Squeezing the trigger.......

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm holding my breath, applying light pressure on the trigger, to take up the gap. Aligned the target, But wait..........

I cant take the shot.

Twice I've taken out the New 21 RT, and both times found it cramped. Knees up high. I want the RT next to my GSA. Is it just me, or are the footpegs high ? After market pegs to drop them down?

I'm holding my breath, applying light pressure on the trigger, to take up the gap. Aligned the target, But wait..........

I cant take the shot.

Twice I've taken out the New 21 RT, and both times found it cramped. Knees up high. I want the RT next to my GSA. Is it just me, or are the footpegs high ? After market pegs to drop them down?

Would the high seat solve your problem ?

Distance from seat to pegs is the first thing I look at when buying a bike. Good luck finding a peg lowering kit.:thumb2

Distance from seat to pegs is the first thing I look at when buying a bike. Good luck finding a peg lowering kit.:thumb2

Oh well:D

I see it is mentioned now and then here ......

Oh well:D

I see it is mentioned now and then here ......

I can't understand why they'd design a touring bike with a cramped riding position, it's a pet hate of mine.:mad:

I'd enquire with the dealer if there's any lowering kits available and maybe negotiate it into a deal if there is one.
Perhaps they'd even fit it for you.

I can't understand why they'd design a touring bike with a cramped riding position:mad:

I completely agree, It doesn't make sense to me. And was quite surprised during the test ride.

I cant take the shot.

I tried one, seemed the perfect compromise for European touring on road 2 up, until I rode one :blast

Unfortunately I found the foot pegs way too high, as others have said, makes no sense for a tourer

A few more observations here:
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...off-on-an-RT?p=6039058&viewfull=1#post6039058

Wunderlich do a footpeg lowering kit and I understand BMW can supply a taller seat. 4min https://youtu.be/TkZyL96B2cY

For sure, only a midget would describe the leg position as roomy and at first I too was unsure, but I kind of got used to it. At 62yrs old, 1.8m tall and famously inflexible I find it very comfy. Maybe after 3 full days a small ache but these days that's not much on an issue and a small price to pay.

As always, an hour long testride doesn't mean much

Guess it depends on your vitals. I'm 5ft 8 and have done 100s 1000s of miles on RTs and never found the posn cramped.

Possibly? Ill see if the dealership have a high seat option and take it out again.

I found with the seat in its high position that the handle bars were too low. I didn’t keep the bike but if I did I’d have preferred to try lower pegs. JJH

Earlier this year did 1000+ miles around Scotland on '21 1250RT with seat set high. Knees did hurt at the end of the day .
Fitted Wunderlich peg lowering kit (bloody expensive) and have since done Wales and Cornwall in one trip and just got back from Norfolk and South cost and knees are fine.
I'm 6ft so not exactly a giant, so as others have said, can't understand why they are so high. Lowering kit definitely helped.

Make sure you have a puncture repair kit and air pump, for some reason keep getting back tyre punctures (Pilot Road 5 GT). Not even nails, a small piece of flint both times.

At 6’3” with lowered pegs and high seat, I couldn’t live with it, too cramped on longer trips, it had to go .

No problem for a short arse like me.:D

I can't understand why they'd design a touring bike with a cramped riding position, it's a pet hate of mine.:mad:

If they build a bike for an average height rider and then ensure the ground clearance is good enough to approach the limit of adhesion the distance from seat to pegs is pretty well defined for them. If they lowered the pegs half the potential buyers would complain that they touched down to easily.

If they build a bike for an average height rider and then ensure the ground clearance is good enough to approach the limit of adhesion the distance from seat to pegs is pretty well defined for them. If they lowered the pegs half the potential buyers would complain that they touched down to easily.

It's not only the height of the pegs that causes a cramped riding position. They could have positioned the pegs
further forward as opposed to the present 'rearset' position. If you look at an RT1100 for example, you'll see what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom