Nav5 or Zumo660?

Country boy

Reaction score
After a lot of faffing around trying to get my TFT to communicate with all the necessary bits I thought I would compare the BMW connected app satnav with the Nav5. Oh my goodness, I made a route which I transferred to both my phone and the Nav5 perfect on the app but the Nav5 didn’t know a particular road was on the route. Just to check I transferred the route to my old Zumo660, perfect. So is it worth keeping the Nav for all the other stuff it can do or Chuck it in the back of the cupboard and use the old Zumo660?

I've got a Nav IV which is essentially a Zumo 660 on my X-Country and a Nav V on my GS. I've never experienced anything like that. I'm happy to have a look at the Nav V, if you're anywhere near me or take it off your hands if you're just going to put it in the back of the cupboard. :D

Having said that, you have managed to navigate your way into the wrong forum with this post, so.... :augie

Which forum should I navigate to then Schtum? I am referring to the TFT on my GS.

What he says.

Done 8k miles this summer and used smartphone with google maps for most of it - brilliant.
Music on phone and if you tick the apple music button inside google maps you even get a music player on the same screen as the map.
Maps always current and traffic news is spot on.
You use hardly any data and can download the map to your phone for when you lose a signal.
I think its perfect.

Attachments

• E149C003-D355-451C-9B5C-431F62E7B47C.png
    E149C003-D355-451C-9B5C-431F62E7B47C.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 233
Until water eventually finds it way into the charge port and it refuses to work!

After a lot of faffing around trying to get my TFT to communicate with all the necessary bits I thought I would compare the BMW connected app satnav with the Nav5. Oh my goodness, I made a route which I transferred to both my phone and the Nav5 perfect on the app but the Nav5 didn’t know a particular road was on the route. Just to check I transferred the route to my old Zumo660, perfect. So is it worth keeping the Nav for all the other stuff it can do or Chuck it in the back of the cupboard and use the old Zumo660?

Did you check both Navs had the same settings, like fastest route, no u turns etc etc. Plus every route downloaded to Nav 5 needs recalculating fast, then slow then fast again (the algorithm thingy needs this or it will be inconsistent between units)

Did you check both Navs had the same settings, like fastest route, no u turns etc etc. Plus every route downloaded to Nav 5 needs recalculating fast, then slow then fast again (the algorithm thingy needs this or it will be inconsistent between units)

Both satnavs are set the same but I had now idea about fast, slow, fast. I will try that on my next planed trip.

also the zumo nav 5 has a ipx7 rating
The IPX7 rating means that the light is waterproof when submersed in water at a depth of one meter, for 30 minutes. Unless you require a diving light or flashlight that needs to be underwater for more than half an hour, a light with this rating should meet your needs.

That’s not what I said. Get it wet whilst it charging and see what happens. Twatnav? Get a grip.

Been proved wrong:fiddle

If the rain is that bad u could always disconnect the charging lead? Also if a metre of rain falls u won't be on ya bike.
Your point was that a smartphone is not water resistant and cannot be used while charging in the rain due to potential water ingress.

Suck it up and be a man and admit you were WRONGg

I must of missed the bit where I was proven wrong? Also not sure what the violin thing is meant to be? Your video shows a phone under water, not being charged. Disconnecting the charge lead kinda defeats the object of using your phone as a sat nav, as running the nav chip eats battery life. Quadlock do a Qi charge option, but it still means exposing your phone to the elements which they do not really like. Add to that the vibration issue, and the fact that if you have a spill you are likely to trash the thing, makes a dedicated sat nav a more viable option.

"Apple's iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are also rated as IP67 water and dust resistant. With all of its devices, Apple warns that while they are water and dust resistant, those are not permanent conditions and resistance could decrease as a result of normal wear."

The vibration seems to be a bigger issue, as the Quadlock will handle the charging aspect. Probably a soft rubber mount would sort that.

Of course if the bloody TFT, NavVI, Packtalk Bold and iPhone all talked to one another nicely, it would be just what you'd expect from a premium brand like BMW. Trouble is, they don't. I now don't connect anything to the TFT, and at least I can have phone, music and nav through the NavVI. And I can leave the phone and packtalk paired too, so the phone will work without the NavVI, and the two packtalks work, so I can hear the missus on the back.

Of course, that means that I don't have all the bragging rights that accompany every ride on my phone...

Back
Top Bottom