How do you use Google maps on an iPad and get them onto a phone / navigation device?

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys, really enjoying this part of the forum even though I have no idea what you are talking about :blagblah:blast:nenau:clap:tumbleweed I am also a Mac/iPad user. My go to app for making routes on the Mac is basecamp, but on the iPad I struggle so am using pocket earth. I see people mentioning making routes on google maps, how do you do this on an iPad?

I have started you a separate thread, as it might well be a topic that interests others.

Richard.

Start by using Google’s My Maps app, would be my tip. Others prefer doing it direct in Google maps, without using the My Maps app. Play around, you can’t break it. There are some quite good threads on UKGSer and some ‘How to do it’ videos on You Tube. When you crack it, tell UKGSer what you found worked and what maybe didn’t.

Some of the Google maps / My Maps app functions don’t work on an iPhone as well as they work on an Android phone.

Start by using Google’s My Maps app, would be my tip. Others prefer doing it direct in Google maps, without using the My Maps app. Play around, you can’t break it. There are some quite good threads on UKGSer and some ‘How to do it’ videos on You Tube.

Some of the Google maps / My Maps app functions don’t work on an iPhone as well as they work on an Android phone.

Ok, lets start at the beginning, firstly searching the App Store I can find an app called google my maps? Have I miss understood completely? Is google maps an app or just the website?

Ok, lets start at the beginning, firstly searching the App Store I can find an app called google my maps? Have I miss understood completely? Is google maps an app or just the website?

Google My Maps is separate to Google’s standard map / route creation function.

Look at it perhaps as a box to keep your bespoke routes in. In a sense it’s a bit like BaseCamp as it can hold routes in a library and be used to create bespoke routes. I just accept it for what it is, not bothering myself as to whether it’s an app or something else, not least as I don’t understand all the terminology. In my world, it either works or it doesn’t; that it maybe works is then just a miracle.

Nope, not for me. Pocket earth is much simpler and shows the off road trails clearer.

Nope, not for me. Pocket earth is much simpler and shows the off road trails clearer.

That doesn’t surprise me at all. Google’s map products are aimed for the bulk of the world who just want to go from A to B or maybe from A to M, via all the letters in between, preferably on something that looks and feels exactly like a road. Google do a pretty good job of it, backed by their excellent Street View service.

Yeah, that seems to be the case more and more. Starting to miss my nav 6 now,,,,,,,, er no I'm not that ghosting did my head in.

Yeah, that seems to be the case more and more. Starting to miss my nav 6 now,,,,,,,, er no I'm not that ghosting did my head in.

There’s a post that it might not always be the device itself. Lord knows, is the answer.

Enlighten me please

I've had this ghosting issue for several months now and as the unit is well out of warranty i have no choice but to muddle on with it.
I've found this on another gs site and tried it on a run out today. The workaround seems to work and the only downside is not being able to use the jog wheel.

Screenshot-2021-12-24-162301.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Feck knows if it’s right or wrong and / or if loss of the whirly wheel thing is an issue or not.

It might though account for why my spanking new Nav VI Make Life a Ride issue, suddenly succumbed to demonic possession, having worked perfectly before. I am not that bothered at the moment as the device is back with BMW awaiting a replacement.

Can't see that being the cause personally, if it was the nav 5 would do the same but it doesn't.

Are you sure that the Nav V shares the same operating system as the Nav VI, edition one and two?

My original Nav VI (edition one) was absolutely fine. I got a free, edition two with my 850, so I sold my edition one. The edition two was fine and then suddenly went wrong. I took it back for a replacement, before I got the chance to see if the sticky tape cured it and / or a chance to see if my Nav V also misbehaved in the same way, at the same time, in the same cradle.

The only difference I found was the 6 had an iPhone Bluetooth option and a round trip option. The new 6 version was identical to the old 6 apart from the dark font. There is lots of hearsay online but as far as I'm concerned unless some one from garmin tells or shows me something to the contrary they work the same.

Back
Top Bottom