Satnav app

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok. I’m off to France for over three weeks. My zumo is playing up, I think it’s had it. I’m told new satnav s are a bit thin on the ground at the moment due to the chip shortage. So the other option is a phone based nav app. I want a true standalone app so it doesn’t use data. I’m using an iPhone and I used to use nav free which is not available now.
Being a tight Yorkshire man I’d prefer a free app, but will pay for it if it’s any good.
PS. I’ll be doing all the driving so I won’t be using a map.
PPS. Apparently, I’ll be doing all the driving on the cruiser as well
Ppps. Apparently I’ll be doing all the cup of tea making on the boat as well. Looks like a busy weeks cruising ;)

Any and all opinions greatfully accepted.

Buy a used Nav?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did think about that, but I decided if I can’t get new I’ll use an app until things get back to normal

Calimoto is good but does cost, not sure if it dies use data though. The obvious is Google maps, but then it be using data.

I would say that any app will cost either way.

Put the add in the wanted section for a used satnav. There are bound to be a few in the depths of the desk drawers.

You might find a fellow Yorkshire man holding onto one cause in 2001 it cost him £700.

When I was in the states a couple of years ago I rented a USA mapping satnav via ebay for not a lot of money

I think I've got a 350 Zumo with a Ram mount which has been in the desk draw as a (spare) for 5 years. It was a "LM", so I should be able to update the maps.

You are welcome to borrow it, of you cover the post cost etc.
Jim

I think I've got a 350 Zumo with a Ram mount which has been in the desk draw as a (spare) for 5 years. It was a "LM", so I should be able to update the maps.

You are welcome to borrow it, of you cover the post cost etc.
Jim
Thanks for the offer but I think I’m leaning towards the app idea for now

I’ve been using OSMandMaps on my iPhone on the GS.

It works and was cheap enough to get all the maps downloaded on the device (vital as you don’t need a phone connection for it to work).

It doesn’t have great route planning, but if you plot a few favourites in and navigate between them, it works really well.

Is it better than my Garmin 595…..no, but it is as good as it.

Based on the information from the site I’m using mapsme or Navmii both have downloaded maps and work a treat. Pocket Earth is another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got an Zumo XT from Sportsbikeshop last week next day delivery., seemed to be the cheapest new from reliable seller. Still showing as stock available when I looked just now.

I've been using a combination of Waze on my phone for quickest point A to B routing and rarely does having data cause a major issue as it seems to cache the map ahead of time and Calimoto for specific planned routes (you can download offline maps). Obviously it's a paid app but I've used it the last 2 years running and I've yet to find a need to get the Nav6 out to use.

Back
Top Bottom