1150 MoT failure - Headlamp Image

retroman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For the first time ever, my R1150GS (2002) has failed it's MoT - on "headlamp image", whatever the hell that is. It's a new one on my technician, and me.

I should say that the guy who has done my MoT's for years has recently retired, and he's been replaced by (ahem) " a stickler for detail", by all accounts :blast

I'm thinking that the OE headlamp has always been total shite, so If replacement is the only option I don't want to replace it with another OE.

Is there a upgrade available off the shelf? Any other recommendations please?

For starters I'd ask for clarification as to what the tester meant. There is a rotational adjustment on the 1150's which allows the dip to set for a left or right hand curb or a totally flat cut off. Be sure it isn't something simple like that before spending on a new unit. If the curb setting is correct and there is no damage or deterioration to the lens and/or reflector then the only other thing could be the aim is too high or low. There is the lever under the clocks to adjust the beam for solo or two up and loaded in addition to the external adjustment screws at the front.
Let us know what you find and how you get on

PS.
I agree the standard lights are abysmal so I have a 35w hid in the dip and an led in the main. Up until last year this had never been a problem and had passed the last 12 M.O.Ts. However last year it was specifically written into the tester's manual that if they weren't original equipment then they were an instant fail. So for the test I put the halogens back in then changed back to the hid/led when I got home. Pain in the backside but it served the purpose.

It's strange that improving the lights in an MOT fail. Crap lights good, better lights bad.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PPS.
Start cheap and simple with a new bulb

Thanks buellzebub.

It doesn't help that I'm away at the moment, I left instructions with my techhie to service and MoT the bike and the one year I'm inaccesssible, it fails the MoT:blast

I've already asked him to check the adjustments that you describe and he will change the bulb too. But he admits he's as mystified by this failure as I am.

I need to speak with the tester (as you suggest) and find out exactly what the issue is first. So I shall update when I've got some sense out of him.

However last year it was specifically written into the tester's manual that if they weren't original equipment then they were an instant fail.

There was special notice issued by DVSA revoking this, might be worth drawing it to the tester's attention. Mind you maybe easier to try somwhere else.

For the first time ever, my R1150GS (2002) has failed it's MoT - on "headlamp image", whatever the hell that is. It's a new one on my technician, and me.

I should say that the guy who has done my MoT's for years has recently retired, and he's been replaced by (ahem) " a stickler for detail", by all accounts :blast

I'm thinking that the OE headlamp has always been total shite, so If replacement is the only option I don't want to replace it with another OE.

Is there a upgrade available off the shelf? Any other recommendations please?

By headlamp image I assume he means beam pattern?

Number of possibilities it seems to me. 1. Your headlamp lens has got so cloudy, as they do with age, that the lens is acting like a diffuser and spreading light everywhere. 2. The bulb isnt installed properly and hence the filament is in slightly the wrong place giving incorrect beam pattern (unlikely but possible). 3. You have an aftermarket HID conversion fitted which is also giving a poor beam pattern. 4. Your headlight is simply aligned incorrectly.

R

I'm an MOT tester.

You probably don't need a new headlight.

See if your adjusters are free and moving first.
Check that the reflector inside the light hasn't delaminated or is broken.
Check the bulb is secure in it's holder (Main reason for bad beams is incorrect fitting of bulb).

If all these are find then it probably just needs a bit of adjustment.

And don't assume the MOT tester knows what he's doing too. Many MOT testers are absolute whoppers. They'll give an MOT licence to pretty much anyone.

You could also just take it for an MOT elsewhere. It will probably pass.

I’d be asking the tester exactly what he meant by his remark. If it’s a standard light and passed the MOT for the last 19 years without a problem then I think the tester needs to explain himself.

Hope you get it sorted, keep us updated

Thanks for all the replies and feedback which have been really enlightening:eyebrow

My tecchie has had the headlamp apart and it appears that the MoT tester was quite correct in failing it!

List of faults:

- internal dome reflector thingy has gone milky/misty with age
- one up/two up adjuster completely disengaged, and has been for years by the looks of it :eek:
- positional adjusters siezed
- bulb was weak and needed replacing
- base of headlight badly corroded

In my defence, I don't ride at night and all I've done for 19 years re: maintenance is wipe the dead flies off the lens. As it's always passed the MoT I assumed all was well. But we know all about "ass-u-me", don't we ...?

So a new lamp is on order and I'll update when I'm back on the road. The bike will shortly be renamed from 'Helga' to 'Trigger's Broom':blast

Cheers all.

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom