Petrol filler cap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
En route from Le Mans and stopped to fill up near Rouen. Gently knocked the filler cap with the nozzle. Oops, there flue my (now unhinged) filler cap ! It still kinda makes a rightish fit but will need replacing. Was too tired to bother with a photo! Anyone got one?
3bd3093d469395a45972f855306f3fac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of the reasons I rotated mine 180° so it opens forwards. Much easier to insert the filler nozzle without straining anything and it is especially helpful when you have a tankbag on there.

I took my tank bag completely off to do it. I have to add that the mechanism has always been a bit iffy. I have to press down to get the tongue to engage and lock. I also think someone at some point tried to get it open with a different key. It still works with my key, but it's now just detachable! Anyhow, sorted a used one for £30 with a key, so a straight swap. However, I want to swap over the barrels so one key fits all including panniers. Anyone got a how to FAQ on this?

cheers. I have seen along the lines of the key must be in it to remove...Ill swap over then fiddle..Hope I fiddle right!

cheers. I have seen along the lines of the key must be in it to remove...Ill swap over then fiddle..Hope I fiddle right!

Careful of the tensioned pingfeckit, and have fun retensioning it when putting it back together. :D

Careful of the tensioned pingfeckit, and have fun retensioning it when putting it back together. :D

cheers, so any more pointers then? Any one seen a How To on the net or a sticky here? I guess initially I'll just swap the over and live with 2 keys and then play on my cap to see if / how to do it!

This is one of the reasons I rotated mine 180° so it opens forwards. Much easier to insert the filler nozzle without straining anything and it is especially helpful when you have a tankbag on there.

Same with my old bike, makes filling much easier :D

Attachments

• P1020572.jpg
    P1020572.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 237

fook me - just when you think you've seen all the tweaks possible...

Not a bad idea, might do that with mine. :)

fook me - just when you think you've seen all the tweaks possible...

Not a bad idea, might do that with mine. :)

Simple to do… Undo 6 bolts, rotate the filler and collar (just the outside bits you can see) and put the bolts back in. Leave the inner section in place.

Replacement cap arrived today. Bonus is my key fits so no need to change barrels! Fitted upside down. Sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom