M8 owners please read.

TBH I have been wondering if it came into the hands of the Honda dealer through a HD dealer who had spotted the problem and bailed out ?

Ionly say that as i suspect it is unusual for a HD owner to PX for a Honda

Obvs i could be wrong but a HD in a Honda dealers is a bit out of place in my mind as none franchise often use franchised as underwriters for value and pass it on to them

Did Si, p-ex his Police RK for his Goldwing? :D I’ve also bought a Harley off our local Kawasaki dealer…..

I only say that as i suspect it is unusual for a HD owner to PX for a Honda

Obvs i could be wrong but a HD in a Honda dealers is a bit out of place in my mind as none franchise often use franchised as underwriters for value and pass it on to them

I agree, seems odd; maybe it was traded in through their car operations.

I think this is Big Si's bike ......... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154694181445?hash=item24047de245:g:BvIAAOSw2I5hdXdk CH are still showing a youngish black EG too.

Did Si, p-ex his Police RK for his Goldwing? :D I’ve also bought a Harley off our local Kawasaki dealer…..

Like I said I could be wrong

When I chopped I my BMW s1000XR for my first Ducati I know that the Ducati dealers used AJ in shipley to value and underwrite the BMW and the day I did the swap over it went into AJs stock from Ducati Leeds as a trade sale as they didnt want to retail it out even tho it was a retail bike.

I was suspecting that HD dealers would be the same or indeed Honda

And having said all that I could assume that bikes at the end of PcP etc are sold off at Trade only Auctions so a Honda dealer may have picked it up like that or just possibly someone realised that there was something amiss in the gearbox department chopped it in at a slightly less model knowledgeable dealer ??

Who knows

Im sure it will be fine

Surely the lack of oil in Big Si's bike points to neglect rather than someone trying to 'pass it off'; if it was the latter then filling it with correct grade oil would have been the first thing a dodgy dealer/punter would do :nenau

The dwarves are causing all the trouble…….. little fuckers

I don't think I got a dwarf with mine - have I been scammed and should I complain? :nenau

I'd better check the special small sump tomorrow just in case there's one hiding in there! ;)

Rolling in the aisles here.......................................................................................................................................................................................................:rolleyes:

Do all M8 gear boxes come with dwarfs?

I never put a gremlin bell on mine so never shook the little fecker off, hence the damage.

Too many on here poo poo the gremlin bell, but a gremlin is just an ugly angry dwarf and they’re everywhere. Don’t worry about primary vents, hang this fecker from the bottom of your bikes :D

Attachments

• 96B5AB59-4E81-4490-96C6-F19025117328.jpeg
    96B5AB59-4E81-4490-96C6-F19025117328.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 110
Well, lots been going on and lots more information. So please bear with me. Firstly Phil’s bike DID have the vent fitted. He was not mistaken at all. The reason, my guy said it wasn’t fitted was simple really. It wasn’t actually fitted when he handled the cases. He didn’t look closely enough to see that the hole was there. “His” guy had been instructed to thoroughly clean everything for inspection and did a fabulous job. Including removing the rubber (silicone?) hose before it all went in the hot wash.

The downside of this thorough cleaning, is one avenue of failure can’t be verified.

Because the oil carry over was still clearly happening, despite the modification I wondered if the vent was blocked, it’s in a vulnerable space, by road debris, or possibly kinked. Unfortunately, it’s been blown through, so there is no evidence either way. As a precaution, when we put it back together, we will extend the tube somewhere out of the way and fit a filter.

Luckily I have a good few contacts who modify, mend and generally play with Harleys. Amongst them is a guy, who specifically plays with M8s who bent my ear for over an hour on the subject and I feel I’m getting a handle on it. He tells me that, whilst the vent is a solution, it’s not THE solution for all affected bikes.

He also suggest that I go for the “fat” pushrod modification….and….. still keep an eye on the levels. He reckons his, highly modified, bike still moves about 100ml over 2000 miles. Now, there is also a twist to the pushrod saga. Some (earlier bikes) have very slightly different size rod holes through the shaft. The modified shaft is now available in two diameters, so take care.

The other issue appears to be a problem with third (and occasionally sixth) gear. Possibly over-hardened and therefore brittle. This becomes a problem with tuned bikes, when third gear does a lot of work. To completely eliminate this issue, the only solution is to move away from the Harley parts and use a Baker set. These are straight cut and therefore stronger. Harley don’t use straight cut because they are intrinsically noisier and that’s an issue these days.

Now…..about oil pumps …… and top-end rattles…..

Ps….. I’m thinking a gremlin bell may be a good back up…

Thanks for the info Doris.
I presume dealers can do the fat pushrod upgrade and no about it ?
I have a Gremlin Bell so I'm sorted.
Ps.
I didn't buy it. Was a gift

Back
Top Bottom