1290 GT from R1250GS

RSiconic

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone on here gone from a BMW 1250 RS or GS over to a KTM 1290 GT or even gone from a KTM to a BMW.

Interested in why and what you found the KTM like to live with and use.

I have an itch that won't go away and am slowly coming to terms with the Depreciation being larger on the KTM but the grin factor may be high enough to offset this.

Opinions please......

The GT is not a big seller for ktm so what ever you do, do not pay list for the ktm, they have form for shafting you by massively reducing prices.

I did buy a GT and it was a great bike, but once shafted I said I’ll never buy orange again, my XR is just as good if not better in someways.

I went from 1200GS TO GT, but was seduced in the first instance by the big price reduction, did an Pyrenees trip on it with a group of guys on the usual mix of bikes, mainly GS and and XR and the engine was great, could literally be ridden on the twisty’s just using the throttle/gears, such is the engine breaking, but was not so impressed on bumpy roads with the suspension, definitely has not got the GS ‘magic carpet’ ride. Moved on to an XR and now back on a GS.

Anyone on here gone from a BMW 1250 RS or GS over to a KTM 1290 GT or even gone from a KTM to a BMW.

Interested in why and what you found the KTM like to live with and use.

I have an itch that won't go away and am slowly coming to terms with the Depreciation being larger on the KTM but the grin factor may be high enough to offset this.

Opinions please......

I bought one new when they had a very good offer on a few years ago. It was a fantastic and very capable bike but lacked the usual KTM naughtiness and fun so I didn't keep it long.

Difficult to put my finger on why I didn't feel the urge to go out and ride it but that's how it was.

I went from a 1200lc gs to an sdgt and I love it. I wanted a sports tourer and had already ruled out the rs and the z1000sx after test rides, so arranged a 3 hour test ride on the sdgt, courtesy of Fowlers, Bristol. I bought a pre-reg, 0 miler from Moto Corsa in Gillingham. I have changed the screen for a Puig; less noise, less buffeting. I've got the factory panniers and top box for touring and the ergo (heated) seat, otherwise it's standard.

The power is intoxicating, with every ride so much more fun than the gs. I never go off road. Yes, the chain needs lubing and the back wheel needs more cleaning but that's a small price to pay. No regrets at all for me except I wish I'd done it sooner.

I bought an 1190 in May June 2016, sold it in October 2019 - I got it with £3k off list and it stood me in @£11500 with extras (Heated Frips / Comfort Seats) and I sold it for £7300 - Losing £4200 in 40 months...

...A mate lost almost £7k in under 2 years on a 1200GS Rallye, I would of still lost less even if I paid full list for the 1190.

Got a deal on my current 1290 (about £3k off - £12,500 OTR with grips / crash bars) and it is now 3 years old and worth about £9k all day long, again had I paid full whack I would still be looking at a smaller loss over 3 years than my buddy had with his BMW in 2 years.

People have this perception of BMW's having great resale, well they do at dealer prices as a franchised used bike with 2 years warranty, try flogging one back to the dealer for cash or privately and reality will kick in PDQ....

...Still, worth getting a good deal on a KTM (or any bike for that matter, I have bough heavily discounted new Yamaha and Kawasaki in the past) to minimize you losses, or even a low mileage used bike if your not so sure your going to like it, but having said that not too many people go back to a BMW after a KTM.

Worth testing the latest Adventure as well, it has evolved a little for 2021 and is now suitable for folk under 6 foot ;-) The GT is a bit sporty for some, after years of adventure bikes I did not get on with it despite really fancying having one, and a mate recently had one for a bit and declared he preferred his 1190 adventure and flogged it after a few months.

Nearly - swapped my 1200GS for early 1290 GT. Now on 37k miles and I love it. It looks pretty ratty as I’ve commuted year round and lots of bits have rusted. Had a gearbox issue fixed under warranty and a recent stuck exhaust valve (£300). Apart from the gearbox no breakdowns but many, many orange warning lights, usually caused by low battery voltage. I think mines worth about 6k in the trade so I’m just going to keep running it till it dies as its an ideal commuter. I’m looking to add a 701 for the fun new bike feeling….

I kept my 1290 GT for 6 months - I just could not get on with it - never felt at ease on it and the suspension for me was dreadful - impossible to get a set up where it felt good it was either too stiff or too soft and harsh and wooden but in hindsight I think it wasn't working as it should. I had the ergo seat and it was in honesty the most uncomfortable bike ive ever had -

I have described it to folk as tottering round the house in a pair of ice skates but going back to the Multi was like putting on a favourite pair of trainers

I wont slag it off as the reality is it is a great bike - as fast as you could ever want but have a long test ride before you buy and remember what demo felt like in comparison to the one you get if you do !

It was me not the bike in reality

Back
Top Bottom