To start or not to start.... that is the question

Deleted account 230524001

Reaction score
My bike is going into hibernation for at least 10 weeks due to my forthcoming hip surgery and resulting recovery, a pal says "don't start it up whilst its in hibernation as it can cause condensation to develop within the engine internals", I would have thought that to start her up once in a while wouldn't do any harm

Opinions please . The bike is an R1250 GS :thumby:

Don't do it.
Starting and running for a period without actually riding and getting to full operating temperature will just lead to condensation build up inside the engine and exhaust....it'll do no good at all.
I read somewhere that it takes about five to ten miles before all the condensation has evaporated off everything.

Don't do it.
Starting and running for a period without actually riding and getting to full operating temperature will just lead to condensation build up inside the engine and exhaust....it'll do no good at all.
I read somewhere that it takes about five to ten miles before all the condensation has evaporated off everything.

So, would that be the same advice if you were to allow the bike to reach 'operating temperature' ?

I start mine up mate, always have and has never done any harm. Truth is it also makes me feel better being in the garage listening to the engine, pottering around etc.

Add fuel stabilizer into tank then take it a good 10-15 miles run to get it hot n burn off all condensation and for it to get thru the system then home n remove battery n leave it till you're ready to use it again..

Indeed. I've always done it once every 4 - 6 weeks when I don't ride for long periods. Hasn't seemed to cause any noticeable issues but if there is there some factual/mechanical evidence to say it's bad I may reconsider :nenau

Add fuel stabilizer into tank then take it a good 10-15 miles run to get it hot n burn off all condensation and for it to get thru the system then home n remove battery n leave it till you're ready to use it again..

for 10 weeks? Fuel won't go off in that time. My car is used so little nowadays it can take me 3 months to use a tank of fuel and it does not go off. Most AGM batteries will not die after 10 weeks as long as there is not a parasitic load. If there is such a load then it is probably an alarm or tracker so you want it to be active for insurance purposes. If that is the case, fit a charger one day a week.

My advice to the Op. Just park the bike. Add a charger if needed but otherwise let it sit idle. It is not going to disintegrate in 10 weeks.

for 10 weeks? Fuel won't go off in that time. My car is used so little nowadays it can take me 3 months to use a tank of fuel and it does not go off. Most AGM batteries will not die after 10 weeks as long as there is not a parasitic load. If there is such a load then it is probably an alarm or tracker so you want it to be active for insurance purposes. If that is the case, fit a charger one day a week.

My advice to the Op. Just park the bike. Add a charger if needed but otherwise let it sit idle. It is not going to disintegrate in 10 weeks.

This is a 1250 we are talking about.... it will have dissolved in that time!

Jeeezus....I have never done anything to my bikes over winter, no optimate, nothing, never once had an issue starting them again come Spring.

My son has gone off on world travels twice for over two years each time. Parked his bikes in my garage under a cover, battery removed. Fuel tanks about half full. Untouched until he comes home and it’s battery back on (regularly charged by moi) and press the starter and boom, straight back into life more or less on the button. The rest of the tank of fuel is absolutely fine.

Just park it dry and clean and it’ll be fine.

Don’t do it
One of My 1150’s has been parked up since 1/10
It won’t be started until 1/4/2022 at the earliest

Simple!!

Go Get fuel stabiliser and add to tank and fill it up as far as possible and go for a wee toot home so that it gets mixed into the system

Wait till the motor / gearbox etc is cold and give it a bloody good wash

Disconnect the negative terminal and stick it in a bit of hose or tape it up

Air up the tyres to 55 psi and stick a small length of wood under bash plate and final drive to just clear the tyres off the deck

Cover with a blanket and DON:T GO NEAR IT UNTIL YOU INTEND TO USE IT!

Modern Fuel injected engines inject extra fuel when the Motor is cold thats why there is a Fast idle lever on 1150s Basically it opens the butterflies a little to let in more "air" so the engine can burn the extra fuel without bogging and stalling

So if you run it and it does not get up to temp you will likely not burn excess fuel vapors from your crankcases Which will end up where??

Will not warm up the oil and casings enough to burn off the condensation from the previous 4 times you started it in the garage

AND quite possibly the plugs will be sooted up

I had one bloke that used 3 sets of Iridium Plugs in his K1100 Until he finally listened to me to STOP Running it in the garage for 5 mins at a time

OH and if you do the air up the tyres thing (It helps to reatin the shape especially when lifted off the ground and in fact they are shipped from the factory like that)??? Stick a note on your keys to let the Feckrs down to working pressure before riding

Don’t do it
One of My 1150’s has been parked up since 1/10
It won’t be started until 1/4/2022 at the earliest

If you had a ktm with twin Akras and had a soul, you be starting it up that's for sure .... but understandable with bmw :D

Just park it and when you are good to go start it and go for a spin, simples. Too much bollocks talked about this kind of thing.

My bike is going into hibernation for at least 10 weeks due to my forthcoming hip surgery and resulting recovery, a pal says "don't start it up whilst its in hibernation as it can cause condensation to develop within the engine internals", I would have thought that to start her up once in a while wouldn't do any harm

Opinions please . The bike is an R1250 GS :thumby:

Follow the instructions in the Manual - simples. It's in the 'Care' section 'Laying up the motorcycle' - page 231 in my manual.

Back
Top Bottom