Electrical problem

david tewson

Reaction score
Hope someone can help , my GS1200 a 2015 model has developed an electrical fault that the garage cannot find , The bike is over charging , when doing this the speedometer doesn't work neither does the cruise control and the front headlamp flashes off and on . warning lights come on and lamp f warning light , its had a new alternator the engine was removed to test the stator no fault found , It started doing this now and again but now all the time , hope someone can help , Thanks

Hope someone can help , my GS1200 a 2015 model has developed an electrical fault that the garage cannot find , The bike is over charging , when doing this the speedometer doesn't work neither does the cruise control and the front headlamp flashes off and on . warning lights come on and lamp f warning light , its had a new alternator the engine was removed to test the stator no fault found , It started doing this now and again but now all the time , hope someone can help , Thanks

If under warranty, it's the dealers responsibility.

If the dealer cannot fix, look at formally rejecting the bike

stay calm. & dont post on social media ;)

I would have thought that any motorcycle repair garage would have checked the regulator rectifier, but you don't mention it. Did you take it to BMW dealer?

Don't think there's much else it can be.

How do you know it’s overcharging?

Do you power wash it ? do the basics check connectors for corrosion .
Check that earth is fine , try another battery , as the previous post said rectifier / regulator.
Check for chaffing of wires , especially around head stock area where there is movement or where close to sharp bits of the frame.
Engine out for an alternator? how times have changed from my old r100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First things first, start at the beginning, do some easy electrical tests, careful methodical diagnostics is the way to go rather than blind assumptions or random guesses....
Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and with the engine running what voltage are you seeing at idle and at ~4000rpm?

OP says it's overcharging. to come to that conclusion the methodical stuff has been done. The regulator is what prevents overcharging. The rectifier is what changes the AC from the alternator to DC for the bike, if it's faulty this will be why the electrical things are playing up. there's noting else it can be really.

OP says it's overcharging. to come to that conclusion the methodical stuff has been done.
Exactly, but has it been done properly?
The OP says the garage took the engine out to `test the stator`!
That`a a hugely extensive - and expensive - undertaking on a 1200LC, and totally unecessary to test the condition of the stator, all the tests required to do so can be done with the engine in the frame and with the engine running - continuity between the 3 phases, continuity to earth and AC output. If those were checked properly beforehand there would have been no need to remove the engine. They later found there was no fault with the stator after removing it from the engine!
The garage don`t seem to know what they`re doing so we don`t know for certain that is is overcharging or if there is a more sinister fault lurking within the electrical systems...
But yeah i agree - overcharging is most likely a reg/rec fault or associated wiring.

Exactly, but has it been done properly?
The OP says the garage took the engine out to `test the stator`!
That`a a hugely extensive - and expensive - undertaking on a 1200LC, and totally unecessary to test the condition of the stator, all the tests required to do so can be done with the engine in the frame and with the engine running - continuity between the 3 phases, continuity to earth and AC output. If those were checked properly beforehand there would have been no need to remove the engine. They later found there was no fault with the stator after removing it from the engine!
The garage don`t seem to know what they`re doing so we don`t know for certain that is is overcharging or if there is a more sinister fault lurking within the electrical systems...
But yeah i agree - overcharging is most likely a reg/rec fault or associated wiring.

I agree fully, that's why I asked if it was taken to a BMW dealer, it was my polite way of asking "did 'the garage' know what they were doing"

Have i spotted a Shindengen Mosfet FH020AA regulator/rectifier somewhere on the bike? These were an upgrade on the Triumph Sprints which 'cooked' themselves and standard fit on the FJR.

Interesting document. Very thorough.

Everyone is trying hard to help OP but he simply doesn't care about his own post. And he has only one post in his profile. May be a scam.
It is not worth replying unless he comes back here and starts interacting.

Back
Top Bottom