E10 Fuel - Morrisons

ethanol absorbs water that's half the reason you don't want it
then with the weather events bringing heavy flood rain fall and supermarkets mostly built like most modern housing estates on flood plains the likely hood of water in petrol is exceptionally high

if you ONLY sell Petrol your reputation matters - if you make 99% of profit from running a supermarket they don't care if your car or bike runs well (and if you buy at a supermarket chain nor do you)
as shedamn says - but worth repeating - yes at refineries its all a std base blend BUT the additives used vary so Esso and Shell you get good stuff
If you live in the right places they don't even put ethanol in super unleaded at esso garages

As already said, E10 is everywhere in the US and it's shite in my experience.

When I'm out there I use an octane booster which sorts it and also fill with non ethonol fuel whenever possible.

Morrisons is shit fuel (budget nasty with cheapo addatives - you shouldn't buy)
E10 is hideous stuff - been common in Europe for years my bike runs like an utter dog on it
get used to that tankfull - when nearly empty go buy some 99 from shell or esso and the thing will feel like some 4 cyl silky smooth drag racer and the front wheel won't stay on the ground

my last car was filled with morrisons diesel almost exclusively with no problems. just saying.

As already said, E10 is everywhere in the US and it's shite in my experience.

When I'm out there I use an octane booster which sorts it and also fill with non ethonol fuel whenever possible.

I think there will be a lot more people using fuel additives soon.

my last car was filled with morrisons diesel almost exclusively with no problems. just saying.

there is no doubt the vehicle with run on this nasty fuel.... but it won't run as well and the cost saving will probably be used up in more frequent DPF regen's trying to stop the world ending... and if you kept it for 100k miles the emission and fuel system repairs will out weigh those of a driver who all along enjoyed the benefits of better fuel - and harder to quantify, but the shell / esso driver might not have caused the asthma death of 5 children

there is no doubt the vehicle with run on this nasty fuel.... but it won't run as well and the cost saving will probably be used up in more frequent DPF regen's trying to stop the world ending... and if you kept it for 100k miles the emission and fuel system repairs will out weigh those of a driver who all along enjoyed the benefits of better fuel - and harder to quantify, but the shell / esso driver might not have caused the asthma death of 5 children

the funny thing was it never showed a regen after the first year and averaged 56mpg over the 86300mls i put on it. on the odd occasion it got shell the mileage was no better. no emission or fuel system repairs either. air freshener sprays,deoderants,fags etc etc probably cause as much asthma as anything, who knows.

Used mainly Morrison’s standard unleaded in my 1150, 115,000 miles without issue. Used mainly Morrison’s diesel in my Toyota, 120,000 miles without issue. Used Super Unleaded, mainly Sainsbury’s & Costco in my 1200 Hexhead, 48,000 miles without issue. No doubt saved a fair bit over using Shell’s overpriced stuff. MPG always good when compared to others. Just saying all that glitters isn’t gold.

I work around the corner from fuel depot (all fed from Exxon refinery)and all brands
you could think of exit there.All filling their 36,000 litres road tankers with essentially the same products???
There is only only 4 lines feeding the site from Exxon site.

So brand loyalty funny thing:thumb2

I work around the corner from fuel depot (all fed from Exxon refinery)and all brands
you could think of exit there.All filling their 36,000 litres road tankers with essentially the same products???

Yes, but at the pump (in the roadside stations) is where the mixing gets done... At least that's my understanding

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yes, but at the pump (in the roadside stations) is where the mixing gets done... At least that's my understanding

Is it?

There are similar BS standard for all fuels, irrespective of retailer ?

Nothing gets added at the point of filling the car/bike. When a tanker goes on the rack. It gets logged onto the system by a key or code number. As it loaded any extra additives are put in to each pot in the correct ratio if needed. Most have none in as the normal blend meets the correct BS specification.
Going back to the 80’s it was different but it’s a much slicker operation now.
Incidentally, you can load a bottom loader now in half the time it used to take to load a top loader, and it’s much cleaner as it’s a closed loop system so the vapours are “recycled” into the storage tank. It’s also safer as you can’t overfill a pot .....in theory.

Nothing gets added at the point of filling the car/bike. When a tanker goes on the rack. It gets logged onto the system by a key or code number. As it loaded any extra additives are put in to each pot in the correct ratio if needed. Most have none in as the normal blend meets the correct BS specification.
Going back to the 80’s it was different but it’s a much slicker operation now.
Incidentally, you can load a bottom loader now in half the time it used to take to load a top loader, and it’s much cleaner as it’s a closed loop system so the vapours are “recycled” into the storage tank. It’s also safer as you can’t overfill a pot .....in theory.

The base fuels are essentially the same.

The difference between brands is the additive that is added to the fuel at the point of loading the tanker. I can say for certain that BP, Shell, Esso each have their own specific blend of additives stored in separate tanks at the various fuel terminals.
A lot of the smaller brands use a generic motor spirit additive.

Not all fuels are loaded with additives. For example an industrial customer (haulage contractor or bus depot to name a couple) have bulk loads delivered which has no additive. It’s their choice and is price driven to some extent.

The Ethanol is also added at the point of loading the tanker and is metered to achieve the required % mixture.

The base fuels are essentially the same.

The difference between brands is the additive that is added to the fuel at the point of loading the tanker. I can say for certain that BP, Shell, Esso each have their own specific blend of additives stored in separate tanks at the various fuel terminals.
A lot of the smaller brands use a generic motor spirit additive.

Not all fuels are loaded with additives. For example an industrial customer (haulage contractor or bus depot to name a couple) have bulk loads delivered which has no additive. It’s their choice and is price driven to some extent.

The Ethanol is also added at the point of loading the tanker and is metered to achieve the required % mixture.

Which is what I said. Additives added on the rack as loading.

There may be only four lines but they carry different grades of fuel. There’s a whole network of pipes around the country feeding the various terminals. The next grade pushes the previous one along the pipe. Where the two products meet there will obviously be some mixing. This ‘slug’ of contaminated/mixed fuel is stored in a separate tank and sent through the refining process again

Ok. I will stand corrected. But I understood that the stations themselves held the 'raw materials' and when you selected the particular fuel you wanted (within the range of each - petrol or diesel) and then the pump somehow 'blended' whatever you'd selected.

But you're saying that in each fuel station there is a separate storage tank for each of the fuels on offer, each of which is delivered finished and ready to go straight into the vehicle. Have I got that right?

What I'm left asking then, is are we being sold a load of bollocks and charged accordingly?

Or....based on your description, it isn't quite right and in fact those takers are not leaving with identical fuels... - I mean the mix of fuel, Inc any additives.

Which is right?

Back
Top Bottom