2008 R1200gs winglet fitting

Robbi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening all,

Just purchased some winglet for my 2008 R1200gs and it frightens me to position and drill the holes correctly.

Does anyone have or could get and post a photo of wingletts fitted to the same bike to give me a bit of a guide and some confidence

Thanks in advance

Robbi

Cracking info, thank you, I'd thought of the rubber washer, good idea. ( what happened when you learnt the hard way, winglet or body work cracker.? )

I don't have a drilling template, that's why I want actual photos to give me an idea. I would also like to see the interface between the winglet and screen to see how it all goes together.

Thanks for your help.

Firstly... S92GS.. Many many thanks for your time and help today, very much appreciated.

Now, back to fitting these wingletts, I've now got all the required nuts and bolts etc, so that's all good.

As a final check before I started drilling I looked at the underside of the nose fairing where the wingletts would go and there's a metal bracket with fixing holes that APPEAR to match those on the wingletts as well as having a cut out for a power socket,.

My question is... Does anyone know what centres the holes in the brackets are so that I can check / match before I use them as a template to start drilling.

Many thanks in advance

Robbi

V welcome.

Remember though ………..

Measure once….

Drill twice….

Or something like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on the headlamp / screen subframe

get it on its centre stand and look from below - some bikes have the metal bracket to fix things too so they don't float about (if you have this type drill pilot from beneath to get this right)

my 2007 GS just has the big rectangular cut out on the subframe (for the power sockets to clear) and so my winglets sit mid way within the cut out and flex a bit with the plastic body work, I used large washers beneath the bodywork. later bikes mounted the winglet on better designed rubber mounts so it doesn't crack round the holes.... this mod can be retrofitted to all (and should be), buy the later stainless ferrells and larger rubber bushes and just open out the hole on the old style winglet to suit the later bush

I have the metal bracket to fix things to type, but before I drill from below ( buggered if I know how I'm going to do that yet.) I would like to confirm the centers of the holes in the bracket actually match those in the wingletts and I can't get a rule or tape in there.... Hence the question.

If I take a leap of blind faith and drill the holes without checking, Robbi's law will kick in.... It's like sod's law but worse..!

get a bit of carboard.... draw / make to the centre holes of the winglets.... undo the filister fastening (loosen a few others) and tease the body work up and check with your new template on the metal bit

they make torches, glasses and other blue peter stuff for such occasions and ebay sell the correct tools - for less than 5% of a new panel

Would you have a link to the correct tools on ebay please, I don't even know what they're called to do a search.

Ah,

Thanks for the effort, I have all of those and many more, what I don't have is access / space to get in and measure between centres, without stripping out the nose fairing, that's why I asked the original question

Thanks for your help anyway

Robbi

There certainly are positions indicated by a metal bracket with what looks like the correct holes including one for a power take off socket, I can see it and even touch it but I can't get any type of measuring device in the very tight space to comfirm that the fixing holes are the same centres as the ones on the wingletts I have.

Photos available by WhatsApp if needed

94451cf9e44db254621a9be38768a1d7.jpg

Voila

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fairly sure they're right with the other hole for the power outlet

Others may know better

I did mine by feel and marking a bit of paper

Back
Top Bottom