Advice On Valve Clearance Adjustment Please

iain1067

Reaction score
So the last major job on my 2007 GS 1200 is the valve clearances, any advice welcome, I have bought the factory locking tool but just wondered if the head/rocker cover seals were re usable at all?? Somehow I doubt it lol.

Funny the last time I used feeler gauges and valve clearances was when I had a Ford Cortina and a Ford Capri, I do still have a timing light but I don't think I will need it on the GS!!

thanks

Iain

The seals can be used multiple times. Remember to take out the rocker end float before adjusting the clearances.:okay

I never have replaced any seals on any of my Gs's as they are always good to go again.

The advice to do the endfloat first is not only good, it's essential. I always went for the minimum end float
(A couple of thou iirc) as this gave the quieter engine i found. You will of course need a torque wrench for the job.

Thanks for the tips endfloat what's all that about then?? Cheers Iain

My 2010 GSA is approaching 40k miles and so far the valves have not once been out of tolerance, last check done in September just before I went to France for five days.

My 2010 GSA is approaching 40k miles and so far the valves have not once been out of tolerance, last check done in September just before I went to France for five days.

That's a TC, he's talking about a SC Snoots. Very different proposition :thumb2

end float is what shuts up the noise... half the dealers never bother - bodging ba******

use two feeler gauges so you get a better reading per valve (as in fill the gap on both pairs of valves as u adjust one at a time)

Does the bike have to be warm to do this? My garage is like 10 - 12 degs c at the moment???

I think 25c would be better... run it for a few 4mins then let it settle for 15 mins before giving it a go - cold means ambient rather than depressing damp UK winter (or an hour after a ride and see where it is - but that depends how windy)

I think 25c would be better... run it for a few 4mins then let it settle for 15 mins before giving it a go - cold means ambient rather than depressing damp UK winter (or an hour after a ride and see where it is - but that depends how windy)

You are overthinking it.

quick search -

a triumph the tolerances are supposed to be measured at ... 20C (25C?), and unless you're in Arizonoa, it probably isn't 20C in your garage right now.

on an old Porsche document you need it at 90C to set valve clearances up correctly

and I found a 4 page thread arguing 1 thou change between 10C and 20C but they couldn't make up their mind if it would be bigger or smaller

Back
Top Bottom