Parking the Bus, I mean Van

47steve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have booked ferry for September next year Plymouth - Santander. I am taken a van with my bikes in the back. Does anyone know of any areas where I could leave my van when I take my bike out for a few days.
It does not have to be near the port as I could drive to where ever.

TA Steve

Which port...to leave the van at or near? Plymouth or Santander ?

Hi All,

I have booked ferry for September next year Plymouth - Santander. I am taken a van with my bikes in the back. Does anyone know of any areas where I could leave my van when I take my bike out for a few days.

TA Steve

You should get one of those go anywhere, off road and touring bikes like a GS, you could then leave the van behind and ride off the ferry.

You should get one of those go anywhere, off road and touring bikes like a GS, you could then leave the van behind and ride off the ferry.

But if it’s a modern GS , might be better to use a van rather than have an SOS fault immobilise the bike and cause havoc on the lower deck of the Pont Aven ….

Why not drive out of the port city (where logically parking is at a premium) and find a car park in a smaller provincial town?

Hi All,

TA Steve

I would check, but my understanding is that it is no longer as simple as throwing your bikes in the back of a van after Brexit. They will now be asking for things like carnets etc just as if you were crossing any other country's borders. The only marked difference is that if you are atop the bike, you will not be asked for carnets and other documents, but you will if they are being transported, even if you can prove they are yours.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading about problems that bike transport companies are having since Jan 1st.

But if it’s a modern GS , might be better to use a van rather than have an SOS fault immobilise the bike and cause havoc on the lower deck of the Pont Aven ….

The first half of 2021 has witnessed a significant number of motorcycle safety recalls with Honda and KTM the most prolific.

In the first quarter of 2021, there were 13 recalls, but the rate accelerated in May with 10 recalls and two in June, bringing the first half total to 25.

Perhaps as riders are coming out of lockdown around the world and riding again, they are discovering issues with their bikes which result in official recall notices.

KTM Australia has issued nine recalls, although some have been for the same issues across all the brands they import which also includes GasGas and Husqvarna.

Honda follows with nine recall notices. Its most recent affects 2981 motorcycles and covers an extensive range from the Grom to the 650 models.

Ducati and Yamaha had three recalls in the first half of the year, BMW, Kawasaki and Suzuki had two each and Triumph had one.

Or you could buy a Triumph :D

I would check, but my understanding is that it is no longer as simple as throwing your bikes in the back of a van after Brexit. They will now be asking for things like carnets etc just as if you were crossing any other country's borders. The only marked difference is that if you are atop the bike, you will not be asked for carnets and other documents, but you will if they are being transported, even if you can prove they are yours.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading about problems that bike transport companies are having since Jan 1st.

Me and a mate did the portsmouth santander crossing in july with 2 bikes on the back of the van. Explained to spanish customs that they were our own bikes, showed the v5's and were let through with no carnets needed.
Hope this helps

The first half of 2021 has witnessed a significant number of motorcycle safety recalls with Honda and KTM the most prolific.

In the first quarter of 2021, there were 13 recalls, but the rate accelerated in May with 10 recalls and two in June, bringing the first half total to 25.

Perhaps as riders are coming out of lockdown around the world and riding again, they are discovering issues with their bikes which result in official recall notices.

KTM Australia has issued nine recalls, although some have been for the same issues across all the brands they import which also includes GasGas and Husqvarna.

Honda follows with nine recall notices. Its most recent affects 2981 motorcycles and covers an extensive range from the Grom to the 650 models.

Ducati and Yamaha had three recalls in the first half of the year, BMW, Kawasaki and Suzuki had two each and Triumph had one.

Or you could buy a Triumph :D

No recalls for my MY20 501 Husqvarna but they probably think there’s no point when it’s supposed to be a competition bike :D

Me and a mate did the portsmouth santander crossing in july with 2 bikes on the back of the van. Explained to spanish customs that they were our own bikes, showed the v5's and were let through with no carnets needed.
Hope this helps

Fantastic! Just thought I'd highlight it, just in case. Brexit is much messier than it needed to be but :nenau

Taking you bike in a van abroad

This was covered in the latest issue of Ride, mainly about France, but does mention Spain.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 173
The bod has a year to decide on what customs challenges he might or might not face at the border with the EU. At the moment, his chief concern is where to park his van, if snd when he gets there, one year hence.

I know a beautiful Spanish woman who lives in a stunning house and grounds an hour or so from Santander.... but it's probably for the best I don't ask her iykwim :D

I know a beautiful Spanish woman who lives in a stunning house and grounds an hour or so from Santander.... but it's probably for the best I don't ask her iykwim :D

ae210a0b0f69741f397a89df0d72d720.png

Why did you post a picture of Keith Richards? :nenau

Back
Top Bottom