New to me T150v

This was my first T150 back in 78 :D

Trident-T150.jpg

Some nice bikes being shown here.
I’ve done a bit more fault finding on mine now.
I’ve resistance tested the kill switches and appears fine. I seem to have a significant volt drop getting to it. I have the Triumph green service manual, I shall use this to test components but the wiring is flaky. I do have a new loom so will fit that soon.
I am looking at Sparx electronic ignition as it appears to be financially advantageous but I would like to prove the points etc. work first.

OK, been a while but I thought I'd update this thread.
Bike was purchased from Newcastle Classics, absolute shyster!
Change the oil sort the electrics and you'll be fine he said.
After lots of advice I decided to pop the head off to see what's what.
Found the centre pot circlip had got loose and two gouges up the bore.
Took lots of effort to get the barrels off, I resorted to bolting a spanner to the head studs and using a ratchet strap to put pressure on whist administering heat and well placed taps on the fins!
At this stage I decided to go for a full strip.
I found the Mains were scored and the Big Ends needed polishing.
The internals were manky as hell with burnt on fuel/ oil etc.
The gear box looks to be fine but will bung in some new bearings.
The front sprocket was toast but no surprise given the grief to get to it!
A walk round the head found the valve springs were all under length due to it being sat and the valve guides were not brilliant either.
On some of the T150V heads the ports weren't fully opened out, this was one of them!

To date,
Its been re-bored, 20 though over.
Cranks been ground / polished as needed.
Plugs in cranks were removed / drilled out ( if you know you know!) lots of gunge in the oil ways!
A new electric foot has been ordered to as my knees are shot.
A new wiring loom has been installed.
I got a tank from India, paint job by Stevie Wonder, quality control by Ray Charles!
The Cylinder head and clutch are with Rob North for a little fettling, once returned the rebuild will begin.
I am rebuilding but not fully restoring but am struggling with a failed knee replacement but progress is low.

I know it’s a bit late, but the old dodge I was told for an immovable cylinder was old rags in the bore. You remove the base nuts and push rods and fill the bore(s) with rags. When you turn the engine over it should break the seal.

I’m going to try it on my 1970 TR6 when I get chance, I don’t think the engine has ever been apart so the barrel is well stuck.

Have you rebuilt one of these triples before? They can be very leaky from the top end and there are quite often several stripped threads for the rocker box bolts and pillar studs caused by previous 'rebuilders'. I use the green paper gaskets with either grease or vaseline for everything except cylinder head and rocker boxes where I use copper gaskets with Three Bond. I also use Three Bond to join the crankcase sections, I never use silicone anywhere. Do you still have the Breadbin tank? I've bought a new old stock one for a project but it seems a shame to repaint it.

This guy has some good rebuild videos :-

https://www.youtube.com/c/TriumphEnthusiast

You can fit a T160v tank to the T150v although you'll need to rethink the fuel tap as it catches the rocker cover but better range and looks great.

Back
Top Bottom