Torque wrench.

Scotsrick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not the usual looking for a recommendation as such (tho if you have any…)

Can I get a do it all torque wrench that covers most of the 1250?

What torque range do I need?

My BiL has a garage so if there is anything really high I can go on the mooch but otherwise I’d like to be able to tackle most of it.

Also is 3/8 man enough?

I've got 2 one up to 30nm for the small stuff 1/4 drive and a 3/8 for the rest which goes above the stuff for a gs,both snap-on but I'm a tool tart

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

For anything torque, Norbar British based at Banbury

Love that, must be good if it is made in Britain just like a Morris Marina or an Austin Allegro! Hang on a minute, I thought that this was a German bike forum. :blast

For non pro work norbar are fine, as has been said one for low and one for higher settings. New to BMW engines etc,but would imagine certain fixings may require angle torquing and the Snap On wrenches with digital settings can do angles,or a cheap angle guage can be found on ebay.
Whilst on this subject,working on Daimler Benz commercial engines we encounter a lot of stretch bolts that can only be used once,and then replaced, I would imagine that certain BMW bolts are similar.
If unsure about torque values there are plenty of charts on the Internet with basic settings for bolts of main metric sizes and tensile strengths. Various theories exist concerning the use of a lubricant on the thread pre tightening,as an apprentice, many years ago torques were always stated " with wet thread" the thought being lubrication of the thread made for a more accurate setting.
Certain modern bolts,if they have a silver finish should be fitted dry,as the coating doesn't like the addition of lubrication , as should use of a locking agent be done carefully,especially in aluminium bodies,and where its not practical to apply mild heat to ease locking agent,on our German built machines a two part product is used,I wonder if BMW use similar?
Sorry to ramble on,but I see lots of damage caused by incorrect fitting of fastners.

Being a lazy SOB I let BMW do all the spannering helped by the Maintenance Contract that covers the first 30K miles. By that time the new 1300 should be ready or who knows maybe back to a new K1600 although I have to say the GSA is a wonder, it'll take some beating.

No. You can't really get one that will cover everything.

You'll need two at least. Teng are decent and affordable.

Typically a 10-25 lb ft, a 20-120 and a 100-210 or similar to cover everything. They tend to be less accurate at the ends of the range.

Torque Wrench

Years ago I worked at a massive shipbuilding company that built a few nuclear submarines.
amongst other things the odd mark 8 gun,Seawolves and sea dart.

We had hundreds of torque limiting wrenches and torque multiplayers.
From Britool,snap on and by far the most reliable where Norbar stuff.

And when it did fall out of tolerance (in house calibration) and could not be adjusted
back in tolerance.
Norbar did service exchange replacement,their back up was fantastic.

Unless Norbar has gone the pan ????
My old norbar wrenches have been great over the years

Back
Top Bottom