An oddity in MyRoute

Wapping

Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of third party software, when it comes to linking with Garmin. But, just as a try, I sent a Garmin v1.1 GPX route from BaseCamp, to DropBox and from there to MyRoute. In theory, MyRoute should replicate the GPX route exactly. But, it didn’t. Here is an example.

I usually check any routes I create in BaseCamp pretty carefully, looking for little deviations where the Garmin software has thrown in some routing oddity or other of its own. When I displayed the route in MyRoute, I noticed that the third party software had created an oddity of its own:

af5d0374143613b7c08c4bf49967d8ef.jpg

On the left is my original BaseCamp route, coloured green. On the right is the version of the same route, imported into MyRoute, coloured black. As you can see, MyRoute has amended the GPX route, putting in a silly detour (two sides of a triangle) instead of following along the D231.

I do not understand why MyRoute has done it. It might though explain why oddities that we read about on these pages, involving routes created in MyRoute, not performing as they should when imported into a Garmin device. My betting is that, had I placed a shaping point on the D231, the oddity would not have happened.

I have never bothered with basecamp. So have always used MRA for all my routes. But have never experienced any oddities with the route I planned. Maybe it’s a conversion thing. Although I did struggle importing a gpx from Motorcycle Sport and Leisure until someone on the MRA forum explained how import a track and then convert it

It’s definitely a conversion thing, of that I am certain. Or maybe MyMaps’ Google maps based mapping, now knows there is perhaps no right turn there?

Having never played around too much with MyRoute, nor ever got to understand or use it, I thought I’d give it a go, if only to see what bods rave on about. Discovering a glitch on day one, is not an encouraging start. But, hey-ho, it’s only a bit of fun.

What I will though give credit to MyRoute for, is its ability to display a route against the background of a Michelin map. Whilst I am no great adherent to the mantra ‘Always seek out green bordered roads, they are always great’ (they are not, always) I do quite like Michelin maps anyway.

It’s definitely a conversion thing, of that I am certain. Or maybe MyMaps’ Google maps based mapping, now knows there is perhaps no right turn there?

Perhaps that - or perhaps it thinks there are roadworks on the D231.

With MyRoute App, you can also compare different routes using different mapping algorithms. Go to the "Toolkit" dropdown and select "Compare with", then "OpenStreetMap" or "TomTom". It'll highlight any route differences between the algorithms.

This intrigued me, so I had a little play. Set a quick route that should route along the D231 as you say. It's the black line in the picture below - just as you would expect.

I used the HERE (Garmin) mapping as the default for this. Then I selected compare with.....TomTom which produced the other route up through Couderousse as per your picture earlier. A compare with OpenStreetMap had the exact same route as the default.

MRA-XL.jpg

So it would appear it is a difference between different mapping algorithms. Garmin and OSM get you what you want, but TomTom doesn't. Try setting your MRA default mapping to either HERE or OSM and see what happens.

I'm no expert!!!!!

But in the past when playing with various mapping systems one of the reasons I have found in the past is what speed does each mapping think you can travel down each road.

So on duel carriageway it assumes you will be at 130kph where as the small road is only 50 kph.

Therefore it could?? Be technically faster to take the longer route.

I know that average speeds for different classes of roads can be tweaked within Garmin and this could/can cause difference's.

I have certainly experienced it when I changed my motorway average speed to 60mph (cos I was towing) and Garmin was forever trying to take me off the motorways to 'shortcut' onto A roads cos A roads were still set at 60 mph. But clearly towing a fairly heavy load, slowing down and (slowly) speeding up for each roundabout would have dropped a massive amount of time (and increased SWMBO'D stress levels!)

Hope that makes sense.

I tried plotting your first three way points in MyRoute, when going in the direction you plotted, i.e. from Cap Gris-Nez, MyRoute plots the longer route. However, reverse the route so you are heading to Cap Gris-Nez and it plots the shorter route ???
Try adding a waypoint on the route from Cap Gris-Nez, to force it on the shorter route, it still won't plot it as you'd want, it takes a larger detour to hit the extra waypoint and then sends you back on to the longer route.
Very odd.

I've seen similar Richard, but I generally stay away from using OpenStreetMap which annoyingly is the default. As others have said switching the map to HERE sorts out the problem so I've stuck to using that and have "more or less" been able to transfer files in both directions with very little need to adjust it. I have no clue why OpenStreetMap wants to route you that way, I've just played with it and no matter what I do, I cannot get it to do a straight route between those 2 points.

I do find that sometimes depending where I've placed a point on the map it's caused variations due to it being very close to a junction or even on a junction but sticking to HERE in MyRouteApp seems at least for me to be mostly fine. I get the same quirks going the other direction as well occasionally.

I do also find it useful if you are using HERE in MRA to turn on the option to disable seasonal closures, which sounds counter intuitive but I was in Switzerland in August and some of the routes we did, had I listened to MRA I would have avoided as it deemed them as closed, but they weren't.

Thanks everyone.

I have no real intention of plotting any routes in anything other than BaseCamp, which I have grown to know and love.

I have though been a ‘Gold member’ of MyMap since it was first launched, so I thought I’d have a look. Not least, I wanted to see if I could get familiar with it, as so many problems (often unfairly blamed on Garmin) seem to come into the forum. The most common is discrepancies in routes, created in MyMap and then displayed on a Garmin device, which seem to vary. Here I was looking at the reverse, a route created in BaseCamp which was altered by MyRoute. OK, I’ll accept that the difference is small (I haven’t looked to see if there are any others) but it does show that - even using GPX (the global exchange method) discrepancies and oddities can and do creep in. Sticking in one form of software / one manufacturer (in my case, BaseCamp and Garmin) is usually the most reliable.

In short, check the route - irrespective of how or where or when or by whom it was created - before you set off. Errors are easier to correct at home, than on the roadside.

Back
Top Bottom