Connected app on my iPad II - ‘Off-road’ route creation.

I have used wiki before but what I normally do is transfer them to basecamp and then the garmin. So it's easier to see, wiki is not easy to read without keep stopping.

So no option to just view the track so you can follow it with no directions then? Looks like the off road bmw GS has sold its soul to the devil.

So no option to just view the track so you can follow it with no directions then? Looks like the off road bmw GS has sold its soul to the devil.

Sadly not, until the route is "loaded" and calculated you cannot switch into 3D view to track your progress along the route. I suspect it's all down to their choice of going with TomTom mapping instead of a-n-other brand.

EDIT - Maps.me is another one that "looks" good as it has multiple map layers it can use so offroad is defo an option, but I've yet to use it. Worth giving it a look.

For me the whole idea of the app and the cradle is I can use the wheel as I would with the nav5/6 this doesn't look to be the case now. The cradle does have a wireless charging facility which is nice, so it will charge my phone wirelessly when using my ICO app and will probably be fine for road mapping.

For me the whole idea of the app and the cradle is I can use the wheel as I would with the nav5/6 this doesn't look to be the case now. The cradle does have a wireless charging facility which is nice, so it will charge my phone wirelessly when using my ICO app and will probably be fine for road mapping.

Yeah I totally get that, it would be nice if the whizz wheel was able to control any app. As much as I will continue to perservere with the Connected app for some things, I can't see it ever being my go-to for touring. Waze is (in my opinion) unbeatable for beating traffic if all you want to do is get from A-B quickly and Calimoto has been very good so far for more "advanced" routing.

That said, for the advanced routing part, the Connected app would likely be equally as good as Calimoto for routing me on a specific track. My only caveat to that is, there are roads and addresses missing from the Connected (TomTom) maps that have been in existence for 10+ years which has caused me issues when trying to plot a route.

Thanks for giving it a go, peejay. It’s definitely an ‘on-road’ app, at least for now.

Is getting the connect app to do off-road routing just a software/map update/rewrite or will this be unachievable with Tomtom supplying the mapping?

Is getting the connect app to do off-road routing just a software/map update/rewrite or will this be unachievable with Tomtom supplying the mapping?

From a technical standpoint it wouldn’t be “hard” for them to add it, it would more or less be just update the maps and add it as a routing preference. That’s probably a bit oversimplified to be fair.

As to whether they will or not; I’m sceptical. Mainly because of the reliance on TomTom mapping. Even if TomTom announced they were adding it to their own Rider satnavs I’d be surprised if they let third parties use the improved maps; at least immediately anyway. The maps are definitely TomTom but they aren’t the very latest which suggests the Connected app gets either a reduced version due it to being a third party, or the latest updates trickle down over time.

Which really only leaves BMW switching to using another map service. I don’t think Garmin licence their maps out to third parties so perhaps this is why BMW didn’t choose them but it could be a lot of reasons.

That’s a very longwinded way of me saying, Yes it could be added in an update, but I suspect it won’t be anytime soon.

I guess the truth is the vast majority of all the bikes in the entire BMW range, will go no further off-road than a gravel lay-by or car park, so there’ll be no demand for it. On the same theme, the Connected app is centred around a smart phone and a maybe delicate TFT screen. I do wonder how many bods will risk their (possibly) expensive phone and (definitely) expensive TFT screens, when a very strong aftermarket GPS device can be had quite cheaply.

I guess the truth is the vast majority of all the bikes in the entire BMW range, will go no further off-road than a gravel lay-by or car park, so there’ll be no demand for it. On the same theme, the Connected app is centred around a smart phone and a maybe delicate TFT screen. I do wonder how many bods will risk their (possibly) expensive phone and (definitely) expensive TFT screens, when a very strong aftermarket GPS device can be had quite cheaply.

This is sad, this is a GS forum but like you say most never see the dirt, you only have to look at the entries in the GS trophy qualifier, 200 entries, one or two dealers alone sell that many GS's in a year, that alone the models from previous years.
The nav 6 is an unreliable unit period, I know I've had enough replacements. The 5 works well but the screen is dark and it's dated. I've been using my iPhone pro for a trip meter on events for the last year with no camera issues so I'm happy to use it in the cradle. Before anyone says get a xt I do like how the wheel works and not having to take your hands off the bars when off road is a bonus. I will still buy a cradle for road navigation to events then use the phone in the cradle for charging it and the ICO. For general off road riding I will find a secondhand nav 5.

BMW market the bikes with satnav prep but don't supply a nav that works, admittedly you can buy other cheaper GPS units but they don't utilise the wheel, sorry rant over.

Well I fitted the cradle (Pre TFT bike) and its ok. Haven't rode the bike with it yet but it fits well and seems more secure than the nav did, phone holds well also but doesn't fit with my quad lock case on (iPhone 11pro). Like those before me have said if you load an off-road track or route in, the algorithm routes everything via the road regardless of your avoidance and routing preferences. That is the only drawback I have found so far. So I will resort to pocket earth for off road use unless things change. The info screen doesn't show as much as the nav does but thats ok. I like how it charges the phone as soon as you put it in, not sure how it does music and navigating at the same time, can you skip tracks using the wheel like you could with the nav, will have to do some testing after the weekends festivities.

Back
Top Bottom