have been reports of Yamaha going to the wall, I haven’t seen them, and there’s been no mention of it on here that I can recall seeing.

But rather than post a helpful link to the research and reports that you must surely base your comment on, you choose instead to make a condescending remark. Which sort of reinforces the view that you are indeed a cock end bollard magnet.

Having read Yamaha’s financial reports I still can’t see an indication that they were in need of ‘saving’

This, right here, is why you get so many arguments on UKGSER. I don’t read any motorcycle press anymore. Stopped reading the comic (MCN) years ago and don’t take an interest in any motorcycling forums outside of this one. So if indeed there have been reports of Yamaha going to the wall, I haven’t seen them, and there’s been no mention of it on here that I can recall seeing.

But rather than post a helpful link to the research and reports that you must surely base your comment on, you choose instead to make a condescending remark. Which sort of reinforces the view that you are indeed a cock end bollard magnet.

Having read Yamaha’s financial reports I still can’t see an indication that they were in need of ‘saving’

:thumb

I remember reading about Yamaha's poor financial position back in 2013 due to poor Market share at the time when the first of the MT's were announced. If you can find any news clips from the comics at the time of the MT announcement then there will probably be the comments about "Needing the MT range to save Yamaha".

I remember reading about Yamaha's poor financial position back in 2013 due to poor Market share at the time when the first of the MT's were announced. If you can find any news clips from the comics at the time of the MT announcement then there will probably be the comments about "Needing the MT range to save Yamaha".

Thank you.

The S10 was a sales disaster for Yamaha

Only of their own making. They totally cocked up the launch and release of it, and got way to greedy with the price. If they’d just released the standard model at a sensible price that was competitive from the off, and made sure they imported enough for demand they’d have sold shed loads more in the first years and maybe developed the repuation and following sooner.
Doubt we’ll ever see a new model. GS and Ktm are too far ahead now, I can’t see them being bothered to try and compete.

the bike that would make me open my wallet would be a direct competitor for the Multistrada except it would have Yamaha’s amazing flat plane crank motor from the MT-10 and a suitably sized fuel tank to give about a 220 mile range. .

I think this is what you're looking for, sir....

Attachments

• yam tenere.jpg
    yam tenere.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 366

Back
Top Bottom