Fjallraven gear, why so good?

smally

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone enlighten me why fjallraven gear is so expensive? I had done of the gear about 25 years ago and found it very purposeful but was wondering why it's so expensive. What are any of your thoughts. Have only seen the trousers and yes they seem very good so any opinions reviews etc grateful as Xmas gift may be a pair of the them!!!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Yep, what experience do you have of them?

Yep, what experience do you have of them?

My only real experience with them is having bought Susan a poncho type thing https://www.fjallraven.com/uk/en-gb/women/jackets/winter-jackets/luhkka?v=F80637::7392158874231

she loves it it seems bomb proof in its construction and just performs as it should - no fuss no faults

I keep getting tempted to this
https://www.fjallraven.com/uk/en-gb/men/jackets/shell-jackets/smock-no-1-m?v=F81841::7323450078232

but I have too many coats as is

There's an outdoor clothing shop near here that used to sell it. Out of the blue they stopped selling it and I asked the shop owner why? His reply was that he couldn't sell it as 'We don't get the winters'

Best of gear.

Had a few bits of Fjallraven kit over the years. Well made and never had an issue. Just bought a pair of their walking trousers.
Guy who owns the outdoor shop (who I’ve known for years) swears by them.
They seem very well put together with some well thought out features.
Not cheap, but I don’t mind paying extra for kit that’ll last and last.

What ones did you get? Thinking of a pair for dog walking, hill walking and general around and about!

Daily professional use outdoors and they are by far my preference for most of the year. Incredible tough and for me a very good comfortable fit. To be honest I tend to wear them most of the time. Vida Pro is my favoured.

Very good quality - you get what you pay for

Not made in a Chinese sweat shop

Does this help ?

Where are they made then?

I have 3 shirts made by them that I just wear and wear.

Always avoided the trousers, as the one's I look at needed turning up.

Also considered the tents, but reluctant to buy what I suspect Chinese goods.

I put Fjallraven in the same company as Arcteryx and Harkila, with nothing more than offices in Sweden/Canada/Denmark, great marketing team, and factories overseas.

Like Barbour Jackets, Rukka bike gear, Churches shoes. You get what you pay for and Fjallraven is top drawer.

Like Barbour Jackets, Rukka bike gear, Churches shoes. You get what you pay for and Fjallraven is top drawer.

errr don't put Rukka on the same quality for me. Had 2 jackets now fail and let water through. First one was replaced after 50 000 miles and 6 years. Nice result from Gore Tex (not rukka) Replacement one has been used less in the last 2 years and has leaked. Sent back again via gore tex for further investigation. If they offer me choice of a a replacement I'll try get a stadler.

I pretty much live in Fjallraven trousers. I have several pairs. Not actually managed to wear any out yet. Lovely fabric, comfortable and fast drying...

I use their shirts when touring. Don’t seem to crease, wash and dry very quickly. Lasted for years. Similar looking Polo shirts fade, take ages to dry. No comparison on quality, Fjallraven stuff is top quality.

I don’t have an issue with ‘made in China’.
What matters is the quality control

I've had all manner of different jackets over the years... the fjallraven was pretty good, but I've now gone Skogen it's german brand and I like it... but each to their own

I still have and keep my berghaus goretex extreme stuff as a shell i've got some arcteryx walking sallopets which are biblical amounts of money.... wax cotton to blend into the country set driazabone is good... so the saying there's no such thing as bad weather just incorrect clothing is very true..

I don’t have an issue with ‘made in China’.
What matters is the quality control

My issue is the smoke and mirrors of it being an authentic Scandinavian product.

Like apple and Tesla products, it's all marketing bullshit for stuff knocked out in China!

No takers for a Zhongshan tent ... but add a few Swedish words, and a photo of the Northern Lights and it's a well spent grand.

My issue is the smoke and mirrors of it being an authentic Scandinavian product.

Like apple and Tesla products, it's all marketing bullshit for stuff knocked out in China!

No takers for a Zhongshan tent ... but add a few Swedish words, and a photo of the Northern Lights and it's a well spent grand.

Apple's business model is not based on product sales, rather on storage subscription. Which is incidental to where the original product is made. As for gear that costs more..In my 25 years in and around outdoor gear/camping/kayaking, canoeing, walking etc..you deffo get what you pay for. Sure decathlon £8 sweat shirts or £10 raincoats work. Mostly bloody well but they don't breathe or last the 20 years that others do.
I have a patagonia jacket that has lasted 18 years, still fully waterproof and looks the shiz.
I have a lowe Alpine fluffy fleece and waterproof pants that's 16 years old
montane pants that are 20 years old
I have a Karrimor backpack that has been abused for 25 years and still works
I bought a Blacks Technical back pack 3 years ago and the stitching is coming loose.. its not always where it is made, more so the materials, quality control and the backup of a reputation to protect through warranty. Patagonia and a few others have a lifetime warranty that works..

I dont have many

Apple's business model is not based on product sales, rather on storage subscription. Which is incidental to where the original product is made. As for gear that costs more..In my 25 years in and around outdoor gear/camping/kayaking, canoeing, walking etc..you deffo get what you pay for. Sure decathlon £8 sweat shirts or £10 raincoats work. Mostly bloody well but they don't breathe or last the 20 years that others do.
I have a patagonia jacket that has lasted 18 years, still fully waterproof and looks the shiz.
I have a lowe Alpine fluffy fleece and waterproof pants that's 16 years old
montane pants that are 20 years old
I have a Karrimor backpack that has been abused for 25 years and still works
I bought a Blacks Technical back pack 3 years ago and the stitching is coming loose.. its not always where it is made, more so the materials, quality control and the backup of a reputation to protect through warranty. Patagonia and a few others have a lifetime warranty that works..

I dont have many

I swear by Patagonia, and still have everything I have bought in 20 years, bar one Snap T fleece that got burned camping.

Back
Top Bottom