Can I have a great big slice of that humble pie please ?

Update to this post. :rob
Received my bike back from Cannon BMW today. And I am very happy. So thank you to all Cannons.

Work done :
New Drive shaft
New Drive unit
New Rubber gaiters front and rear.
Additionally a new rear Pilot road 5 Trail. and the new updated footrests.

So all done at Zero cost to me. Under good will. Think It helped i've been buying bikes from them since 2000, and god knows how many recommendations for new bikes from me.
Alls well, that ends well.:thumby:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-12-22 at 12.07.11.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-12-22 at 12.07.11.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 329
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-12-22 at 12.07.04.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-12-22 at 12.07.04.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 330
Told ya !! It is the only sensible option BMW have as hundreds of us would abandon them in an instant.

Update to this post. :rob
Received my bike back from Cannon BMW today. And I am very happy. So thank you to all Cannons.

Work done :
New Drive shaft
New Drive unit
New Rubber gaiters front and rear.
Additionally a new rear Pilot road 5 Trail. and the new updated footrests.

So all done at Zero cost to me. Under good will. Think It helped i've been buying bikes from them since 2000, and god knows how many recommendations for new bikes from me.
Alls well, that ends well.:thumby:

Do you think they greased it well before fitting?? :nenau:green gri:D

I reckon they have caked it in grease !:D

Good! I had an '08 GSA that used to suffer from this. The dealer actually warned me about it when i collected the bike (second hand). Some months later I checked the FD and lo and behold rusted and stuck! After freeing it and cleaning I caked it with this which I happened to have a surplus of in the workshop. It's cheap and works a treat, never suffered the problem again in the 4 years I had the bike.

Attachments

• CV grease.jpg
    CV grease.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 294
Good! I had an '08 GSA that used to suffer from this. The dealer actually warned me about it when i collected the bike (second hand). Some months later I checked the FD and lo and behold rusted and stuck! After freeing it and cleaning I caked it with this which I happened to have a surplus of in the workshop. It's cheap and works a treat, never suffered the problem again in the 4 years I had the bike.

I was meant to get a video of the work as it was done, I'm a bit gutted as it would have been interesting to see it, and the state it was in ?

I was meant to get a video of the work as it was done, I'm a bit gutted as it would have been interesting to see it, and the state it was in ?

you admit it happen, is better than video, and yes sticker on battery box have no value :beerjug:

I use a trolley jack on the rear brake disc once wheel removed - makes it easier to maneuver when putting back together

I do similar, although not on the disc. I find the rear drive unit too heavy for my weedy muscles, so offer it up using the jack. I also raise the shaft, with a piece of string , to help it allign. Its an enjoyable rewarding job if willing to give it a try.
p.s. that said I do not believe that it is necessary

I do similar, although not on the disc. I find the rear drive unit too heavy for my weedy muscles, so offer it up using the jack. I also raise the shaft, with a piece of string , to help it allign. Its an enjoyable rewarding job if willing to give it a try.
p.s. that said I do not believe that it is necessary

Its only necessary if you need to remove the final drive. BMW did state. My drive would have outlasted me if i hadn't asked for the shaft to be grease.:hide

Nice looking bike BTW :D are those seats from a 2014 ?? I bought the same on my 1250GSA

I disagree

I have had 10 1100/1150’s and done over 200-250k on them (some higher or lower mileages)

Never had any FD issues and don’t know many others who have

The big bearing isn’t expensive either and fairly simple to replace & repair…..unlike any FD on all the 1200’s/1250’s

Apologies for the thread hijack waterhead warriors.

Rose tinted memories JB? You however averaged around 20 to 25K on each of them, no wonder you didn't have issues.

My 2003 bike failed at 26,000 miles. I replaced the big bearing and seal myself and it lasted until ~60,000 miles when it was given another big bearing and seal. That one failed less than 5,000 miles later and I had Scriminger do a complete rebuild on the FD, everything needed. That was still going strong at over 96,000 miles when I sold the bike.

It was probably the most common serious issue with the 1150GS.

My 2003 bike failed at 26,000 miles. I replaced the big bearing and seal myself and it lasted until ~60,000 miles when it was given another big bearing and seal. That one failed less than 5,000 miles later and I had Scriminger do a complete rebuild on the FD, everything needed. That was still going strong at over 96,000 miles when I sold the bike.

It was probably the most common serious issue with the 1150GS.

I had exactly the same problem on my 2002 1150GS

Original failed at 36k, replaced by an independent and failed again at 44k. Same mechanic replaced the bearing again which lasted until 52k

Like you I then went to Steve Scriminger who explained that it was essential to re-shim the bearing when it was replaced (indy didn't do this)

Sold the bike at 63k but all was perfect at the back end

Mike

I had exactly the same problem on my 2002 1150GS

Original failed at 36k, replaced by an independent and failed again at 44k. Same mechanic replaced the bearing again which lasted until 52k

Like you I then went to Steve Scriminger who explained that it was essential to re-shim the bearing when it was replaced (indy didn't do this)

Sold the bike at 63k but all was perfect at the back end

Mike

must agree all bike have different luck, bearing made at industrial scale like other parts, you get lucky or not, and also depend how you ride and place you go, jump bike in air over mountain will kill bearing quick, and also many hole in road.

Back
Top Bottom