Thread: Overtaking

Complete Arse Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Overtaking

New Ride magazine landed on the door mat. Each issue there is an article about riding better. This time it is about overtaking. Some sense is talked my a RAPID instructor named Clive. Well worth a read.

When I overtake I allways think what the guy thinks I have just overtaken. Was it safe, not too aggressive and has it caused him to slow down. There is the old step up to the overtake, follow and observe either side, move up to position, move out check it is clear, give it a squirt and move back in trying to time the throttle so that I don't have to be on the brakes. If I have to brake I like to match the speed of the car by staying out a bit and then move in behind it.

A lot of times I see the cars following too closely but with enough gap to move it and place me in a nice overtaking position once traffic has passed. That is doing the single car hop inbetween traffic or bends where it is clear. I do notice that the car behind tends to drop back once I'm in front. Then I'm not sure if I was correct to overtake, should I have waited. My instructor said to not force or rush an overtake, be patient and the opportunity will present itself. Which is very much the truth.

Complete Arse Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Spotted another thread of the same title. Would a mod please be so kind to merge the threads.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I stamped on a snail yesterday.

It had overtaken me twice on the journey.

he who knows nothing Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    I stamped on a snail yesterday.

It had overtaken me twice on the journey.
    were you on a Harley ?

If in doubt ... (overtaking NOT snails! )
    Purveyor of the finest "dreary verbal diahrrea." (sic)

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    were you on a Harley ?
    Similar! R80GS. Bloody lunatic it was, sliding around all over the place, couldn't maintain a straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    Similar! R80GS. Bloody lunatic it was, sliding around all over the place, couldn't maintain a straight line.
    You sure it wasn't a problem with the nut behind the handlebars?

Coincidentally, our chief observer did a short piece for the local IAM mag this month. I'm sure he will not mind me pinching the relevant bit ...

This year has also seen an increase in the number of camper vans on the road which can be a frustration to us all (apologies to any of you out there who have one). However as "advanced" riders we are well versed in dealing with such frustrations where patience is the key while we look ahead and plan for that overtake

For me the best time to make a move is either coming out of built-up area, on hills or at the end of a series of bends when vehicles in front are generally going slower and lack the acceleration, we possess to hinder our manoeuvre.

Reading the signs, looking at road markings and picking up tell-tale signs that map out the layout of the land is all part of our preparation. Getting in the right gear and moving out to take a look before we accelerate past is all part of the process and God doesn't it feel good when you execute this smoothly. It might even suggest we know what we are doing!!

I also recommend folks have a look at Micky's tips on his website ... http://www.adventure.gs/Adventure.GS/Welcome.html
    Purveyor of the finest "dreary verbal diahrrea." (sic)