Low fender alternatives for R80G/S

Bluethumb

Reaction score
I have a R80S/T with G/S front suspension and a G/S correct length Ohlins shock, G/S solo seat and rack. Fairly common to turn a S/T into a G/S. What I’ve done is to replace the 21 inch wheel with the stock 19 inch S/T wheel which quickened-up the steering and has made the S/T into an incredibly fun handling bike. Its my R80GS/T.

I currently have the S/T fork brace and ST fender on the bike. Recently I saw a late model R100R with a /5 front fender and really liked the look. Gave the bike a more classic appearance. I’ve never liked the S/T front fender. Has anyone mounted an early model fender on a G/S front suspension? I believe the width between the forks is different on the S/T and G/S compared to standard forks but I might be wrong.

Nothing springs to mind for a ‘plug and play’ solution to the look you’re wanting to achieve. I too have a ST G/S hybrid though I’ve stuck with the ST forks ( for now) but with G/S front wheel. I’m always changing the look of the bike. When I had it in ‘ classic style’ with alloy mudguards I fabricated my own, high mounted, bracket. I feel that you’ll have to do something similar. Can you not detach the plastic guard from the fork brace and mount another in its place?

I have a similar interest as I picked up a fork brace adapted to take a mudguard at an auto jumble last bank holiday.

Mine is a G/S with original forks.

Not sure what mudguard would work with it and look right?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 16.55.57.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 16.55.57.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 127
The S/T fork brace and fender mount up to the G/S forks so the width of the G/S fork legs and the S/T fork legs is the same. What I don’t know is if a fork brace from a R100/7 is the same width, narrower or wider. If a R100/7 fork brace is narrower, I am thinking I can add spacers. If the brace is wider, I’m out of luck.

The profile of the S/T fork brace is flatter to accommodate the shape of the S/T fender which makes me believe it would not be feasible to try and mount a /7 fender.

The easiest thing fork me to do is source a /7 fork brace and simply try it out. I was just hoping someone has already tried this to save me the time and expense if it doesn’t work.

i have a SJ type tubular brace on mine, with a short fiberglass mudguard.
Came as a set from some English crowd, Caferacer or something
Still have the 21" wheel and never had any problem with mud Jambing, with 50/50 tires like Mitas E07s but with knobS,- who knows?

Fitted a SJ billet top triple at the same time as the flat plate OEM one was twisting so much it was unscrewing the top nut.

Made a big difference - I can no longer see the forks flax when I wheel it round the garage!

Non G/S top triple needs trimmed a bit at the front, and the indicators flipped over to the other side, but all looks OK when it is done.
The G/S forks are unbushed so will have a bit wear in them by now so no great difficulty lining up the lower brace, it actually helps if it pulls the worn sliders over too tha side1

I should have known, it’s flatracer.com that sell a front for brace and mudguard kit that should fit your needs. I’ve one of their racks for single seats on my R100/7 and the quality is good.

Back
Top Bottom