Rough idol…

cawteracing

Reaction score
Hi all,

trying to get to the bottom of the poor running issue of my r100gs. It’s got 50 thousand miles on the clock , believed to be genuine.
A few years ago I had the heads overhauled . New valves, springs and valve guides…. Also had new rings . (3500 miles since rebuild)The carbs have been cleaned and rebuilt with new jets and diaphragms.. carbs are synced, valves are the correct clearance. New carb inlet rubbers..! Also the timing is spot on.
The problem I’m having is it’s awful at idol.. air mixture screw has to be at least 31/4 turns out.. it pops as if it’s so lean . The plugs show lean running too. On over run it’s popping .. it rides ok on the throttle and pulls quite well.
I had a compression test done last week and it was 80-85 psi.. it doesn’t smoke and starts well . With all the work that’s been done how could it be down on compression? Starts first time every time. What am I missing??
Oh and finally I fitted the motorworks Emerald Isle ignition system… could this be the cause?
In the next few days I’m going to fit the original Bmw ignition back on just rule it out. So frustrating. I’ve even spoken to motorworks to asked if they knew what could be the problem? They were stumped and wished me good luck in finding the problem.Many thanks in advance for and suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google Mike Fishwick BMW carbs and you will get just about the only description of the idle and slow running circuit I have seen.
Must be clean and clear and some have two outlets from the mixing chamber, but otherwise OK.

80/85 psi is too low,
I’d suggest checking again with the throttle wide open.
I’d expect over 120 psi.
Have you got the original ignition system?
If so refit it and try again.
I’ve seen issues with EI ign where the timing is fully advancing at idle.( faulty module)
With the idle mixture screws 3 1/2 turns out it will pop and bang.

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply..
I didn’t do the compression test. I’ll give the chap a call tomorrow to see if he removed the carbs to do the test. The idol mixture screws when screwed 11/2 out makes it worse? I was intending to pop up to see you sometime soon to see if you could work your magic on it?

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply..
I didn’t do the compression test. I’ll give the chap a call tomorrow to see if he removed the carbs to do the test. The idol mixture screws when screwed 11/2 out makes it worse? I was intending to pop up to see you sometime soon to see if you could work your magic on it?

No need to remove carbs,
Plugs out,pressure gauge fitted wide open throttle and crank till you see maximum presssure.
First off.
Get a good strobe light and check timing at idle.
It should be nice and stable when viewing through the aperture.
If it’s all over the place,refit the oem and try again.
Feel free to call me tomorrow.
Mike 07786340692

Back
Top Bottom