How routable is the Connected app?

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As someone who is fully conversant with Basecamp, how flexible are the routing options in the connected App. Can I dictate the route I want it to follow like I can with Garmin?

I plotted an A to E, via B, C and D route on my iPad, choosing roads I wanted to take from Calais to the Ardennes and back into France. It worked just like BaseCamp. I have every confidence I could plot a route from A to Z and back again.

I guess though many users will simply ask the app to take them from Calais to Spa, no motorways, twisties only 100%.

Is it like the ViaMichelin app where you first have to define a waypoint then add it to the route list? Or is there some sort of rubber banding facility?

No rubber banding, at least not on an iPad, nor as far as I can see on the phone.

I just plan my route on calimoto.com to go where I want and put any vias in as waypoints. Then export as a .gpx into the connected app. Works fine for me.

The only issue I’ve had is that the Connected app likes to order waypoints based on how close they are to the starting point. So if you want to go an unusual route that means that point C is closer to to point A than point B, it’ll become point B (because it’s closer). It’s not hard to reorder them after the fact though.

I just plan my route on calimoto.com to go where I want and put any vias in as waypoints. Then export as a .gpx into the connected app. Works fine for me.

That of course works, though as with BaseCamp / Garmin and say, MyRoute, I like to avoid mixing in a second piece of software if possible.

The only issue I’ve had is that the Connected app likes to order waypoints based on how close they are to the starting point. So if you want to go an unusual route that means that point C is closer to to point A than point B, it’ll become point B (because it’s closer). It’s not hard to reorder them after the fact though.

Thank you, good tip.

Back
Top Bottom