2008 R1200gs winglet fitting

Thank you kindly Sir.

I'll try the paper trick in the morning.

Now, how the bloody hell to I drill from underneath, no room to swing a hamster up there

Can't you use a marker pen to mark the holes and metal bracket on the underside then remove the panel to drill it. Once it's off you can then also check the marked holes line up with the winglets.

When i did mine i taped some masking tape on an already pre drilled panel, this only works If you have access to a factory pre drill panel.

I marked the edges of the panel and the holes with a pencil then transferred the masking tape to the new panel that required drilling.

I also did mine like post #22
Mark with a marker
Remove the complete nose panel and drill on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crikey no room there's acres of space

try doing a starter motor on a v12 XJS

depends on the headlamp / screen subframe

get it on its centre stand and look from below - some bikes have the metal bracket to fix things too so they don't float about (if you have this type drill pilot from beneath to get this right)

my 2007 GS just has the big rectangular cut out on the subframe (for the power sockets to clear) and so my winglets sit mid way within the cut out and flex a bit with the plastic body work, I used large washers beneath the bodywork. later bikes mounted the winglet on better designed rubber mounts so it doesn't crack round the holes.... this mod can be retrofitted to all (and should be), buy the later stainless ferrells and larger rubber bushes and just open out the hole on the old style winglet to suit the later bush

Hiya, do you have a link to the stainless ferrells please

Regards

Robbi

Funnily enough I fitted some cheap winglets from AliExpress yesterday. (Replacing mine because they are 15 years old and discoloured and cracked, so holes already there)
The oe ones fitted to mine had a plastic shoulder washer top and bottom so you can't easily overtighten the screws and crack the winglet. The AliExpress ones are a little thinner than the oe ones but look ok when fitted.

£12.81 36%OFF | GS1200/R1200GS 04-12 Side Windshield Windscreen Wind Deflector for BMW R1200GS ADV 2005 2006 2008 2010 2011
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqkX947

Not sure if this is of any use. Grabbed a moment to take a couple of pics.

I can get the verniers out if needed
eee4e8e55ad3e38e5890088cd46a840f.jpg
cc7f5720d99d8cf3ad6b15afa550dbd3.jpg
02802d22b2b7da3096c98cfc237eaeea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Spot on. Thank you, those are the wingletts I have, I'm trying to confirm that the hole on the bracket below the nose fairing is the same centres as the wingletts

They look good though, do they offer much protection.?

They look good though, do they offer much protection.?

I've never been without them so I can't say precisely. But I can confirm that whole ADV fairing set up is deceptively good (for me anyway!).

On my 1150 I had them and removed them, then re-fitted them. Yes, an after market affair. But way better with them, undoubtedly. So a logical conclusion is, it's no accident BMW added then to the 1200's standard set up. But not sure if the GS would behave the same since the tank is not kinda part of the fairing as it is in the ADV?

Anyway, I suspect you'll be happy you fitted them! If you have the 'bracket' underneath, then follow that. Otherwise I'd say it's an approximate arrangement and 'roughly' will suffice. Hope the pics are of use

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

As the new owner of Robbi’s winglets, thanks for all the info. I’ve a ‘07 so no metal bracket underneath. I’m terrified at the thought of drilling the plastic.

As the new owner of Robbi’s winglets, thanks for all the info. I’ve a ‘07 so no metal bracket underneath. I’m terrified at the thought of drilling the plastic.
Put some insulating tape on the areas you are going to drill.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Put some insulating tape on the areas you are going to drill.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

After looking into it more, I'm concerned the 2007 model does not have the metal supports below the winglets to support them.

Back
Top Bottom