Stopping rain going down neck?

steviegasgas

Reaction score
Hi folks, can anyone recommend a waterproof neck liner? My idea of something working would be a pull over yer head Goretex or similar product, lies tight on your neck and goes over the top of your jacket collar.
I had a Hein Gericke suit 20 years ago that had a great neck piece that was fixed to the jacket which did a similar job but haven’t seen anything like it on all the new suits.
Rain going down yer neck seems to be the easiest access point but yet is ignored.
What can people recommend??
Cheers. :)

The detachable neoprene storm collars that come with Rukka jackets are great.

Rather than the supplied thermal insert, I use a cheap Regatta fleece under my HG Jacket when commuting - it's a Cruise model that came with the neck thing you refer to. I stand up the fleece collar so it pokes out of the top of the jacket. This seems to give a decent seal and I get very little ingress even in torrential rain. I used the same approach with my Rukka jacket last month when going to Scotland. The weather varied from 25C to 5C with rain so a fleece was ideal as a thermal layer and something I could wear in the evening. Even for 100+ miles in pissing rain on the M6/M5 it did not let water in on my journey home.

I can't use the HG supplied neck thing as I am built like a Sontaran with little neck to speak of, so the fleece provides enough of a fill for me.

Hi, tried these, the ROOSTER things, I did contact them 2 years ago after buying them. Only the coloured part is waterproof, about 2/3rds of it, the other part is not, they know this but sell it as waterproof. I bought 3 for me and 2 mates for a wet Lakes tour and they are better than a normal snood but are NOT waterproof. But yet could be for very little changing to the design.

Rukka is next on my list but looking at them last week in Infknity I didn’t see any suits with decent neck sealing? Maybe need to look harder!! Lol.

Rukka is next on my list but looking at them last week in Infknity I didn’t see any suits with decent neck sealing? Maybe need to look harder!! Lol.

part of the sealing is your helmet. My Shoei Neotec has a shroud at the base which is primarily there to reduce noise but it will also reduce any vortex that could aid water ingress

of course, if you have a neck more like Peter Crouch than Gladstone Small then YMMV...

I used to use a Worthington bar towel. Now just an unbranded bit of towel as a scarf.

Hi , Shoei GT Air I have. I think I will try and buy some fabric and make my own. Can’t be that difficult!! Lol.

Hi folks, can anyone recommend a waterproof neck liner? My idea of something working would be a pull over yer head Goretex or similar product, lies tight on your neck and goes over the top of your jacket collar.

Have a look at these.

I’ve a Rev’it Amazon Balaclava with a Goretex neck collar. It’s brilliant but I’ve had it years so not sure if they do it still without checking.

Dainese used to do one of these. They are great.
a93b56ef827fd1c52c51d51b91449829.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Just look for "Storm Collar". I think all/most of the waterproof jackets have one. Obviously not the mesh jackets though.

It just zips on an off and can be stored in a pocket when not in use. When it's going to be wet, zip it on, wrap it around your neck and then put your helmet on and fasten the chin strap over it. Keeps you dry as a bone.

Of course, buying a Rukka jacket to get a dry neck probably isn't the most cost effective way to do things, but you'll get a great jacket as part of the deal!

Thanks everyone, yes the Dainese looks exactly like I was envisaging, the Klim looks good too. If can’t buy one might still make one! Lol.

Back
Top Bottom