Google maps to Zumo XT?

Stupid question but do you have Garmin Drive open in the background on the phone? It shouldn't make any difference as it should be in the list but it might be worth trying.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Thank you.

I have tried having the Garmin Drive open in the background. I have also tried with it closed and then opening it. I have tried leaving it closed and not opening it.

In short, I have tried everything short of a tin opener and a hammer.

That method only works on Android not IOS. For some reason IOS doesn’t recognise the Drive app for GPX files and routes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are right, Berin. Whether it’s IOS not recognising the Drive app as something that will open the file from Google Map app or whether it’s a fault in the Google Map app, I’m not sure.

I suspect the latter as the hugely reliable Pocket Earth app won’t open them either. I have tried on my iPhone and on my iPad.

Either way it doesn’t matter, as it just doesn’t seem to work, which is dull.

From my post.
Hi Onahi, unfortunately this doesn't work, don't think it's related to iPhone, I've got a Samsung S20 Android phone.

It will share from Google Maps - My Maps direct to Garmin Drive but when you switch the XT on you get a message along the lines of Cannot Navigate This Route ... or similar.

I'm afraid you still have to go through the process of downloading the KML/KMZ file from My Maps and converting (to GPX) by bringing into Basecamp and then sending to the XT, or using another 3rd party converter and sending that file via Garmin Drive to the XT.

Was hoping for a breakthrough, but alas not yet

Hi Onahi, unfortunately this doesn't work, don't think it's related to iPhone, I've got a Samsung S20 Android phone.

It will share from Google Maps - My Maps direct to Garmin Drive but when you switch the XT on you get a message along the lines of Cannot Navigate This Route ... or similar.

I'm afraid you still have to go through the process of downloading the KML/KMZ file from My Maps and converting (to GPX) by bringing into Basecamp and then sending to the XT, or using another 3rd party converter and sending that file via Garmin Drive to the XT.

Was hoping for a breakthrough, but alas not yet

I can do this literally in seconds. Using google maps (Android) straight to the drive app. Instantly ready for Navigating. Not sure what "My maps" are, I dont use that. Just share route on the three dots in the corner. Sounds to me like you're complicating it ?

I can do this literally in seconds. Using google maps (Android) straight to the drive app. Instantly ready for Navigating. Not sure what "My maps" are, I dont use that. Just share route on the three dots in the corner. Sounds to me like you're complicating it ?
Will give that a go

OK tried that directly in Google Maps as you suggest, plotted a test route from Fort William to Ullapool. Shared with Garmin Drive, route uploaded to my XT ....... but it was taking me from home to Inverness

Thought I'd made a mistake so tried 2 more test routes, same again, no resemblance to the route I had in Google Maps...... can't think of an explanation why

PS My Maps is a route you planned and saved in Google Maps and is downloadable as a KML/KMZ file.... Best on a laptop/Mac/PC but on your phone you can see them as they sync with your Google account.

On my Samsung, open Google maps, at the bottom tap Saved, this will show your lists, scroll down and see Maps on the right hand side, tap this and you will see your saved map routes.

"My Maps – About – Google Maps" https://www.google.co.uk/maps/about/mymaps/

This was also happening to a guy trying it.
Go into saved trips on the garmin and check you are seeing this (Image attached)
Its shows the whole route, including any waypoints.

Attachments

• 269731075_10159555846469038_3497832208226269238_n.jpg
    269731075_10159555846469038_3497832208226269238_n.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 154
Yes, I am seeing the same, unfortunately it's not the route I planned in Google Maps, it's a random route.

Can you try a test route from say Droitwich to Bristol using Google Maps ..... and check if it comes in accurately on your XT?

Ill do it as soon as home.

I just did another quick test.... my location to Brechin, so about 30 miles, shared to Garmin Drive and XT, the route I got on the XT was my location to Peterhead, so 60 miles and wrong direction

Can you guys tell me please, are you creating the routes in basic Goggle Maps (ie not in Google My Map) on:

A. On a PC

B. On a Mac

C. On an iPhone

D. On an Android phone

Are you running the Garmin Drive app on:

1. An iPhone

2. An Android phone

Thank you.

Richard

Google maps (Standard app) on Galaxy Note 9.
BMW drive app too

Can you guys tell me please, are you creating the routes in basic Goggle Maps (ie not in Google My Map) on:

A. On a PC

B. On a Mac

C. On an iPhone

D. On an Android phone

Are you running the Garmin Drive app on:

1. An iPhone

2. An Android phone

Thank you.

Richard

Google maps (Standard app) on Galaxy Note 9.
BMW drive app too

OK, thank you.

Bog standard Google map, all the process start to end on an Android phone.

That’s D and 2

OK, bog standard Google map, all the process start to end on an Android phone.

Yes ! :thumb

Reading all the posts on the facebook group (Zumo XT) its seems that IOS wont allow the share LOL

It certainly looks that way, unless someone has found a way to make it work straight off the bat (ie with no workaround, like summoning up BaseCamp).

For the first time ever I have by only using my Samsung S20+ created a full route using Google My Maps, saved it as a KML file and by using an APP called Tracklia which I downloaded (free), converted to a GPX with that and saved it, then opened the GPX with Garmin Drive and sent to the XT. Sounds a flaff but wasn't really.

Couple of observations:

1. It's not as easy doing Google My Maps routes on the phone as it is on the laptop etc, layouts are different and took more time finding where the layers were etc.

2. For some reason the KML file saved with a double extension so like - name.kml.xml so renamed it dropping out the .xml part. On the PC it does just save as a .kml

3. It comes into the XT as a track but you can save it as a trip from the XT and shape the route etc.

I think it would all work fine with some practice, good thing is no need for PC/Mac or Basecamp.... so if you were touring you can do it all on the phone which has gotta be a plus.

6371c676a1b03f2830065e549042c81d.jpg
f2a369f4da237736c060da3babbe64d9.jpg
24bcc012010c20a8e6174eae25eef1f6.jpg

I, as an iPhone / iPad user, fall down at the bit where there is an option to save / export the Google My Map (or even a basic generic Google map) route. In short, the option to ‘Save export type’ does not seem to exist on an Apple phone or iPad device. Unless of course I am:

A. Blind

B. Stupid

C. Both of the above

Which is indeed quite possible.

I can though do it from my Mac, which is of course an Apple product. Why it works on one Apple product but not the other two, I am at a loss to understand.

Hopefully someone will come along with an Apple IOS device and tell me (hopefully with pictures) how to do it, as the internet is turning up nothing.

I, as an iPhone / iPad user, fall down at the bit where there is an option to save / export the Google My Map (or even a basic generic Google map) route. In short, the option to ‘Save export type’ does not seem to exist on an Apple phone or iPad device. Unless of course I am:

A. Blind

B. Stupid

C. Both of the above

Which is indeed quite possible.

I can though do it from my Mac, which is of course an Apple product. Why it works on one Apple product but not the other two, I am at a loss to understand.

Hopefully someone will come along with an Apple IOS device and tell me (hopefully with pictures) how to do it, as the internet is turning up nothing.
I'll give the same thing a go on my ipad tomorrow Wapping see if it works

Thank you.

There are a few posts on this forum where bods appear to say that they have achieved it on an iPhone / iPad. However, none it seems have come up with any kind of answer as to how.

Back
Top Bottom