Throttle body synchronization help

Tonibe63

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My R1200gs 07 is running rough on idle and below 4k revs. I have a bourdon tube type gauge handed down to me by a former GS owner and I remember there being a video on here showing how to set up the throttle bodies but I can no longer find it. Can anybody point me to the video or other help.
From memory you need to release any tension in the cables, balance tick over using the butterfly valve stop screws, then balance throttle bodies at 4k revs using the two throttle cables. Of course my memory is not what it once was :confused:

The butterfly stops are factory-set and should be left well alone. With the engine hot, connect the vacuum gauge(s) to the takeoff points on the injector bodies, connect a GS-911 or similar, start the engine then use the GS-911 to lock the throttle stop stepper motors. Open the throttle a little to check balance, which is adjusted with the cable adjusters. Ths sequence https://motorcycleinfo.co.uk/bmw-r1...dy-synchronisation-synchronization-index12f4/ suggests disconnection the stepper motors rather than parking them but the rest is the same.

Thanks for that Bear, it confirms the info I have found since starting the post. My rough idle was caused by a lack of slack in the main cable from throttle and I have used my home made manometer to adjust the individual throttle body cables at 3k/4k revs.
Stepper motors and 'no-no' screws untouched.

clear the gunk from throttle bodies plus a minor service first.... air filter and valve clearances first or you are wasting your time

and you shouldn't be trying at tickover the bike manages that itself with the stepper motors that nudges them open and closed

service go for a ride to get to operating temp, maintain air flow over the oil cooler and try at 2 to 3k rpm or so with the throttle cables holding it just open, snap them open and closed a few times / keep ensuring they open and close fully (all with it off !!!) and check the balance a few more times, often it will settle different again...

Back
Top Bottom