Help me identify this A10

DING-DONG

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My Dad passing has left me with 3 bikes, one is a 500 venom in mint condition and number two is this A10.

Both have never run properly for a long time tho I have started the venom roughly 2 years ago, my father bought the venom 2008, the elderly fella whom rebuilt the bike only ever started the bike once, old age and brittle bones meant it was was too much for him so my dad bought it and it has sat in the garage.

a7bf804ef9966500355281981ea59c10.jpg

This A10 my dad must have owned some 30 years and never touched it, the BSA A10 was declared manufactured 1961 and Registered 1985 so it may have been used in another country, the engine number DA10R but I’m unsure of the model, i thought it may be super rocket, but several things say it’s not, maybe a Golden flash as it looks very similar.

3240deea2fee5a012b6757fe94fe15de.jpg

Whilst i love the venom it doesn’t have a lot of sentimental value because my dad bought it restored and never used it, the A10 has such a lovely patina to it and it tells a story and I remember dad riding it, wax jacket and piss pot, every time time I look at it now I’m brought to tears.

When I moved Into our new house in March this year I built a big double garage and my intention was to get the bikes here and me and my dad were going to get them running, he was the brains and I the spanner monkey, however this year wasn’t so good for my dad and he passed away last month, My intention now is too get them running and road worthy because come summer I want to use em especially the A10 however I would prefer someone whom has cut there teeth on British bikes, because tbh I’m ok with jap stuff but I’ve not got the foggiest with Brit stuff.

So 2 questions.

1-Is the A10 a Golden flash ?

2-Im Derby based so can you recommend someone close to Derby - Notts - leic - staffs whom is trustworthy and knows what’s there doing so I can get them running so I can use them, the A10 I want to leave in the condition it is in because the patina is lovely.

Thanks
Dave

It looks like a late Golden Flash.

However, the engine number suggests it's either a Road Rocket or Super Rocket, but then it should have chrome mudguards.

You have probably seen wiki ......... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSA_A10_series. Maybe the Owners Club can help tie it down from factory records.

Road rocket was only manufactured to 57 and golden flash "80% of production was destined for the United States" so makes sense with this bike being registered in 85 tho it does state on the log book manufactured 61

Without being able to look in my books at the moment, that looks like pre 1961 with it being mag/dynamo and those deep balanced mudguards.
Looks lovely. :thumb

As far as I know the Golden Flash had a cast iron head right through its production life up to 1963. Your bike seems to have an alloy head (can’t be 100% sure from the photo). It may be a Super Rocket engine in a GF chassis - I don’t suppose you know if it’s matching numbers if it was first registered in the UK in the eighties.

I'm away at the moment, but if you PM me the engine and frame numbers, preferably actually from the 'bike and not V5 or other documents, I'll check them with my old Glass's Guide books when I get home next week :thumb2

Sorry to hear about your dad passing, but those bikes are a testimony to him and his love off motorcycles :thumb

:beerjug:

As above I think the Gold flash had a cast iron head, the 2 that I had certainly did so my guess would be it's a super rocket but Mickey will now doubt provide you with a definitive answer once he has the frame and engine nunbers.

Sorry to hear about your dad Dave.

It’s lovely that you have his bike and I’m sure you’ll treasure it.

Having found the old receipt dated nearly 30 years ago, he paid £1600 for it from a private seller and the receipt states super rocket, but the S/Rocket looks totally different, over the festive season i need to get them all out so i will get the details for you Micky.

It does seem to be a complete Golden Flash package - heavy valanced mudguards, integral headlamp nacelle etc.. The only outward sign that it may be a Super Rocket engine is the alloy head but it may just be an upgrade on the original GF motor. Micky will sort it out!

The clutch adjustment plug suggests no earlier than ‘61, but I may be wrong. Chrome guards were an extra, painted red guards were standard. An “HHC” stamping on the engine would be further evidence of Rocket ancestry. Looks to be a nice bike, good luck with it, and I’m sorry for your loss.

Sorry about your Dad but, now you have those lovely bikes to cherish, use and hopefully, enjoy.

I just love that Venom. My brother bought one new in 1965 and i rode it a fair bit and when he over revved it and bent the Exhaust valve i had the pleasure of repairing it.

I have owned a few BSA twins and loved them all, great engines if, as always, they were looked after. The bike you have is likely to have been put together using parts from different bikes as was common in those days but, perhaps not, i'm no expert on all the differences in the models.

If i was close, in common, with others reading this i would wager, i would have loved to help you out getting them running which, i guess would be easy enough.

Good luck getting them sorted.

Having found the old receipt dated nearly 30 years ago, he paid £1600 for it from a private seller and the receipt states super rocket, but the S/Rocket looks totally different, over the festive season i need to get them all out so i will get the details for you Micky.

I guess it'll be nice to get a definitive answer but the main thing is it was your dad's bike, which along with all the memories you have associated with it is priceless really. Hope you get it going and get great pleasure out of riding it. It might be worth joining/ contacting the BSA OC as they will know who to use/who to avoid to recommission it, they might even help themselves. Good luck, it's a lovely bike, I have fond memories of both mine.

Lovely bikes and as Micky says, a testament to your dad. Every ride on either will bring back memories. :thumb2

By chance I have owned both a Velocette Venom and an A10 Gold Flash..both seen below

2013-01-08-11.58.08.jpg

2013-03-03-10.55.31.jpg

I found the Venom to be difficult bike to live with, despite having an Alton Electric starter fitted - it was a sod to start, but pleasant to ride albeit small

The A10 was an altogether different bike, much easier to live with and a joy to ride, as long as you weren't in a rush ;)

I'm not able to offer much if anything by way of further identification of your bikes

Commiserations on the loss of your dad and good luck with the refurb of the bike. I've subscribed to the thread and will look forward to the updates.

Thanks for the added info and kind words, the stories from members past are brilliant, memories are priceless.

@Olde coney your A10 looks lovely. .

I’m more intrigued now so tomorrow I’m going to remove everything in the garage to get the bikes out and take them to mine.

Back
Top Bottom