Rear brake callipers bolts (am I dreaming?)

Richardstables

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I have owned an r1200GS (2017) and now have a 2020 R1250GSA. When I had my R1200GS I could swear that the rear brake callipers bolts had micro encapsulated thread lock on them. I used to clean these up and use blue loctite whenever I took the calliper off for cleaning etc. I carried on using blue loctite with my R1250GSA. I recently came across a torque setting list that shows the R1250GS as now having no loctite for the rear calliper bolts. I just wanted to confirm if this was correct and wondered why BMW changed this on what looks to me like an identical Brembo calliper……..OR did I I just dream it all and make up the use of Thread Lock ??????

If you buy new bolts for the 1250 from BMW mine were microencapsulated

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Hi, I have owned an r1200GS (2017) and now have a 2020 R1250GSA. When I had my R1200GS I could swear that the rear brake callipers bolts had micro encapsulated thread lock on them. I used to clean these up and use blue loctite whenever I took the calliper off for cleaning etc. I carried on using blue loctite with my R1250GSA. I recently came across a torque setting list that shows the R1250GS as now having no loctite for the rear calliper bolts. I just wanted to confirm if this was correct and wondered why BMW changed this on what looks to me like an identical Brembo calliper……..OR did I I just dream it all and make up the use of Thread Lock ??????

I recently greased the splines on the drive and of course removed the rear calliper. The bolts on my 2021 most definitely had some threadlocker… they were flipping tight, felt a lot tighter than 24nm.

because bolts are suppose to be buy new from BMW with loctite on already, they say use once, but I agree I did like you before, not so more with calipers falling off

It's the single use game plan, as used by many car manufacturers.

You can always go to someone like racebolt - predrilled for wiring available, if required.

Or clean them up and then use thread locker again. Having worked in engineering for my whole life I have heard nothing so ridiculous as using new bolts every time - if they were retained at high torques with a risk of "stretching" the threads then I could understand it - but at 24nm - come on!

Or clean them up and then use thread locker again. Having worked in engineering for my whole life I have heard nothing so ridiculous as using new bolts every time - if they were retained at high torques with a risk of "stretching" the threads then I could understand it - but at 24nm - come on!

suppose they take out the risk of someone, just using socket no torque, so covered by law

Completely agree. As long as there's no 'necking' on the bolt, I'd just keep using them.

How long does it take to remove old Loctite from a bolt and clean it, perhaps ten minutes?
Two bolts = 20 minutes.

Twenty minutes of shop time will cost the customer way more than buying two new bolts....

This. Like a lot of things. If you don’t know what you’re doing, or why you’re doing it, then follow the manual.
If you do know, and why, then you can decide for yourself.

Completely agree. It's ridiculous.

I've always serviced my bikes myself (bar the odd occasion, single figures). On my TC I've just serviced the FD, again, before a long trip in the next days. I've never even used thread lock, just torqued as per the book. Each time I come to undo them, they're tight and as I left them....

I did note a post some while back stating the LC bikes have a fine thread or smaller diameter (rear caliper in particular) dia bolt? Is that true? Or did I misunderstand?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Completely agree. It's ridiculous.

I've always serviced my bikes myself (bar the odd occasion, single figures). On my TC I've just serviced the FD, again, before a long trip in the next days. I've never even used thread lock, just torqued as per the book. Each time I come to undo them, they're tight and as I left them....

I did note a post some while back stating the LC bikes have a fine thread or smaller diameter (rear caliper in particular) dia bolt? Is that true? Or did I misunderstand?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

They all have a M8 bolt.

According to the rep DVD, (2014) the 1200 aircooled bikes are not specified to use threadlock. Neither are the first 1200 LC bikes.

However, at some point BMW have changed their tune, and in the newest DVD (2019, updatable), the LC bikes are specified to use Threadlock. I do not have an updated 1200 aircooled DVD, so I have no knowledge if this change also apply to the aircooled bikes.

Back
Top Bottom