New knocking noise

I've got it booked in with MikeyBoy on Friday. I'll let him have listen. Will let you all know what it is or could be.

He had to change the shaft on my 36,000 mile 1150 bike when it was in for work. Daft not to if it’s worn and he’s in there anyway. :thumb2

Dropped off this morning. Not looking good I would say. Nothing conclusive yet until it's apart. Suspicion around input shaft, bearing and splines or similar. Bike obviously knew it was going to hospital because it started misfiring on the way there and fuel pump was squealing like a roof rack on a. Ar at speed. At least it's in good hands.

I'm actually wondering if the whining/squealing noise may have been the gearbox. Difficult to tell when your riding it with ear plugs in!

A friend of mine has a 2000 1150, got it with 30k on the clock. It always had a slight knocking noise as described in first thread. Now at 150k the noise is slightly more annoying and it can be felt very slightly in the bike. We decided to pull the gearbox and check it out. Clutch was at the end of its time so a clutch kit was ordered. While waiting for the clutch I carefully inspected the viable parts and found nothing. Input shaft was like it had just been fitted (new) and there was no reason to open the box as it felt perfect. Long story short, fitted new clutch kit assembled everything and noise and "knocking feel" gone.

Sent from my NEO-L29 using Tapatalk

Time will tell. I'll let Mike work his magic. It will be an interesting journey over the next few weeks. I am intrigued as to know what is causing it. Let the dissection commence.

Update

Bike has been with MikeyBoy for a month and has been fully refreshed.....

New Input shaft and sorted gearbox rebuild

New clutch whilst in there.

New slave cylinder slightly weeping.

2 X New Coils

Fuel Pump and Filter and unblock drain hole.

New Hall Sensor

Fully serviced.

All good for another 60,000 miles fingers crossed.

Im hoping to collect very soon.

I've been like a bear with a sore head without it!

I've only had the bike since Aug 21. Sometimes you discover why the previous owner sold it on! This is GS number 15, had 1150s, 1200 hex, 1200LC's but just love the 1150 and the way it delivers it's performance and feels so planted!

When I get it back I'll update again :thumb2

Mine is a good 95% better but I wish now in hindsight that I had replaced the green first gear needle roller bearing whilst I had it in bits, the bike still has a slight noise from the gearbox when hot but its nothing like the ear shattering clatter it had. It sounds like the large enduro ratio first gear pinion on the output shaft is rattling around slightly in neutral when its not selected/transmitting torque and freewheeling on its shaft.

The new replacement input shaft/friction plate sliding fit was no better than the fit of the old input shaft/friction plate so I don't think the clutch was the original source of any noise in neutral, just the gearbox.

Mine is a good 95% better but I wish now in hindsight that I had replaced the green first gear needle roller bearing whilst I had it in bits, the bike still has a slight noise from the gearbox when hot but its nothing like the ear shattering clatter it had. It sounds like the large enduro ratio first gear pinion on the output shaft is rattling around slightly in neutral when its not selected/transmitting torque and freewheeling on its shaft.

The new replacement input shaft/friction plate sliding fit was no better than the fit of the old input shaft/friction plate so I don't think the clutch was the original source of any noise in neutral, just the gearbox.

Until I speak with MikeyBoy directly I won't really know what the likely cause would be for wear on the input shaft. My bike is one owner, never carried a passenger in it life prior to me and has mainly toured around Europe. Of all the GS's previously I've never had this issue. In hoping it will be like a new bike again. MikeyBoy should be able to tell us more.....

Until I speak with MikeyBoy directly I won't really know what the likely cause would be for wear on the input shaft. My bike is one owner, never carried a passenger in it life prior to me and has mainly toured around Europe. Of all the GS's previously I've never had this issue. In hoping it will be like a new bike again. MikeyBoy should be able to tell us more.....

Thanks for updating us, glad to hear your bike is all sorted now. My 2005 (70K miles) 1150GSA has similar symptoms as explained in your original post, I am following this thread with interest.:thumb2

Thanks for updating us, glad to hear your bike is all sorted now. My 2005 (70K miles) 1150GSA has similar symptoms as explained in your original post, I am following this thread with interest.:thumb2

When I get it back I'll know more.

Collected bike today. Mikey oy and Charlie have done a cracking job sorting my bike out.

Smooth as silk, no knocking noises, like a sewing machine.

Goes really well.

Come one then Mikeyboy, what was it you did that stopped the knocking, was it the clutch?

Same knocking noise - what fixed yours?

Come one then Mikeyboy, what was it you did that stopped the knocking, was it the clutch?

Hi,

I would also love to know what fixed it! I have the same noise when the engine is hot and clutch lever pulled in. (I have my brother's old 2002 R1150 GSA with 90,000 km on it).

I installed a second hand gearbox as the old one had stripped splines on the input shaft. Put in a new clutch as well but the noise is still there. Also put in the LHS ugrade cam chain tensioner. The bike runs really well, but that noise sure sounds awful!

From looking at heaps of other posts it seems it is fairly common - one idea is that is the crankshaft thrust bearing can wear when overheated (which I think ocurred when the bike was ridden up north (of Western Australia) in summer). With the clutch engaged (lever out) when in neutral the clutch and tranmission stabilise the crankshaft but when disengaged (lever in) the crankshaft is free to move back and forth within its end play. That's the theory proposed by people who know more than me anyway!

However, if the OP's noise has gone, it would be so good to find out what fixed it!

Cheers

Chris

Hi,

I would also love to know what fixed it! I have the same noise when the engine is hot and clutch lever pulled in. (I have my brother's old 2002 R1150 GSA with 90,000 km on it).

I installed a second hand gearbox as the old one had stripped splines on the input shaft. Put in a new clutch as well but the noise is still there. Also put in the LHS ugrade cam chain tensioner. The bike runs really well, but that noise sure sounds awful!

From looking at heaps of other posts it seems it is fairly common - one idea is that is the crankshaft thrust bearing can wear when overheated (which I think ocurred when the bike was ridden up north (of Western Australia) in summer). With the clutch engaged (lever out) when in neutral the clutch and tranmission stabilise the crankshaft but when disengaged (lever in) the crankshaft is free to move back and forth within its end play. That's the theory proposed by people who know more than me anyway!

However, if the OP's noise has gone, it would be so good to find out what fixed it!

Cheers

Chris

I think with mine it was in need of a total refresh. The knocking noise has gone. The clutch was changed, along with slave cylinder, Hall sensor, Throttle body rebuild however I personally believe it was the bearings in the gearbox. The input shaft was changed but very little wear as a precaution however very little wear observed. The bike runs really well now and no unusual noises have been heard since. On fact it rises like new,!

Hi,

Cheers

Chris

Might be worth PM’ing Mikeyboy and asking:)

Thanks Orbit and Mad Hatter

Thanks for the replies. I am very new at this forum stuff! I have messaged MikeBoy and will also do the same to another senior member Steptoe. They may well be too busy to answer but if I find anything out I will post it on this thread. I put in a low km second had gearbox as the old box had stuffed input shaft splines. The second-hand box seemed pretty tight. I guess either way it's likely to be a bearing issue on the crankshaft or the gearbox.

I was living in the naive hope that there was some other ridiculously simple explanation with an equally ridiculously simple fix!! :)

This year has been the hottest summer on record in WA so it takes the bike no time at all to get to operating/knocking temperature!

Cheers

Chris

Back
Top Bottom