What would you do...

Nigel Thomas

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For some time I have been trying to find a nice 2013 hexhead. Eventually I found the one being sole by a dealer. It was a bit out of my price range but in the end I paid 8350 delivered.

The entire transaction took place on line and over the phone.

The bike was delivered on time and I took it for a test ride.

Within a few miles I noted the ESA was not working correctly. The dampening could not be set and I have a suspicion the preload, although showing on the dash, was not cycling on the shock(s). Additionally the service indicator had timed out was was showing August 2020

This bike came from a UK BMW dealership and was sold as a 'Premium Selection' meaning it would have an unbroken service record and a 2 year warrantee.

I am currently considering my option. As I understand it, as the purchase was made entirely at a distance, I have the option of returning the motorcycle and demanding a full refund.

Any comments gratefully received.

If you’re happy with the rest of the bike then contact the dealer and give them the chance to put things right.

If I bought something from a shop (which is all a BMW dealership is) and it didn’t work as it should, I would take it back (or at least call them, following it up in an email) to have them fix it. I would of course also involve my mum.

You can do the same from Brighton, though I am not sure that I can lend you my mum.

If I bought something from a shop (which is all a BMW dealership is) and it didn’t work as it should, I would take it back (or at least call them, following it up in an email) to have them fix it. I would of course also involve my mum.

You can do the same from Brighton, though I am not sure that I can lend you my mum.

He is welcome to borrow my mum .....

Thanks for the input

Bike is now with the local BMW dealership for assesment

We'll see what happens next

Firstly, I would ask the dealer to check that ALL the chassis - and engine - software is up to date. This can be a time consuming process, which the workshop might try and avoid. Mind you, an end-of-line bike should be up-to-date for software versions.

They can recalibrate the suspension so that extreme limits of travel (that would give rise to a fault if exceeded) are well outside the normal operating range of the ESA. If they don't know what they're doing, they can get help from BMW Technical, who can dial into the workshop machine and check that everything is working as it should.

Put everything in writing to the dealership, so that in the event of a further failure, you could justifiably claim for the shocks to be replaced.

It's a nice bike, but badly prepared for sale. Give it a chnace.

Firstly, I would ask the dealer to check that ALL the chassis - and engine - software is up to date. This can be a time consuming process, which the workshop might try and avoid. Mind you, an end-of-line bike should be up-to-date for software versions.

They can recalibrate the suspension so that extreme limits of travel (that would give rise to a fault if exceeded) are well outside the normal operating range of the ESA. If they don't know what they're doing, they can get help from BMW Technical, who can dial into the workshop machine and check that everything is working as it should.

Put everything in writing to the dealership, so that in the event of a further failure, you could justifiably claim for the shocks to be replaced.

It's a nice bike, but badly prepared for sale. Give it a chnace.

Thanks for that

UPDATE

The supplying dealer has contacted my local dealer (Chandlers Brighton) and filled them in with the details...

The bike doctor is going to check over the bike tomorrow.

In life, things go wrong, it's how they are handled which is important

UPDATE

The supplying dealer has contacted my local dealer (Chandlers Brighton) and filled them in with the details...

The bike doctor is going to check over the bike tomorrow.

In life, things go wrong, it's how they are handled which is important

Are you six?

...update

My local BMW dealer found loads of fault codes which have been cleared and the bike is no back to life

The supplying dealer has agreed to pay for an annual service - so should be good to collect tomorrow

It’s okay clearing the fault codes but have they fixed the causes of the fault codes?

Safe to assume they also tested the ESA operation is correct and remedied the service interval reminder issue ???

Safe to assume they also tested the ESA operation is correct and remedied the service interval reminder issue ???

Yes, the supplying dealer agreed to pay for an annual service which will reset the service reminder.

They are thinking it was a flat batter as the bike had been standing on the showroom floor for the best part of 6 months!

It was probably sitting for that long due to it being £8k+ and for that money get everything sorted by the new dealer and thoroughly checked over. After that they will drag their feet a bit more. Dealers fix things on the way out rather than when the bike comes in and the obviously didn't or wouldn't so get it all sorted while they are willing including a new battery as it probably bolloxed...

If one of the fault codes was due to the ESA going above its upper/lower limit point, will they recalibrate the ESA to ensure that it does not happen again? Ask for a note to be added to the invoice.

Back
Top Bottom