R1100GS it broke down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiRich

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My R1100GS has been going great guns, until today.

I noticed it felt a bit lumpy on the choke this morning on startup, I get to the motorway within a mile, and cruise at about 60….deffo feels a tad rough and not quite as smoothly a sort of mini surging it just felt a bit off, a couple of mins later, it cuts out - absolutely no power on the throttle and I’m in the middle lane of motorway at rush hour, clutch in and dive for the oh…….

It was one of those smart motorways so nack all hard shoulder, find a small edging to the left of the white line to pull into and traffic rattles past while I spend the next ten mins turning the starter in an attempt to get it to fire up.

After about ten mins of trying off/on on the starter motor the clocks reset, I thought it was game over, starter wouldn’t even turn at this point but that could have been me flustered leaving side stand down.

Turned it off and back on again in one last desperate attempt, hurrah starter seems to turn over fine (again) and this time she starts and I chug into the services and continue the rest of my motorway journey as normal and bike was fine on way home.

Battery has been on an optimate, trip to garage me thinks.

My worst nightmare, something like that happening on a ‘smart’ motorway… Glad you’re ok :thumb2

My worst nightmare, something like that happening on a ‘smart’ motorway… Glad you’re ok :thumb2

Thanks, it was a tad daunting at the time! My first post covid work commute in nearly 18 months, not one i’ll forget!

Another cause could possibly be the ignition switch. Corrosion can cause problems. A clean and squirt with acf50 gt85 or wd40 at both ends of the ignition switch wire can help. The switch end can be awkward to remove. There is a small grub screw on the right hand side. If you follow the other end of the wire the connector is under the tank.

Partially blocked fuel tank vent? Opening the cap or a wait will be a temporary fix

Sounds like hall sensors breaking down

Ditto... My old R11Gs did exactly that and at the time Steptoe gave the nod to Halls sensor... Worth checking the ignition wire near switch but I'm on halls sensor... Riding along, runs rough, cuts out, electrics play silly buggers as you try n start... Cools down and back to normal for time being...

Another cause could possibly be the ignition switch. Corrosion can cause problems. A clean and squirt with acf50 gt85 or wd40 at both ends of the ignition switch wire can help. The switch end can be awkward to remove. There is a small grub screw on the right hand side. If you follow the other end of the wire the connector is under the tank.
I was wondering that too. Does the 1100 have the same issue with the little loom coming out of the ignition barrel being constrained by the zip tie, breaking the wires?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I was wondering that too. Does the 1100 have the same issue with the little loom coming out of the ignition barrel being constrained by the zip tie, breaking the wires?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yes it does.

Yes it does.

I've had the ignition wire failure and there is no starter at all... Usually either live or dead electrics as that's the function of the switch...

The wire can still be good but corrosion can affect the connectors at both ends of the ignition wire. A scrape of the green corrosion with a wire brush or pipe cleaner and a spray of acf50 can restore things...

I’m still battling this issue following 3 break downs and I need the bike sold (obv on hold) as I bought a newer bike too good to turn down. Hall Sensor declared ok by two separate garages-its been run hot. Throttle bodies balanced. TPS swapped out, spark plugs swapped out and then break down 3 occurred. It’s broke down three times within about a mile of home, it just cuts out even though the throttle is twisted , maybe the odd pop and loud bang but always restarts after 5 mins , I’ve taken it to a local shop who have relieved me of £450 inc the TPS and declare they can’t re create, pissed off with them to say the least. Mot has now run out and I’d sorned it. There are steepish downward hills from my home where two of the breakdowns occurred but the fuel tank has not been anywhere near empty.

I do think on break down 3 after I nudged it nearer home and it cut out again on my street, that the fuel pump? started whirring of its own accord when bike being free wheeled.

Any suggestions for a good bike shop c50 miles of Halifax/Hudds who are willing to delve into a problem

I’d sorned it and the mot has run out now so need to consider that and new insurance.

I’m half inclined to start to pull it apart myself what do you guys think, injectors, fuel pump, electrical eg ignition.

Steve Trehern aka Rainbow motorcycles has moved out to Brigg so I’m stretching the 50 miles but he’d certainly be a consideration IMO.

I’m still battling this issue following 3 break downs and I need the bike sold (obv on hold) as I bought a newer bike too good to turn down. Hall Sensor declared ok by two separate garages-its been run hot. Throttle bodies balanced. TPS swapped out, spark plugs swapped out and then break down 3 occurred. It’s broke down three times within about a mile of home, it just cuts out even though the throttle is twisted , maybe the odd pop and loud bang but always restarts after 5 mins , I’ve taken it to a local shop who have relieved me of £450 inc the TPS and declare they can’t re create, pissed off with them to say the least. Mot has now run out and I’d sorned it. There are steepish downward hills from my home where two of the breakdowns occurred but the fuel tank has not been anywhere near empty.

I do think on break down 3 after I nudged it nearer home and it cut out again on my street, that the fuel pump? started whirring of its own accord when bike being free wheeled.

Any suggestions for a good bike shop c50 miles of Halifax/Hudds who are willing to delve into a problem

I’d sorned it and the mot has run out now so need to consider that and new insurance.

I’m half inclined to start to pull it apart myself what do you guys think, injectors, fuel pump, electrical eg ignition.

I still wouldn't rule out the hall sensor the only thing you haven't replaced. Even if two people say it's ok.

Had similar issues with my own r1100gs. In the end I traced the fault to the side stand switch. I disconnected the switch and bypassed it by bridging the terminals.
Might be worth a try. You just need to remember to lift your side stand before riding off!

Had similar issues with my own r1100gs. In the end I traced the fault to the side stand switch. I disconnected the switch and bypassed it by bridging the terminals.
Might be worth a try. You just need to remember to lift your side stand before riding off!

If you do a search for the side stand thing, seems to be a common theme!

Thanks guys I appreciate the suggestions, it’s a bloody nightmare when you chuck £450 at a cheap ish bike for the garage to achieve f all.

Thanks guys I appreciate the suggestions, it’s a bloody nightmare when you chuck £450 at a cheap ish bike for the garage to achieve f all.

WTF did they do for £450 !

my 1150 would , cough and spit whilst driving , be hard to start even when hot , s/m would crank REALLY slowly , like the battery was flat , would cut out at the lights and while moving .

eventually it stopped. turn ign on , i would get the sound of frying bacon , around the injectors , as the h/sensors switched the injectors on and off .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom