Connected app and Nav comparison

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have my new connect cradle fitted with the app on my iPhone all connected (non tft). Haven't had chance to get out on the bike yet but I'm trying to compare the app/cradle option with the nav5/6 option.

Comparing the information I have so far I would say these are the pro and cons of the units, feel free to copy and add;

Nav6

Pros
Big bright screen
Lots of bike info
Choice of screens
Large compass screen
Sd card for additional music
Off road routing
Garmin Foursquare for some people
Garmin safety cameras

Cons
Expensive
Dubious bluetooth connection reliability
Reliability issues (Ghosting)

Cradle and Phone

Pros
Cheaper than a Nav6
Most already have a smartphone
Only need one unit on you dash for those who mount their phones on their bikes
Wireless phone charging
Choice of mapping apps
Less bluetooth connections required
More reliable bluetooth connection

Cons
Less bike info
No Compass on connect app?
Screen brightness?
Possible camera damage, yet to be proven.
No off road routing with connect app

Only cheaper if you already have a compatible phone.

Pro’s for both:

Will be controllable from and by the whirly wheel (if fitted).

If the unit is damaged or stolen , the financial loss will be greater with loss of the smart phone .

Pro’s for both:

In 6 years of having the selection wheel able to control the Nav. I can count on one hand the times I actually did use it. With TFT, its irrelevant.
Connected cradle if you don't have a nav. But The Nav will always be the better option. Although not Nav6, The XT.

In the six or more years of owning a bike with the whirly wheel, I have used it a lot.

for the nav ?

Yup, for the nav.

I haven’t had the (small screen) TFT bike very long, though it is running the BMW Conncted app and the Navigator GPS device, the phone shoved into my tank bag. I can use the wheel to control the TFT and the Navigator, flicking between the two at will.

Yup, for the nav.

I haven’t had the (small screen) TFT bike very long, though it is running the BMW Conncted app and the Navigator GPS device, the phone shoved into my tank bag. I can use the wheel to control the TFT and the Navigator, flicking between the two at will.

Oh, you edited your post, sorry, didn't see it.

OK, ill repeat my point for you.
The TFT makes the NAV redundant, But for the Navigation. As I said above.
I am fully aware, and did very rarely switch between the two. I did ask you, Why would you use the selection wheel to switch between the two ?

Wapping.

I post in this thread - "TFT makes Navigator redundant, but for Navigation. And that i very rarely used the selection wheel because of that"

You post - "You use it a lot"

So, I ask, "what do you use the selection wheel for" ?

Cheers .

I don't have tft so I use it for zooming in and out on satnav, selecting screens, saving waypoints, skipping music etc

I don't have tft so I use it for zooming in and out on satnav, selecting screens, saving waypoints, skipping music etc
My post was in ref to TFT.

Wapping.

I post in this thread - "TFT makes Navigator redundant, but for Navigation. And that i very rarely used the selection wheel because of that"

You post - "You use it a lot"

So, I ask, "what do you use the selection wheel for" ?

Cheers .

To:

A. Switch between screens on the TFT display.

B. To zoom the GPS device in and out and change its screens.

To:

A. Switch between screens on the TFT display.

B. To zoom the GPS device in and out and change its screens.

Please read my post again.

A . TFT makes Nav Redundant. Except for Navigation. So we all "use it a lot" for TFT.

B. The information is all on the TFT, so there's no need to view it on the Navigator.

I am fully aware, and did very rarely switch between the two. I did ask you, Why would you use the selection wheel to switch between the two ?

I like switching between the two. It’s that simple. I like the flexibility. I like using the whirly wheel thing. I won’t be able to flick between the two on my new 1600 when it arrives, but I guess I’ll get over it, not least as the bike will have the big TFT screen, capable of showing a map of the route. Then I’ll be able to use the wheel to zoom the map screen in snd out.

One of the main reasons I flick between the small TFT screen and the separate Navigator device, is to get a view of what comes up ahead, not least as I generally ride without any sound. Having the ability to zoom the Navigator in and out with the wheel suits me. Then I can switch back to the TFT screen and flick between its screens, again using the wheel. It’s just a personal thing, nothing more. Others find no use for the wheel, that’s fine. Others do, which is fine as well. If and when I mount my XT on the small TFT screen bike, I won’t be able to use the wheel to control the navigation device, I’ll cope, I hope.

Anyway, we are now a mile off topic, which was: Advantages and disadvantages of the Connected app versus the Nav.

Read post number 3

Pro’s for both:

I think it’s a positive thing that the whirly wheel is able to control the Navigator device and a phone, when it’s in the Connected cradle. In other words, I think it’s great that, whichever option a bod chooses, whether it’s the Connected app or the Navigator device, I think it’s great that the wheel can control both, irrespective of which they chose to have fitted to their bike or even if they have both fitted.

The OP seems to agree.

You don’t see it as a positive and have rarely used the wheel in six years. That’s fine.

The Navigator device will be redundant on my new 1600, with its large TFT screen. Whether this proves to be my greatest mistake, we’ll have to wait until spring of 2022 to find out. I can make the Navigator entirely redundant on my 850 with its small TFT screen, if I chose to. Equally, I can make the wheel’s control of the GPS device redundant (but retain it for the small TFT screen) if and when I fit my XT into the Navigator cradle, using the device without the wheel by prodding at it, as I did for years, too. Equally, I can make the TFT screen all but redundant and use my GPS device for just about everything except a rev counter.

Back
Top Bottom