Head bearings...

Wrigsby1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Quick question... Do S10s come originally with taper rollers... Just doing mine on a 50k bike and have found taper rollers which means they might have been done before... As usual its the lower shell that has any wear and there was only a slight centre notch but enough to be annoying...

Quick answer - YES:thumb

The OEM bearings from Yamaha have seals built into them - I believe the aftermarket kits have the seals as a separate part?

Yamaha OEM part numbers are:-

93332-00078 Top Bearing
93332-00081 Bottom Bearing

Cheers..........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Quick answer - YES:thumb

The OEM bearings from Yamaha have seals built into them - I believe the aftermarket kits have the seals as a separate part?

Yamaha OEM part numbers are:-

93332-00078 Top Bearing
93332-00081 Bottom Bearing

Cheers..........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Thanks for that... They seem to be Koyo which match up with what I'm removing and that would make it likely that someone's had them apart to re-grease... I would be slightly surprised at this being the 3rd set in 50k miles...

I'm still on original bearings - not even re-greased so far - planned for this winter:rolleyes:
Bike on 40K now, I was going to re-grease last winter but put it off!! Bearings are aparently poorly greased at factory so perhaps I should have done it earlier?
More info on here perhaps?...... https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php

Cheers.....................Grizzly:beerjug:

The bearings have inbuilt seals like you said so the are orig... Someone has regreased and the notch is very minor but for some reason is really noticeable for me at sub 25 ish when it wanders... Doubt it would have mattered to a few folk and mot-able but I must be feeling fussy... Good time to change the fork oil anyway...😁😁

I've read posts on the Super Tenere Forum suggesting that the lower inner race is VERY tight fit on shaft - and some,when removed, found to have a hairline crack which caused the "notch"? - but the forum has a heavy American influence :rolleyes:

Cheers..................Grizzly:beerjug:

Even better... The bottom set had been replaced... Still good bearings in NTN Japan which are the set going back in... The last ones I did on an ST11 the bottom race levered up after heat and a couple of flat screwdrivers...
This one didn't and required some careful dremelling and a punch to crack it... All fine though so new ones ready for in ... No rush as I seem to be using my old 1150RT more at the mo which may or may not be a good thing...😁🤣
I was trying the S10 to stop me turning into a lifer RT rider but I need to persevere... 😁 The S10 is a good bike tho...

Ps the bottom set were the culprits which they usually are... Notch wear and a bit of minor corrosion...

Back
Top Bottom