Which gps

Swell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just picked up my new 1250 GSA and I’m thinking of buying a gps to go with it. Is the bmw navigator the only unit that will fit in the provided carrier/preparation?

Navigator V or VI are the only units that sit in directly , but you can purchase cradles so as to use your smartphone and power it at the same time. However …..
Should you wish to use the ‘wonderwheel’;
The Wunderlinq system allows you to use your phone and any apps that you wish to use. I believe that some have also used larger iPad devices .
This month , BMW released their Connected Ride cradle allowing you to use your phone , but only with their BMW Connected app.
( do a search on here because lots of current chat about the BMW cradle; pros and cons .)

If you are not fussed about the ‘wonderwheel’ , there are web sources for alternative cradles , which may hold phones or alternative satnavs and provide power at the same time.

Thanks for all the information, I looked at the connected thing and although it’s a good option, I think it has its weaknesses: 1st, I can’t find one available before April 22 2nd, I’m trying to get away from using my phone as a Nav aid as now we’re out of the EU, we’re subject to roaming charges and I know from experience that the constant use of maps while abroad eats data quickly. I’ll keep my eye out for a Nav 6.

There’s a NavV on here for sale at the moment and it’s less reflective than a Nav VI

I use Copilot on my android phone. Maps are downloaded onto the phone so roaming charges only if you want live traffic information. I also use the same phone on the classic Triumphs and in the 2 cars.

Thanks for all the information, I looked at the connected thing and although it’s a good option, I think it has its weaknesses: 1st, I can’t find one available before April 22 2nd, I’m trying to get away from using my phone as a Nav aid as now we’re out of the EU, we’re subject to roaming charges and I know from experience that the constant use of maps while abroad eats data quickly. I’ll keep my eye out for a Nav 6.

there are plenty of contracts available which include EU roaming. I recently changed my phone and took out a SIM only deal advertised on https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/cheap-sim-only-contracts/ - provided by Lebara which is a global virtual network piggy backing onto Vodafone in the UK & Spain, and various other networks across Europe.

I don't tend to use my phone for navigation on the bike but it is very handy on foot, especially when in a big city, using google maps, Tripadvisor etc to find places of interest.

Personally, I have not bothered with a BMW Nav on my bikes which both came with the prep. I already owned a Zumo 390 and I use this on both bikes. If the 390 expires (it is 5 years old) then I will get a Zumo XT which has had a comprehensive review on this site recently. They are in Halfords for under £350 at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom