knut - Help with Norway - Larvik or Kristiansand to Lofoten area - inc Sweden

Don’t think she’s been on here for a while now.

as far as i recall hull (immingham) to gothenberg ferry is a funny one only about 10 cabins on one service the other boat was more like a pontoon with a portacabin on it.

on the return leg after being told the ferry didn't stop at kristiansand we stopped picked up a gsers and a transit... the approach road into the harbour was pretty steep...

as for sweden it was loads of trees, emply roads, then a big lake which seemed to go on for ever.... and ages after that we arrived in stockholm....

mental note to self mark the port as a gps point cos i got lost and nearly missed the boat...

OkÂ…Â…. so if I get the ferry from Hirtshals over to Norway ( Larvik or Kristiansand ) and want to take a scenic route up to the Lofoten area - but to include Sweden - what route would you recommend? :nenau
IÂ’ll be camping nearly every night and will have 5 weeks to get a good route in and back.

What time of year would you advise to avoid the worst of the mozzies and other tourists? :nenau

Here is my suggestion:
51579394734_67e267aaa4_c.jpg

You ask for a scenic route that includes Sweden. It's a bit like asking for a virgin and then insisting on it to be Joan Collins....

Anyway, the Pink route is the Joan Collins, while the Yellow part is the more scenic part (the virgin).

I realize the request is for Larvik or Kristiansand going to Lofoten. The allotted time of 5 weeks.

The Pink route is 7 450 km, while the doing the yellow detour ads 300 km. This means riding 6-7 hrs each day will take 3 weeks of riding. The yellow detour will mean one more day of riding.

Lofoten is definitely the most scenic part of the ride, but I have taken the liberty to suggest the north-eastern part as an ad on as well. This is not as scenic in the sense that it will make an impressive postcard, but it will offer a different experience.

The route will for instance take the rider to drive along a small creek along the Russian border, and distance from the tiny road to the other (Russian) side is close enough for a young man to be ble to pee on Russia (But if you do, the fines are rather HEAVY. There are cameras mounted discretely that will catch most of the activity).
What this area will show is an introduction to how harsh mother nature may be to the terrain when it's hammered by more storms than you care to count during the winter. And it will make you feel like on top of the world, and yet realize how tiny we as human beings are against mother nature. It will also offer a taste of the Sami culture, where people had to adapt to these harsh condition and still survive in style as well as to fishing villages facing the Barents sea.

I would also suggest to include some none-driving days. There are lots of stuff to see. What about a king crab excursion
http://www.barentssafari.no/en/activities-summer/king-crab-safari/,

or whale watching
https://www.whalesafari.no/?lang=en.

If you are into war history, there are small museums that covers the demise of the German battleships Tirpitz and Scharnhorst, and learn the story about how the allies where able to send them to where they belonged. A story about great people where inferior equipment was compensated for by bravery and wisdom.

Anyway, there is so much more that may make the ride so much more than just a pretty view, if one is only open minded and willing to take the time to find it. But I'll stop here and rather fill in later if anyone is interested.

It is hard to find full details of the route by looking at the picture, but I am happy to submit the GPX file for both the Yellow route and the Pink route. That way it is possible to pick the part that triggers the interest and omit the less interesting parts. Since I can not receive PM, publish an email address here for a little while, where @ is replaced by one or more X'es as X scattered inside will make the address fly under the radar for the search robots.

June may be too cold for fun (and camping), July is the busy month. But if 5 weeks are wanted, end of August will also start getting cool for camping. So even if busy, starting the first or second week of July will be a good compromise. Of course, this may be stretched at both ends, it's merely a case of bringing warmer gear :D

I'll just end this post by mentioning that the route starts in Larvik and ends in Kristiansand. No point in returning to Larvik, as it will merely cover an area of little interest. Both places offers ferry to Hirtshals.

Thank you, knutk.

Might I ask you, please:

A. If you would share what I think is a Garmin BaseCamp or MapSource file with us. It’s probably pretty large, so if you can find a way to share it with us through Dropbox or some similar free cloud based method, great.

B. By all means fill in the pieces, I am sure people would appreciate it.

Anyway, there is so much more that may make the ride so much more than just a pretty view, if one is only open minded and willing to take the time to find it. But I'll stop here and rather fill in later if anyone is interested.

Thank you.

Thank you, knutk.

Might I ask you, please:

A. If you would share what I think is a Garmin BaseCamp or MapSource file with us. It’s probably pretty large, so if you can find a way to share it with us through Dropbox or some similar free cloud based method, great.

B. By all means fill in the pieces, I am sure people would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Ok. Since the winter is ahead of us, no one will need this information tomorrow.

Give me some time, and i'll bake the different ' worth to see' spots into the route as named waypoints and describe why. This way one is free to pick what may be of interest and remove the rest from the route.

I do have a Dropbox account. I'll ask my kids how to make a file public :D

Indeed, no rush.

Thank you for working on sharing the route and ideas via Dropbox.

Richard

Thank you both knutk and Richard for all the effort you put into this.

I had originally planned on an extended trip around Norway for this year, that then became next year and it now almost certainly looks like it'll be 2023. I will look forward to routes and see what bits I might have missed.

as far as i recall hull (immingham) to gothenberg ferry is a funny one only about 10 cabins on one service the other boat was more like a pontoon with a portacabin on it.

on the return leg after being told the ferry didn't stop at kristiansand we stopped picked up a gsers and a transit... the approach road into the harbour was pretty steep...

as for sweden it was loads of trees, emply roads, then a big lake which seemed to go on for ever.... and ages after that we arrived in stockholm....

mental note to self mark the port as a gps point cos i got lost and nearly missed the boat...

Does anyone know if the Immingham to Gothenberg ferry is still running and if it is possible to get a passage with a motorcycle?

It's been a while, but here is an update.

I started out with a detailed description of the requsted route that started this post, but it soon became clear that the writing would become bloated to a size that no-one in his right mind would bother to read all of it.
Also, there are already lots of info on the net.

Most information is published covering the southern part of the country, so I wrote some info covering the North, and the rest is easy to find on net.

There are also the published National Tourist senic routs. But No GPX.

So, I have set up a folder on my OneDrive which is visible to the public, read only. But all the information may be downloaded and edited.

I have published a word file for the info, then a Folder with the previous requested suggested routes that started this thread, and another folder that has all the National Tourist routes as GPX files.

I have never done this type of publishing before, and I'm having a hard time to check if thee files works as intended for others.

Anyway, here is a link to my OneDrive:

Edit. Sorry, didn't work

In case anything does not work as intended I would very much like to hear about it, and a description of the problem.

I know this should have been published sooner, but a combination of computer crash, disk recovery and procrastination has all done it's contributen for the delay. :aidan

I tried to post a OneDrive link in the Post above, but did not succeed.

I will now try some other way.
Unfortunately, my post above is now blocked for editing, so here goes in a new post.

Link to files. as mentioned in the previous post:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmfM_-JW6FF44kM6PWuQ65bpQz4C?e=ZfI27L

Please let me know if it does not work...

Cheers Knutk,
Incredibly well timed, I'm heading off to Norway on Saturday. Aiming for Nordkapp and will review my planned route looking at these and see if there is anything I missed.

Well done.
I'm heading there 1 week today.
I'll make sure I read that before I go.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom