E10 Fuel - Morrisons

Ok. I will stand corrected. But I understood that the stations themselves held the 'raw materials' and when you selected the particular fuel you wanted (within the range of each - petrol or diesel) and then the pump somehow 'blended' whatever you'd selected.

But you're saying that in each fuel station there is a separate storage tank for each of the fuels on offer, each of which is delivered finished and ready to go straight into the vehicle. Have I got that right?

What I'm left asking then, is are we being sold a load of bollocks and charged accordingly?

Or....based on your description, it isn't quite right and in fact those takers are not leaving with identical fuels... - I mean the mix of fuel, Inc any additives.

Which is right?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yes, separate tank for each grade. It’s loaded onto the tanker and delivered to the garage ready to go into your vehicle tank.
The tanker has separate compartments so it might be carrying potentially four different grades of fuel for one garage, EG unleaded, diesel, super unleaded, super diesel

The tankers aren’t leaving with totally identical fuels because they will be dosed with different additives depending if they are Esso, Shell, Jet etc etc.
The basic fuel comes from the massive storage tanks and then becomes Esso, Shell, BP etc once it gets its additive package added at the loading point.

It’s not all bollocks but as with all things you pay your money and take your choice.
I know my car runs better on the big brands than it does on supermarket brands.

Thanks for that. Interesting

Yep, like you, I too notice the difference so I guess I'll just keep paying. Though I've noted Niel W's comment on fuel cost in Germany! I'll be mindful of that when I return to blighty next weekend!!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I used to run a 2010 Gs which did 5mpg more on Total or Shell petrol. There has to be something going on to explain the difference. Personally I think there is less of a difference nowadays.

I wonder how small garages that at the moment only stock basic fuels will fare with the introduction of E10 fuels. A little garage I stopped at yesterday on the b5199 north of Northampton only had standard E5 unleaded and standard diesel. I didn't need fuel but a mate on his SP1 did. Bloody 90 miles range. In the future some will have to use the E10 on occasion if these garages don't have the capacity to stock other fuels

I wonder how small garages that at the moment only stock basic fuels will fare with the introduction of E10 fuels. A little garage I stopped at yesterday on the b5199 north of Northampton only had standard E5 unleaded and standard diesel. I didn't need fuel but a mate on his SP1 did. Bloody 90 miles range. In the future some will have to use the E10 on occasion if these garages don't have the capacity to stock other fuels

Won’t be an issue as there will only be E10 available

Thanks for that. Interesting

Yep, like you, I too notice the difference so I guess I'll just keep paying. Though I've noted Niel W's comment on fuel cost in Germany! I'll be mindful of that when I return to blighty next weekend!!

no different than it ever was....

and that's why the same tank at the depot fed Tesco rubbish with zero additives 25 years yet could put the added zing in Shell fuel that was over done and blew up engines...
after all the hooha Tesco back tracked and put junk additives in from then on (and Shell withdrew and reformulated to one that didn't melt pistons)…. and looking at Morrisons pricing I guess their additives are another level lower than Tesco rot

then the ethanol mess is because its a budget way to fudge up the octane rating and probably brings the oil companies a tax fiddle too boot..... all encouraged to destroy old cars so the car manu can sell more - just as well the planet isn't wobbling and we can sustain the ridiculous environmental damage of new car production !!

no different than it ever was....

and that's why the same tank at the depot fed Tesco rubbish with zero additives 25 years yet could put the added zing in Shell fuel that was over done and blew up engines...
after all the hooha Tesco back tracked and put junk additives in from then on (and Shell withdrew and reformulated to one that didn't melt pistons)…. and looking at Morrisons pricing I guess their additives are another level lower than Tesco rot

then the ethanol mess is because its a budget way to fudge up the octane rating and probably brings the oil companies a tax fiddle too boot..... all encouraged to destroy old cars so the car manu can sell more - just as well the planet isn't wobbling and we can sustain the ridiculous environmental damage of new car production !!

Just to clarify ( and point out a key difference ) while you're talking about Tesco fuel:- the stuff sold at Tesco Express mini supermarket sites, with the Esso branded forecourt, is the same stuff as any other Esso forecourt ( i.e. contains the same Esso additives) .

It is different to the stuff sold at Tesco branded forecourts found at their supermarket sites. This may or may not have the junk additive you refer to:thumb

yes if the pump says Esso you should be getting Esso, where as Tesco's is their rubbish....

Won’t be an issue as there will only be E10 available

Really. I understood the super unleaded E5 fuels would still be available as well as the E10 95. That was the point of my post. Small garages with only a couple of pumps won't have the capacity to have all the fuels available.
Clearly you know different,!

Really. I understood the super unleaded E5 fuels would still be available as well as the E10 95. That was the point of my post. Small garages with only a couple of pumps won't have the capacity to have all the fuels available.

Some of the old sites might be able to offer more than Unleaded and Diesel if they have multiple tanks still in place from the good old days of 2 star, 3 star , 4 star etc. Few and far between now though.

Some of the old sites might be able to offer more than Unleaded and Diesel if they have multiple tanks still in place from the good old days of 2 star, 3 star , 4 star etc. Few and far between now though.

even if the tanks and pumps remained serviceable it is unlikely to be economic for a site with a small turnover to stock more than one grade of petrol and diesel. The margins on fuel are very low and the cost is very high so you need to shift the stuff pretty rapidly. Otherwise you end up with a lot of cash tied up in stock as the distributors will usually want paying up front.

Really. I understood the super unleaded E5 fuels would still be available as well as the E10 95.

That was the point of my post.

Small garages with only a couple of pumps won't have the capacity to have all the fuels available.

A small garage local to me, currently sells diesel and u95 only
I asked him if he was going from E5 to E10 on his u95
Nope he said, he’s going over to super u97 E5 as he didn’t want to go to E10 Petrol

Smaller garages don’t tend to stock super as it’s a very slow turn over so in effect it costs more in storage.

A small garage local to me, currently sells diesel and u95 only
I asked him if he was going from E5 to E10 on his u95
Nope he said, he’s going over to super u97 E5 as he didn’t want to go to E10 Petrol

Smaller garages don’t tend to stock super as it’s a very slow turn over so in effect it costs more in storage.

It all makes sense now.

there is no doubt the vehicle with run on this nasty fuel.... but it won't run as well and the cost saving will probably be used up in more frequent DPF regen's trying to stop the world ending... and if you kept it for 100k miles the emission and fuel system repairs will out weigh those of a driver who all along enjoyed the benefits of better fuel - and harder to quantify, but the shell / esso driver might not have caused the asthma death of 5 children
This sounds made-up to me. Can you point us to some evidence to substantiate it?

I was forced ( By lack of fuel) to use Tesco in Market Rasen they only had E10 no super so that was that

Bike ran fine

a number of elements to this can influence things

if you had half a tank and topped off with E10 then its quite possible you won't notice immediately
when you do 2000 mile trip to Europe and back.... the impact builds as any trace of good fuel dilutes out of the system and the bike starts attempting to adapt to that E10 garbage.... it idles roughly and keeps trying to stall, you have to abuse the clutch as its making so much less power down the bottom. As its trying to stall and not run cleanly at low revs its much harder to ride in heavy traffic, and in general its gutless as hell in the midrange. After a few weeks and 1000 miles of using E10 it, you kind of work around a bike that feels like it needs a good service - then on the way home you fill with real fuel and the thing is so much happier and the front keeps popping up in the air under the new normal throttle settings you were having to use over there....

if you don't do lots of town work and ride a long way from flat out its possible you could be happy with E10

if your expectations of what is a smooth running, happy bike, that rides and feels good, is off whack you might be happy with it

there is no doubt E10 burns.... but you shouldn't want it near your pride and joy....

Back
Top Bottom