Winter storage.

Jondd21

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yes… I know I should ride it, but living where I am and the first 1.5 miles of ungritted country lane is challenging in the car, tells me it’s better in the shed.

So, it’s a 68 plate 1250 with 940 miles on it. The shed has a dehumidifier running, and the bike has an Optimate 4 plugged in.

Fuel ? Should I fill the tank or leave it as is…1/4 full atm.

Bike is on centre stand and I am rotating the front wheel weekly. I am considering supporting the bottom of forks to lift front wheel off ground. Would you ?

I start the bike weekly and run it for minimum 10 minutes until fully warmed up. Good idea ?

Anything else to consider ?

Thanks in advance . ��

The question that needs asking, is how on earth can a 68 plate bike only have 940 miles on the clock!!!

I certainly wouldn't be starting it and letting it idle for 10 mins once a week. Why? What are you trying to achieve in doing so? Sure way to wear things out!

That bike should be ridden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So don’t start it at all ?

History of it is …. Bought it last March during lockdown with 448 miles on it. Delivered to an independent BMW Service Centre, full service and a few bits added, collected in May, used it on 3 short rides due to family and work commitments.

Tried to sell it…no joy….so it’s away until next spring.

Should I start it at all Bob ?

I’d brim it with super unleaded for starters, and as mentioned, don’t bother running it up. Don’t worry too much about the front tyre, there’s not much weight on it when on the centre stand just ensure it’s inflated ok.

Yes… I know I should ride it, but living where I am and the first 1.5 miles of ungritted country lane is challenging in the car, tells me it’s better in the shed.

So, it’s a 68 plate 1250 with 940 miles on it. The shed has a dehumidifier running, and the bike has an Optimate 4 plugged in.

Bike is on centre stand and I am rotating the front wheel weekly. I am considering supporting the bottom of forks to lift front wheel off ground. Would you ?

I start the bike weekly and run it for minimum 10 minutes until fully warmed up. Good idea ?

Thanks in advance . ��

Read the section in the manual called Care and the bit about 'laying up the motorcycle'

If the guy doesn't want to ride through winter then he doesn't have to. It's his bike, his choice.All he needs to do is stick it on an optimate and leave it until he wants to ride it again. Some people have little time to ride their bikes, and grab some 2 wheeled action whenever their busy lifestyles allow.Others have other toys to play with so the bike is one of other sources of fun, so the mileages are low.
Some on here seem to think you have to do massive mileages, ride in shyte weather etc in order to be considered as a proper biker.

If the guy doesn't want to ride through winter then he doesn't have to. It's his bike, his choice.All he needs to do is stick it on an optimate and leave it until he wants to ride it again. Some people have little time to ride their bikes, and grab some 2 wheeled action whenever their busy lifestyles allow.Others have other toys to play with so the bike is one of other sources of fun, so the mileages are low.
Some on here seem to think you have to do massive mileages, ride in shyte weather etc in order to be considered as a proper biker.

+1

However if the OP would like some "gentle winter miles" to be added to their steed and to ensure it's properly warmed through with a nice thick coat of protective salt I'd be happy to offer my services FoC as it'll save me adding hundreds of miles to my own slightly higher mileage steed over the winter. Fair deal ? :beerjug:

Johndd21... sounds like you are doing the right thing. Just leave it. It's on a main stand with an Optimiser and a dehumidifier. That is bang on. Don't go starting it every week as you will then get condensation building up .. water and oil mixing is never good. I am lucky enough to have a "proper" garage and I am doing the same as you. Just "put it away" so my GS wont be out till March. :thumb2

Thank you for the positive, supportive and piss taking comments ����.

I am just grateful to myself that I didn’t mention that I live 1 mile from the BMW off road school training grounds . ����

And the kettle is always on should anyone passing fancy a cuppa. BUT BE VERY CAREFUL ON THE LANE ��

Thanks for the brew offer. :D

Even if you intend to not use the bike until every road everywhere has no salt on it, even on dry sunny days, you're only looking at not using it for a few months...so do nothing special other than keeping the battery on an Optimate or similar.
Definitely do not start it for a few minutes ( why do so many people think this is a good idea?).
Rotating the wheels isn't a bad idea, but won't really be necessary for such a relatively short period.
A full tank is better than a mostly empty one from the point of view of water creation from ethanol fuel, but I wouldn't worry for that period, really, especially if you're storing in a warm dehumidified environment.

On my older "classic" summer only bikes, I drain their tanks and swill some over-oiled premix about, and swirl a spray of GT-85 inside them,then drain the carbs, so an oily residue coats the float needles and I don't get stuck floats and over flowing when the bike's get re-used ...and leave the filler caps and drain screws open.
You only forget to close the drain screws once. :D
I disconnect the batteries and over-inflate the tyres, rotating every month.
Some of them may be idle for most of the year though.

Rather than rotating wheels just bump tyre pressures up to 45 or so psi

Thanks in advance . ��
Possibly read the thread only eight or so lines below this one where the subject has been thrashed out ad nauseam?
Alan R

Possibly read the thread only eight or so lines below this one where the subject has been thrashed out ad nauseam?
Alan R

:D
I must admit that your comment is close to what I felt like writing initially, along with asking why people are asking such questions on a forum where I thought there would be long term experienced and knowledgeable bike riders.
However, it seems not to be the case, so I elected to try to post some hopefully useful advice based on my own experiences over the years.

I might have suggested some form of fixed advice thread on the subject, but I'm not sure how many would look and read before asking?

Mine's just left it the stables on it's side stand, on a trickle charger and cover.

Whenever the weather is half-decent, I'll be out on it.

Back
Top Bottom