2022 K1600

It looks like the ability to use a Navigator V / VI has been dropped, in favour of the very big TFT screen.

f4a2a0da7d1d4a06ec35cbd2422b6ab3.png

I don’t know enough about the BMW navigation app, to know if it’s any good for creating bespoke (as opposed to ‘Take me from A to B down wiggly roads no motorways’) routes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UJ3o2dI8zDA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Richard.
Perhaps you can still make routes up on a computer and import them onto the bike. Like they can on a Gold Wing.

Richard.
Perhaps you can still make routes up on a computer and import them onto the bike. Like they can on a Gold Wing.

On the cars you could send a destination from a phone to the my drive app or whatever it was called which sent it to the car. Never tried a route though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard.

That is what I am wondering.

As Berin said, my old M1 BMW was able to accept .GPX routes into its somewhat basic navigation system but that required a USB stick, I vaguely recall. I will play around with the app, to see what’s what.

Edit…..

As usual, Google has the answer…..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AyytF0Z_us8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You might be able to test it by downloading the the My BMW app. I’ve sold my BMW now, so no longer have the app, but you could try email yourself a route, download to the phone, then open the share tray and try to open it in My Drive.

Even if that works, there’s no telling what the route would end up like in the bike, but worth a play around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have bought myself an 850 GSA, which has all the TFT screen thing malarkey and (I guess) the ability to connect to the BMW Connected app, so I will play around. The bike also has the cradle for a Nav V / VI and iWheel controller thing, so I’ll be able to see what the Connected app changes, if anything.

It’s encouraging that the video shows that it’s possible to send .GPX files from BaseCamp into a smart phone and then into the TFT screen. Assuming it works OK, I’ll be still be able to use BaseCamp and / or not have to dump the loads of routes I have collected over the years. Who knows, I may even get to like the phone app. I don’t have an XT, so I do miss out on some of its ability to accept GPX routes from say, an iPad. The Connected app might give an alternative.

I have bought myself an 850 GSA, which has all the TFT screen thing malarkey and (I guess) the ability to connect to the BMW Connected app, so I will play around. The bike also has the cradle for a Nav V / VI and iWheel controller thing, so I’ll be able to see what the Connected app changes, if anything.

It’s encouraging that the video shows that it’s possible to send .GPX files from BaseCamp into a smart phone and then into the TFT screen. Assuming it works OK, I’ll be still be able to use BaseCamp and / or not have to dump the loads of routes I have collected over the years. Who knows, I may even get to like the phone app. I don’t have an XT, so I do miss out on some of its ability to accept GPX routes from say, an iPad. The Connected app might give an alternative.

I shall await your reports with interest. I too have a tft bike but have yet to figure why I would want to use the app, rather than my Nav5/6. The fact the RT now has no facility for a standalone GPS would be enough to stop me buying one.

I shall await your reports with interest. I too have a tft bike but have yet to figure why I would want to use the app, rather than my Nav5/6. The fact the RT now has no facility for a standalone GPS would be enough to stop me buying one.

Got to agree with that. That’s one of the things I like on the Goldwing, a built in sat nav.

I like the phone app. I can put in multiple destinations on the app and puts it straight onto the tft.
Is it the large tft on the gs850 ?

Unless I can convince myself the Goldwing TFT and navigation is as good as BMW I think I’ll be sticking with BM.

I think app, TFT & navigation are brilliant. Come to think about it, their switch gear superb too.

Unless I can convince myself the Goldwing TFT and navigation is as good as BMW I think I’ll be sticking with BM.

I think app, TFT & navigation are brilliant. Come to think about it, their switch gear superb too.

You’ll be staying with BMW then.on the Goldwing It is good having built in satnav but some people say it’s a bit clunky to use.

Meant like the one on the RT and the new K1600.

The 850’s TFT screen seems to be the same size as that on the current GS / GSA. Only the RT and now the 1600 benefit from the larger screen’s capabilities.

You’ll be staying with BMW then.on the Goldwing It is good having built in satnav but some people say it’s a bit clunky to use.

I’d really like to try the DCT box, but as great as the GW is, the whole dash and switchgear on the Honda seem dated. I seem to remember the cruise control was on the rhs which is daft. An amazing bike all the same.

I’d really like to try the DCT box, but as great as the GW is, the whole dash and switchgear on the Honda seem dated. I seem to remember the cruise control was on the rhs which is daft. An amazing bike all the same.

The DCT box is great. The trouble is it takes a lot of miles until it ‘learns’ your style of riding. I agree about the cruise control.

Back
Top Bottom