Himalayan

That just isn't true of an engine with 2 to 3K miles on it. Yes you need to give some overtakes more thought, look and think ahead, anticipate then make your move which, i find fun and satisfying tbh.
Other overtakes are easy. If that isn't for you then neither is the Himalayan, each to their own. I find the bike effortlessly cracks along at legal limits in most conditions but get a strong headwind plus uphill plus all your camping kit aboard and yes it's time to change down and put up with it until you are able to pick up speed again and crack on which usually doesn't take long. In the grand scheme of things the times when that happens are pretty limited. As to the weight thing (Posh Pete), it may be 190 or so Kg. but you don't notice it as the bike is so well balanced and along with the 800mm seat hight, at least for me being a shortie of 5'7" makes the bike easy to get on with and handle.

For the first time ever, i have sorned the GS as the Himalayan is all the bike i need on a day to day, certainly in the winter, basis.
I like a bit more power for a nice clean overtake so i've got a T7:D

When getting mine I did not expect it to be as much fun as it is and the back lanes of Lincolnshire show it's qualities as described above. Enoy !

Picked my bike up yesterday,weather was awful tipping it down, I had two bikes to pick up so took the car and bike trailer so haven’t ridden it yet.

Attachments

• 634819E5-B7AB-4140-B4AE-6D3BF6A047F8.jpg
    634819E5-B7AB-4140-B4AE-6D3BF6A047F8.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 404
  • 2FD1B252-5EC7-4574-992C-311D64F7D770.jpg
    2FD1B252-5EC7-4574-992C-311D64F7D770.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 403
Let the fun begin :thumb2

Servicing mine today; i do it at 4000 mile intervals; No oil used since the last one and is running sweet.

Another Tosser of this parish i know of has just put a deposit on one so, the movement grows :D

I fitted the pannier rails the day after I picked it up, I’ve just finished fitting the Oxford heated grips,
phone mount and 1990s rear Oxford tail bag, it’s served me well for around 30 years. I’ve also got soft panniers to mount on the rails. I may invest in the Enfield alloy boxes in the future.

First ride out today for eighteen months, health issues plus Covid,great to be back on two wheels.

Attachments

• 20891F1A-91D9-4F24-BB61-D989B03BBFB0.jpg
    20891F1A-91D9-4F24-BB61-D989B03BBFB0.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 143ACD4C-D999-4443-A685-A6ADE7BEF11F.jpg
    143ACD4C-D999-4443-A685-A6ADE7BEF11F.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 291
I’ve only had it a day and it’s already filthy :D

Seat is too soft. OK for an hour then I can feel the frame rails!,

Suspension is a little harsh over rutted roads, hopefully the cheap shocks will loosen up

Runs out of puff on steep hills but honestly, around the back lanes of Kent or the urban mayhem that is London it has enough power to move you at a reasonable pace.

It’s fun, engaging to ride, cheap to buy, run and farkle, and more importantly makes me smile. Which as most people who know me doesn’t happen often :D

Attachments

• DA88D8A5-7DBA-4E7B-9386-401335C6E023.jpg
    DA88D8A5-7DBA-4E7B-9386-401335C6E023.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 262
Hey, get you Steve, posting in the Himmy forum, didn't think i'd see that day tbh. :D

As i told you, give the engine time to really loosen up and you will notice the difference. The seat, i use a nice bit of vetbed on it and it's really good.
You must have something around your garage like that as i remember you having a sheep skin on your GS dont i?
Tbh. i find the suspension on and off road quite decent, not KTM like i guess but, serviceable.

The smile. That was me on my first test ride, did about 15 mile, was plodding back to the shop in the traffic and was smiling ear to ear.
I still smile when out on mine as it's such a delight (i think anyhow) and i find myself loving the big (ish) long stroke engine and what it
brings to the party. Just serviced mine, engine oil, filter, tappets air cleaner blow out and it took no time at all and cheap as chips.
The tappets question comes up quite a lot because they are supposed to be done at each 3k. I did mine at 300 miles and took my time
doing them to get them right then at 4k and i see in my notes there was no change, just done again at 7k inlet fine, exhaust a
little wide, i could have left it but decided to tickle it up a bit. I see allsorts of claims on the Himmy forums about how they always tighten,
that is not my experience.

Come this Sunday i'll be riding some green lanes with some other Himmy riders one of whom is a well known Tosser of hereabouts
and i'm really looking forward to getting down and dirty with the Himmy and, i'll be smiling all the way :thumb2

Enjoy Steve :thumb2 :beerjug:

I test rode one yesterday ... the low power, I was expecting and it was OKish and for the use I intended would probably be ok.... however the braking is almost none existant was very wooden and a lot of pressure for little retardation. Instruments seemed to mist up heavily which on a brand new bike was a bit of a surprise. All in all it's made me rethink my strategy and will look for a low mileage Funduro or KLR etc when I'm ready to get something. I appreciate it's a low price point but not for me.

Getting back on my F800GS felt like getting onto the equivalant of a Rolls Royce afterwards :D

With the misting of the clocks, they all do that Sir. I found that fitting EBC pads improved braking significantly, better feedback through the levers and seems more progressive.

With the misting of the clocks, they all do that Sir. I found that fitting EBC pads improved braking significantly, better feedback through the levers and seems more progressive.

The clocks on mine mist up now and again but it's no problem to me. I have fitted EBC HH pads and yes, they have improved the braking effort a fair bit, to the point that i'm now happy (ish) with the brake.

I now need to get some new handle bars as i have bent them in an off on a deeply rutted muddy lane. It may have been i bent them by using the rh bar to lift the bike up. They are made of toffee anyway tbh. :D

Tony, I've got an oem bar you can have if you don't want to fork out on a stronger set

Back
Top Bottom