Keis or Gerbing? Preference?

hawkeye

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a new heated body warmer or possibly heated jacket (haven't decided yet) in the next couple of weeks (with the Keis it would be the Premium range)

Anyone any preferences on either as they both look much of a muchness to me, so any experiences or "watch out for's" appreciated

TIA

Neither.

Warm & Safe is the only one that's got it right...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Neither.

Bit rash, why have they got it right then? Warm and Safe were founded from the Gerbing crowd. Anyways, I have just bought the Gerbing Premium jacket and it is brilliant. I have always had Gerbing gloves, had an issue with one after about 6 years and the gloves were replaced no questions asked. I have friends who also have Keis, so think either is good.

i have the keis waistecoat,it has three settings ,i wear it over the top of a t shirt,it keeps your kidneys and your chest warm ,i find it brilliant.

Bit rash, why have they got it right then? Warm and Safe were founded from the Gerbing crowd. Anyways, I have just bought the Gerbing Premium jacket and it is brilliant. I have always had Gerbing gloves, had an issue with one after about 6 years and the gloves were replaced no questions asked. I have friends who also have Keis, so think either is good.
Rash? Really?

W&S have created heated jackets, base layers and trousers that can sit close to your body, under your existing clothes - especially the base layer top which I'm seriously considering myself instead of my existing jacket liner - the consequences of this is that you get way more heat for less power draw, the liners are unobtrusive by fitting under your existing gear. Neither of the others come close.

Yes, there's an old story attached to Gebring and W&S. Look it up. W&S came out the other side in the right direction. But that's my opinion of course.

If you want the heated gear for the moto, then W&S is a no brainer - that's my recommendation. If you want gear to take the cold edge off watching a match from the sidelines or working outside, the others will be just fine.

Rash? Really?

W&S have created heated jackets, base layers and trousers that can sit close to your body, under your existing clothes - especially the base layer top which I'm seriously considering myself instead of my existing jacket liner - the consequences of this is that you get way more heat for less power draw, the liners are unobtrusive by fitting under your existing gear. Neither of the others come close.

Yes, there's an old story attached to Gebring and W&S. Look it up. W&S came out the other side in the right direction. But that's my opinion of course.

If you want the heated gear for the moto, then W&S is a no brainer - that's my recommendation. If you want gear to take the cold edge off watching a match from the sidelines or working outside, the others will be just fine.

Don’t agree with that!

Warm and Safe maybe fantastic as you say but Keis gear works perfectly well for me right through winter.

I use the jacket under my Rukka or Belstaff when it’s really cold, and the waistcoat in the autumn. Both are very close fitting to the merino base layer I wear underneath and provide plenty of heat, which keeps me warm and toasty even on long Motorway runs. I also have the remote control, which is very handy, and have used the heated gloves which work extremely well with the jacket.

IMHO the Keis is a very competent set up.

Neither.

Utter Tosh. I have Gerbing gloves, Keis waistcoat and Keis heated inner soles. They all work well. The Keis items are entering their 7th winter in service and both items together draw under 3A. The Keis jacket is rarely used on anything lower than the lowest of 3 settings.

As for the choice of jacket over waistcoat, then it all depends on the sleeves of the jacket you wear. I prefer to wear my Hein Gericke Cruise or Rukka Chariklo without the winter liner. I wear 3 layers underneath in the colder weather. A long sleeved T shirt, then the Keis waistcoat and, if needed, a regular fleece jacket. I find the 2 layers in the arms are adequate to keep them warm as my hands are inside muffs with heated grips.

The Keis heated insoled are the game changer for winter riding in my view. I used to suffer cold feet but not since 2015!

Rash? Really?

Also if you bother to google, there are more than one review where people have have had issues and W&S have been less than helpful. But I guess all manufacturers have had issues.

Also if you bother to google, there are more than one review where people have have had issues and W&S have been less than helpful. But I guess all manufacturers have had issues.
Aware of those. But as you say, it's not unique to W&S...

I haven't meant to come across as rash (harsh?). It's just that I've tried the others and ended up a real advocate of W&S. If one of those other brands or another new brand appeared with a same/similar concept, I'd be looking at them too. It's not so much the brand as how the solution has been executed. I guess I'm someone who wants to wear my usual bike gear and just slip the heated gear underneath, if I need or want to. I don't want 'another jacket'.

Saying all this, perhaps Fizzer's comment about using the gillet/waistcoat will work better for many (from the other brands I mean). I'm about to do a 2 day ride in sub zero temps. In that situation my W&S liner will probably be on 50-60% (it was on about 40% in 3°). It's the only gear I've used that will actually warm you up rather than just hold back the cold.

I have been using Gerbing for years, as someone else mentioned the warranty is great, no quibble. They replaced a pair of gloves for me that must have been 4 years old. I have used the jacket in sub zero temps and it works, as do the gloves. My pals run Gerbing and Kies. My experience is they both work really well, making winter riding possible.

Oh great, a fight.

Bring it on. I am in the pub in St Omer.

PS RapidFire / Powerlet invented the latest generation of heated clothing. I bought mine from America and am using it today at 4 degrees C. I deserve a medal.

65788f9745dfa438f9ed686e6e5988f4.jpg

https://www.thewarmingstore.com/powerlet-rapidfire-heated-jacket-liner.html

Oh great, a fight.

Bring it on. I am in the pub in St Omer.

PS RapidFire, invented the latest generation of heated clothing. I bought mine from America and am using it today at 4 degrees C. I deserve a medal.

Nah we’re all agreeing that heated clothing is great!

Unless you’re JB and you’ve SORNED all your road bikes so you don’t need it ;) :D

Think all gear is good. My Gerbing Jacket (only bought it a couple of weeks ago) is fantastic, heats the neck as well. I also like the bluetooth controller. I personally want something I can put over my base layer, but under my jacket, so basically replacing the jacket liner. But each to their own :)

14b3040c7cf8e61cb37b790f4ab22daa.jpg

It’s a college town, so much of the clientele is easy on the eye…. And they are intrigued why I am out and about with my awesome (steed). Happy days.

But Wapping, isn't it much like the Keis and Gerbing gear ie. 'another jacket'? Hard to tell from website images?

ps. No chance of you getting lost I see

pps. 100 miles SE of there, low temps and some snow forecast into the weekend. You're gonna need the electricity!

no brainer Keis, uk company, uk distribution, the people on the end of the phone if you need them speak English, great warranty and work really well

I’ve used a Klan waistcoat for 15 years and it has been brilliant, lack of a controller was it’s only ‘issue’ so it was hot all of the time , still working well now. Bought a Keis jacket in 2019 and again that has been excellent, usually on the lowest setting of three, never needed to use the highest setting and yes it does warm you up if needed rather than just keeping the cold at bay. Can’t recommend a particular brand as both have done the job. The waistcoat packs away fairly small so easy to have with me on any long trip where I might need a bit of heat, September in the Alps for example. The Keis jacket I use in place of the standard jacket liner from October to April. Heated gear has to be one of the best purchases for winter riding you can make.

no brainer Keis, uk company, uk distribution, the people on the end of the phone if you need them speak English, great warranty and work really well
They speak English in Guildford too

I’ve used a Klan waistcoat for 15 years and it has been brilliant, lack of a controller was it’s only ‘issue’ so it was hot all of the time , still working well now. Bought a Keis jacket in 2019 and again that has been excellent, usually on the lowest setting of three, never needed to use the highest setting and yes it does warm you up if needed rather than just keeping the cold at bay. Can’t recommend a particular brand as both have done the job. The waistcoat packs away fairly small so easy to have with me on any long trip where I might need a bit of heat, September in the Alps for example. The Keis jacket I use in place of the standard jacket liner from October to April. Heated gear has to be one of the best purchases for winter riding you can make.
I think Toddmeister summed it up, and I agree with you. Heated gear is a great investment

We have Keis jacket & waistcoat for, im guessing 12 years, it might be more. One failed controller, everything else still tip top, nothing bad to say about it. Many years ago I had a pair of Gerbing gloves, which I didn’t rate.

Back
Top Bottom