107 or 114

hairysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Am considering getting a Harley in addition to my BMW 1200gsa. Which is the better engine option to go for... The 107 or the 114....

Never had a 107, but have had a 114.

The consensus seems to be that the 107 is a freer revving engine but as you would expect, the 114 pips it slightly on the hp and torque. I dare say a lot of folks wouldn't notice the difference although the 114's seem to hold their value better and sell for a little more in the trade.

The softail Milwaukee 8 engines, both 107 & 114 seem very reliable so far.

if you can afford the 114 - buy that.

……103” :D

The 107 Street Glide i had in Vegas felt "less" poky then the 103 i have today - of course the 103 "may" have a cam in it - i've no idea what the previous owners may have done. - but i can say that it fair flies when you open the throttle and the torque is lovely.

The 107 Street Glide i had in Vegas felt "less" poky then the 103 i have today - of course the 103 "may" have a cam in it - i've no idea what the previous owners may have done. - but i can say that it fair flies when you open the throttle and the torque is lovely.

The “P” in FLHRP may be a clue… the rumour is they got the Monday built engines…. Not the Friday ones….. and I’ll echo that impression on my former ‘King…

the 114 holds the resale value better as its more desirable. as stated if you can afford the 114 go for It

In the real world, out of the box they are pretty much neck and neck speed wise.

The 107 is smoother and feels less torquey than the 114.

They have 2 very different characters, but very little difference in final outcome when opening the throttle.

They even run about the same mpg (within a gnats whisker).

It all depends on which HD your looking at. The most popular touring bike - FLHR Road King are 107s whilst there’s likely to be many more 114 Softails (Fat Boy, Breakout , Low Rider S.) The worlds your lobster.

Been thinking Road king special or Street glide. Want the black finish engine/transmission etc as can't be doing with constantly polishing chrome...

As others have said, if you can afford the 114, then get that. There's not a vast amount of difference stock, but if you start adding performance parts and tuning it, then there is more potential.

HD don't really seem to be offering many new bikes with the 107 any more. RKS has the 114 as standard as does the SGS.

They are also more desirable in the used market.

Been thinking Road king special or Street glide. Want the black finish engine/transmission etc as can't be doing with constantly polishing chrome...

Talk to owners past and present of the RK “special” before you pull the trigger. Particularly about the cost of improving the suspension…

On the Road King Special the rear suspension is harsh..... most people upgrade pretty quick...

Don’t beat around the bush…..it’s dog shit! (harder than those crumbly white ones that you don’t see anymore, and exactly how your spine will look after a 200 mile day :D).

Avon cobra chromes do make a big difference to smoothing it though, it’s more dried cow poo now, hard initially but then a bit squidgy in the middle. Interestingly, I have it all packed up for a road trip and weighted up it’s actually quite good, they are just massively over sprung from the factory.

Back
Top Bottom