M8 owners please read.

Gents,

The saga of Flipfly’s gearbox issue is resolved. HD are well aware of the issue and have a (unbelievable) “fix”. More of that shortly.

Firstly, this is in no way aimed at Phil. I bought the bike expecting and prepared for the worst. I am more than happy with our deal. Fortunately, fixing this will cost me a wee bit less than some folks, so it’s all good here. Ok? :thumb2

We were going to just “flip” the bike, but I’ve become quite attached to it, so I shall be keeping it for a while to play with.

When we drained the oils, there was clear evidence of carry over from the gearbox to the primary. Witnessed by the volume in the primary being proportionately more than the norm, by the same amount the gearbox was short. The physical fix involves a full strip down and a “bung”.

Unfortunately the low level of oil at sometime in its life has lunched the components that sit high in the gearbox. We will be renewing every bearing alongside any damaged components.

None of this seems to be a concern to Harley. Their “fix”? Owners are advised to check the levels every day!! They also advise that, if an owner is incapable or unwilling to do so, any dealer will do this for free!! I shit you not.

Not all will do this, I suppose that’s why Harley don’t want to go to the expense of offering the real (expensive) fix to everyone. So folks, keep a real close eye on your levels, and if you spot the problem, hot foot to your dealer and make a fuss……Cheers, Doris

Interestingly it had never dropped in my ownership up to that point, so I can only guess it must have been in the hot temperatures of Spain and the long days riding. My brothers bike transferred from the get go, but his was a 2017 and hadn’t had the primary vent fitted.
I’m surprised as the oil was fine when I checked it in Spain prior to riding back.

Glad you are happy with the deal, that was the whole point tbh, and I hope that you make those spondulicks rather than those money grabbing cnuts at HD :thumb

I’m guessing that’s why when the bike was delivered, the dealers at Robinhood HD had put a low oil level in, in case it was still transferring from one side to the other. I spotted it straight away and filled to the correct level, it didn’t move from that day on, evidenced by the primary oil being exactly where it should have been. When we serviced m6 brothers bike it pissed out of the primary on removing the cover.

I have to say I am extremely surprised, I know about the oil transfer issue and have been mindful of keeping a check on it when servicing. I guess the conditions we had, with the weather and loading the bikes with luggage, could have caused it to change?

Suffice to say, stay the feck away from the twats at Robbinghood!

Good luck with the bike, I’m sure it’ll be right in your hands :thumb

Seems only to happen on hydraulic clutch models - i.e Touring rather than Softails with the M8 engine.

Interestingly it had never dropped in my ownership up to that point, so I can only guess it must have been in the hot temperatures of Spain and the long days riding. My brothers bike transferred from the get go, but his was a 2017 and hadn’t had the primary vent fitted.
I’m surprised as the oil was fine when I checked it in Spain prior to riding back.

Glad you are happy with the deal, that was the whole point tbh, and I hope that you make those spondulicks rather than those money grabbing cnuts at HD :thumb

I’m guessing that’s why when the bike was delivered, the dealers at Robinhood HD had put a low oil level in, in case it was still transferring from one side to the other. I spotted it straight away and filled to the correct level, it didn’t move from that day on, evidenced by the primary oil being exactly where it should have been. When we serviced m6 brothers bike it pissed out of the primary on removing the cover.

I have to say I am extremely surprised, I know about the oil transfer issue and have been mindful of keeping a check on it when servicing. I guess the conditions we had, with the weather and loading the bikes with luggage, could have caused it to change?

Suffice to say, stay the feck away from the twats at Robbinghood!

Good luck with the bike, I’m sure it’ll be right in your hands :thumb

Phil, as I said. It was a pleasure meeting you and I’m happy with the bike….it will be a properly sorted bike next time you see it…

Seems only to happen on hydraulic clutch models - i.e Touring rather than Softails with the M8 engine.

Possibly another reason why 2021 + tourers have gone back to a manual clutch?:nenau

Gents, this is my first venture into M8’s ..so forgive me..I’m feeling my way…I’m normally an old-fashioned kinda guy…. fortunately, I have some decent connections . I’ll let you know how things progress…

Cheers, I've sent you a text.:thumb

Apparently the 2020 oil pump fixes the issue of sumping, but the engine builder seem to delve in to it deeper by changing the inner oil scrapers (or something along those lines). The oil jets that squirt the underside of the piston have also been the cause of sumping. When they fail the pressure valve releases early causing them to squirt too much oil and the pump doesn’t have the capacity to scavenge the oil quick enough. This means too much oil in the crankcase and the resulting sumping issue. That’s my understanding of it, but it mainly comes from the likes of Kevin Baxter who’s job is to charge thousands of dollars to rebuild peoples engines, so it may be bullshit to drum up business.

Phil, as I said. It was a pleasure meeting you and I’m happy with the bike….it will be a properly sorted bike next time you see it…

Good man, hope you are pondering all this whilst drinking a cup of tea in that Harley mug (or has the handle fallen off already :D).

Ps we want pictures!

However… when you get up to respectable amounts of power, the clutch must, by necessity, become very “heavy”. Not many folks could ride The Thug without complaining about how heavy the (cable) clutch was. Hydraulics is one solution…

Horses for courses then I suppose

Thanks Doris, forewarned is forearmed as they say!

I must admit I haven’t really checked the levels that much since I bought mine, but I will be from now on.

It’s also comforting to know that there is a really simple way of spotting things are awry before anything goes wrong, after all it’s a 2 minute job to check the gearbox oil on these bikes so even a muppet like me can manage it!

Cheers for sharing the info and hope you enjoy riding the bike - I’m just waiting for you to tell me it’s not as good as a standard Road King :D

Me neither apart from the engine oil level. Unless garage did it when it was serviced.
I will check now though.
Thanks Doris for the heads up.

Mine has a upgraded oil pump. Will that make a difference.
I'm no mechanic so i have no idea tbh.

Me neither apart from the engine oil level. Unless garage did it when it was serviced.
I will check now though.
Thanks Doris for the heads up.

Mine has a upgraded oil pump. Will that make a difference.
I'm no mechanic so i have no idea tbh.

The oil pump might deal with potential sumping, it’ll do feck all for oil transferring between the transmission and primary.

I see in 2021MY they moved the RKS back to Cable Clutch….has to be related.. ( In my simple view of the world)

I'm ready for it.:D
What gearbox oil do the collective use.

Back
Top Bottom