NEC motorcycle live

I've got two tickets for sale in the 'For sale' section if anyone interested £25.

Good to catch up with friends at the show, although it was not the wet ride down they promised so I didn't put my handlebar muffs on (mild temperatures when wet). Instead it was -3c when I left and I wished I had put the muffs on by the time I was half way there! Bike parking was very quiet, only about 30 bikes lined up when I arrived, a bit late, at 09.00.
Press office was disappointing, instead of the breakfast roll promised there was a plastic cup, tin of coffee and a boiler. No donoughts, no biscuits, no promised breakfast... I shall be complaining. :rob :D We did have the free champers (cheap shit) and bacon rolls on the stand though at 11.00 for the trophy presentations. I managed to snaffle a full bottle after 3 fill ups. It was the last one in the case and it was enjoyed quietly.

The show itself was quite busy and it was noticeable how many youngsters were there looking at the many different makes and models. 8 or 10 years ago it was all old men and no youngsters, this year it was a generous mix across the generations. I actually asked a few because we were interested for the magazine and the same response came back from these young folks:
some were brought up in a biking household, both grandparents and parents.
some were priced out of the car market by the insurance implications and a bike was a cheap alternative (which is how they were for me when I started).
they are seen as being cool transport again.
Plenty of positives, whether there were plenty of covid positives remains to be seen. I didn't wear a mask all day, the take up of facial coverings was about 50/50 from visual estimation, not a strategic count.

Electric bikes are everywhere. nattered to the old chap who has just completed circumnavigating the coastline of Britain on a Zero. He had to take his charging leads and transformers with him as only certain charge points have the right kind of plug. 10 hours charging gave him about 120 miles.... it took him a while to get round Scotland! Plenty of city commuting types though, with ranges of around the 35 - 70 miles mark and cassette batteries with hub motors. Something tells me that petrol is going to be needed for touring for a some time to come.

BMW were there, with a huge stand.
Norton were there.... with the V4 bikes (Aprilia engines?)
I saw the Langham and resisted buying one of the remaining 50 out of 100 they are building, 2 stroke motor from Italy, beautiful frame built in the Pennines. Choice of spoked or cast wheels... it would have to be the spokes for me, but at £40,000 it would mean selling the 80GS!
Crighton engineering have just finished their first bike too - 692cc producing 220hp in a bike that weighs just over 120kgs. The CR700W, twin plugged, twin cylinder, water cooled. The engine only weighs 22kgs making it a very power dense unit. I suggested to the chap on the stand it would make a great water pump engine if derated for continuous running (think of it as a Coventry Climax FW engine replacment). Salvage pumps that portable would be a great piece of kit.

What else - oh yes DOT motorcycles are back, another hand crafted frame using the new Kawasaki 650 twin motor in two main styles: cafe racer and street scrambler.

Very wet and windy ride home. Enjoyable day out, glad I didn't have to pay £25 to get in though. :eek:

Are they allowing visitors to sit on the show bikes to try them for size and comfort or is it barred due to covid contamination risk ?

New BMW launched

4d16c048797e6d7591e13669ad43ed1c.jpg

We went on Saturday.

Show was a bit meh. Very little of interest. Had a good day/evening out with friends though.

Seemed not at all busy for a Saturday.

You could sit on the bikes as normal.

Hardly anyone wore a mask.

Got 2 free tickets and a few days off so me and a mate are venturing down tomorrow

We went on Saturday.

Show was a bit meh. Very little of interest. Had a good day/evening out with friends though.

Thankfully people being normal

We went on Saturday.

Agreed. Those bothered by showing a COVID pass to gain entry worry not, get a screen shot of any QR code and wave your phone about as you breeze by the security staff, we didn't but we could have.

Back
Top Bottom