Trading up...or not!

Johnnydrama

Reaction score
Has anyone any experience of trading from a 2012 TC triple black to a new v85tt or f850gs?

Id like to come up the years, cant afford a 1250 but worried these might leave me as either sorry i did it, or constantly waiting for problems!

Appreciate your thoughts
Wes

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have no experience of any of the three machines that you mention although I think that I need a Guzzi V85TT.
However, back in 2009 I traded from an R1150GS Adventure to an F800GS.
The result? Definitely an upgrade for what I wanted to do with it and no regrets ever.
The 800 went on to be the bike that I’d kept the longest and did the most miles on.

Really depends on what you want out of a change? Smaller lighter bike? Newer bike? I know you said you'd like to come up the years, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll meet your needs just because it's newer.

Really depends on what you want out of a change? Smaller lighter bike? Newer bike? I know you said you'd like to come up the years, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll meet your needs just because it's newer.
Size isnt really an issue but fuel will be soon id say 60euro a fill on this now but mpg not too bad.

Id like a few upgrades such as better headlights, the comfort of a warranty etc...on the gsa a clutch is a 1400 euro job, esa rebuild or replace etc can all be time consuming and costly.

And that in itself begs the question are either of those bikes better than the gsa with me keeping a few bob in bank for repairs or upgrades.

I went from a 2011 GSA to a V85 in 2019.

I kept the GSA for over a year but sold it as I’d only done about 500miles on it. A new shiny thing to play with mainly as I still liked it. But It was a high mileage bike with 86,000 on it and starting to look a bit scruffy. Bills were looming. I sold it to Bobster who did all the restoration it needed - clutch, gearbox, just about everything powder coated or painted, screen polished, seats refurbed, etc etc.

So, yes a brand new bike with warranty is an attractive thing but here are fine thoughts /pros /cons of each bike:

These are things the GSA has the V85 doesn’t: ample power for almost every occasion solo or with pillion, great road presence and a general feeling of awesomeness. Huuuge fuel range. A truly vast range of farkles and add ones to customise the bike to your liking. A bmw dealer in every decent sized town. Handling that flatters you and seems to flatten the road as you ride it (could be the Wilbers I had).

This is what the V85 has the gsa doesn’t: it’s NOT a BMW. You’ll be be lucky to see another on the road. I feel as cool as on mine and proud to say what bike I’m on. Buy new and get two years warranty which can be extended. It’s noticeably lighter in every respect but especially for manual manoeuvres. The seat is comfier and roomier for two - seriously it is. Much better general build quality - better paint and better fitting panels for sure. Better display/clocks and electronics than the hexhead bmws. Cruise control is great together with riding modes, switchable abs and a couple of other configurable items. The headlight is ok but waaay better than the absolute shite on the gsa. Switching the bike always makes me smile - the eagle riding light comes on in stages and the display swirls into life. Finally The tail lights are just the best.

Downsides of the v85: it is “only” 80bhp and 80 torques in one measure I’ve seen. Fine for about 80% of the time but if you want a quick overtake in a small gap at higher speeds forget it. It took me a while to get used to the drop in power but now I don’t really miss it as it makes for a calmer more relaxed ride rather than looking for the smallest overtaking opportunity. But It’ll cruise all day above the speed limits and still give high 50s or 60+mpg.

The standard screen is noisy and some say causes a lot of buffeting - I just find it noisy. The screen doesn’t offer anywhere near the coverage of the gsa.

The suspension is too soft, certainly for two-up - stands, pegs and boots on the ground far too easily on bumpy corners. It’s a quiet bike in terms of exhaust and engine so lacks some emotional pull - easy if expensive to fix with loads of exhaust options available now. When I got mine either PDI or factory build could have been better with some loose fastenings. There’s a few known issues and recalls. Parts though take forever to come from Italy if they will ever come (I’m still waiting on some).

I really enjoy mine: just owning it and looking at it gives me pleasure, every time I get off it I say to the wife that was fantastic I love that bike. I have slowed down though and ride at a far more leisurely pace - which was partly why I got it - although it’s not a slow bike by any means.

I’ve spent a fortune on options and upgrades:
Full Mistral Exhaust system
Wilbers rear shock +30mm ride height
Full Guzzi hard luggage
MG Heated grips
Riding lamps
Crashbars
High seat
Plus more. It’s all quite expensive being mainly Italian stuff and fairly limited choices.

Finally finally there’s not many mg dealers about. Mine is a 180 mile round trip.

Please ask questions.

I wouldn't go from a GS to a F anything...

The 2020 model, guzzi is a great bike, bit smaller than a GS - vs the earlier ones u get tubeless rims and a better injection set up with slightly more mid range. (of course vs everything else on your list its got a shaft,,, otherwise the triumph worth checking out).

The F has got to be trading down... no way its up - whichever way you want to spin it
The guzzi is getting cruise, a smaller, comfier bike, but with less go
The Yam XT1200 is a GS with added RR refinement

I went from a 2011 GSA to a V85 in 2019.

I kept the GSA for over a year but sold it as I’d only done about 500miles on it. A new shiny thing to play with mainly as I still liked it. But It was a high mileage bike with 86,000 on it and starting to look a bit scruffy. Bills were looming. I sold it to Bobster who did all the restoration it needed - clutch, gearbox, just about everything powder coated or painted, screen polished, seats refurbed, etc etc.

So, yes a brand new bike with warranty is an attractive thing but here are fine thoughts /pros /cons of each bike:

These are things the GSA has the V85 doesn’t: ample power for almost every occasion solo or with pillion, great road presence and a general feeling of awesomeness. Huuuge fuel range. A truly vast range of farkles and add ones to customise the bike to your liking. A bmw dealer in every decent sized town. Handling that flatters you and seems to flatten the road as you ride it (could be the Wilbers I had).

This is what the V85 has the gsa doesn’t: it’s NOT a BMW. You’ll be be lucky to see another on the road. I feel as cool as on mine and proud to say what bike I’m on. Buy new and get two years warranty which can be extended. It’s noticeably lighter in every respect but especially for manual manoeuvres. The seat is comfier and roomier for two - seriously it is. Much better general build quality - better paint and better fitting panels for sure. Better display/clocks and electronics than the hexhead bmws. Cruise control is great together with riding modes, switchable abs and a couple of other configurable items. The headlight is ok but waaay better than the absolute shite on the gsa. Switching the bike always makes me smile - the eagle riding light comes on in stages and the display swirls into life. Finally The tail lights are just the best.

Downsides of the v85: it is “only” 80bhp and 80 torques in one measure I’ve seen. Fine for about 80% of the time but if you want a quick overtake in a small gap at higher speeds forget it. It took me a while to get used to the drop in power but now I don’t really miss it as it makes for a calmer more relaxed ride rather than looking for the smallest overtaking opportunity. But It’ll cruise all day above the speed limits and still give high 50s or 60+mpg.

The standard screen is noisy and some say causes a lot of buffeting - I just find it noisy. The screen doesn’t offer anywhere near the coverage of the gsa.

The suspension is too soft, certainly for two-up - stands, pegs and boots on the ground far too easily on bumpy corners. It’s a quiet bike in terms of exhaust and engine so lacks some emotional pull - easy if expensive to fix with loads of exhaust options available now. When I got mine either PDI or factory build could have been better with some loose fastenings. There’s a few known issues and recalls. Parts though take forever to come from Italy if they will ever come (I’m still waiting on some).

I really enjoy mine: just owning it and looking at it gives me pleasure, every time I get off it I say to the wife that was fantastic I love that bike. I have slowed down though and ride at a far more leisurely pace - which was partly why I got it - although it’s not a slow bike by any means.

I’ve spent a fortune on options and upgrades:
Full Mistral Exhaust system
Wilbers rear shock +30mm ride height
Full Guzzi hard luggage
MG Heated grips
Riding lamps
Crashbars
High seat
Plus more. It’s all quite expensive being mainly Italian stuff and fairly limited choices.

Finally finally there’s not many mg dealers about. Mine is a 180 mile round trip.

Please ask questions.
Fantastic reply, thank you. I might send you a pm with a few questions in a day or so

I was tempted to trade up from my old 2009 GSA due to the classic gearbox/clutch rattle in neutral at 50k. I love this bike, I've had it from almost new and been on some superb trips on it both at home and overseas. Instead I decided to pull the gearbox and inspect it as I'm an engineer by trade and a tightwad when it comes to new vehicle purchases when my current vehicle is still a runner.

I found the spring damper casing on the gearbox input shaft has burst open. Other forum searches show this noise and component failure is common. The damper casing houses a stack of thick conical spring washers inside to absorb shocks on the input shaft coupling (instead of the open coil spring assembly on '04-'08 models) and the thin pressed steel casing peels open over time through repeated shock loading which releases the spring damping effect and leads to transmission knock and rattle in neutral when unloaded. I took some pics at work, I'll add a few when I edit this later, or start a new thread.

Having now stripped the input shaft at work I was tempted to machine up a new damper casing myself on the lathe and press/peen it together again, but instead I have a new uprated design shaft on order from BMW Germany for £435 (this was fitted to the '10 onwards bikes). I will replace all bearings and seals and maybe throw a new clutch friction plate in there at £135 (although the existing one was fitted by me at 18k and is still mint and at 6mm thick, the service limit is 4.4mm). I will also replace the enduro 1st gear needle roller bearing as the output gear has a tiny bit of wobble on its shaft. Hopefully the old bus will be back to good as new for another 50k miles at about £600 or less all-in once I have finished, ready for France 2020 if Covid allows.

....once I have finished, ready for France 2020 if Covid allows.

Exactly when did you start this job? Have you been stuck in the garage for nearly two years or more and lost all track of time? :D

:beerjug:

5d273c41678631.57afcadf6c46c.jpg

Cheers Richard, its obviously meant to read as 2022 but like a silly old fart I haven't got a clue what year it is. :D

Now thats a thread for a cold winters night!

Having just test ridden the v85tt ive narrowed it down to a 2020 f850gs non te or a 206 1200gsa.

Question now is...are either of them worth the upgrade from a 2012 twin cam triple black gsa?

Im on the fence.

Having just test ridden the v85tt ive narrowed it down to a 2020 f850gs non te or a 206 1200gsa.

Question now is...are either of them worth the upgrade from a 2012 twin cam triple black gsa?

Im on the fence.

Try not to get a splinter.

Im on the fence.

FWIW, I wouldn't go any newer than a T/C GSA.
I have a cracking 2007 (Non-Servo) GSA and I love it for its relative Simplicity, compared to the newer Models.
Your particular Bike is probably the only one I'd Swap mine for now.....

I agree with BillyBoxer. I rode Mark Hooton's water cooled 1200 when it was brand new during one of Sid(Crapaud)'s "Gentlemens Wee-kends" at his place in Devon and I recall thinking how "Japanese" it felt in comparison to my old Hexhead GSA.

I don't think I want to own a modern bike that is so far removed from the do-it-all simplicity and robustness of the original air cooled models with electronic rider modes etc, my own 2009 GSA is high tech enough and still has a character I enjoy.

I know nothing of the other bikes, but remember that the TC R1200GSA is the best bike on the planet closely followed by the TC R1200GS so changing to anything else is a downgrade.

Im on the fence.

Im on the fence.

Nope.

I'm in the fortunate position to be able to choose freely between F850 GSA and the 1250 GSA.

When riding solo I usually go for the 850, while bringing the Boss along makes the 1250 first choice.

But this is a bit like debating shoe-size...
I humbly suggest that the OP test rides all his options, and then goes for what he likes the best.
As for my self, the first time I did a test ride on the 850 GSA my initial thought was: Now, why on earth do I need a 1250?.......
Dealing with chain vs shaft drive? Shaft drive is fine, but so is chain. With the introduction of the O-ring chains, the debate became a none-issue.

Even if the 1250 is stronger and faster, I hardly ever run it flat out (it does 0 to jail in less than5 seconds). To me, the 850 is more fun on backroads and due to lower weight I generally find it easier to handle.

Back
Top Bottom