Denali Sound Bomb Mini

MondoRich

Reaction score
Afternoon I hope you’ve had a jolly one

SWMBO gifted me this Denali and the associated lead for my 2014MY

It beeps when I turn the ignition on just fine, I went for a ride and it beeped once but wouldn’t then work again! Ooo

Got home washed the bike and turned the ignition on and it beeps again

I had tried an OEM 5 series horn and had the same results

What is going on????

Thanks for any advice - I’m lost 🤔

Could it be that both the Denali and the 5-series horn are pulling more current than the standard fitment horn and your bike is particularly sensitive causing the electronics/Canbus to throw a wobbly and shutting down the horn circuit?
Have the two horns you`ve tried simply plugged straight into the OEM harness?
Maybe power it by a relay with power directly from the battery?

Try turning the bike on and then pressing the horn buttom several times in a row, if it works the first few times then stops it could be the above is happening?

Afternoon I hope you’ve had a jolly one

SWMBO gifted me this Denali and the associated lead for my 2014MY

It beeps when I turn the ignition on just fine, I went for a ride and it beeped once but wouldn’t then work again! Ooo

Got home washed the bike and turned the ignition on and it beeps again

I had tried an OEM 5 series horn and had the same results

What is going on????

Thanks for any advice - I’m lost ��

I had an issue with mine which annoyingly manifested itself with some odd behaviour. 1 in 3 times being used the Denali would just sound for 1-2 seconds, even if I just flicked the button. It may be a complete coincidence but I swapped the fittings around on the sound bomb and it cured the issue. I know folk will say it makes no difference but it did!

I think @Hann is pointing in the right direction.
The system is fused with Polyfuse or something similar, meaning the fuse is designed to allow for a defined load. Once the load is exceeded, the fuse enters a high resistance mode, and stays this way until power is removed.

IIt appears that your horns are drawing a current which is just on the edge of maximum rated current.

The solution will be to use the horn-cable to drive a relay, and connect the relay main supply to feed directly from the battery, with a conventional fuse on the feeder cable, close to the battery.

I think @Hann is pointing in the right direction.
The system is fused with Polyfuse or something similar, meaning the fuse is designed to allow for a defined load. Once the load is exceeded, the fuse enters a high resistance mode, and stays this way until power is removed.

IIt appears that your horns are drawing a current which is just on the edge of maximum rated current.

The solution will be to use the horn-cable to drive a relay, and connect the relay main supply to feed directly from the battery, with a conventional fuse on the feeder cable, close to the battery.
I'm not sure that was the case. I have 2021 R1250GS and have Soundbomb Mini and from it I run one more cable and on the other side, bellow the beak, I attached BMW 5 Series horn in parallel. So, I now run 2 horns on the same line with no problems. When it was only Soundbomb Mini, there was no problem as well.

I agree that the mini Denali *should* work when hooked up to the original wiring, that’s why I said in my previous post that perhaps the OPs bike is particularly sensitive.
We won’t know until the basic check is done, though……

I agree that the mini Denali *should* work when hooked up to the original wiring, that’s why I said in my previous post that perhaps the OPs bike is particularly sensitive.
We won’t know until the basic check is done, though……

Well i've gone back to the OEM as I just wanted plug and play really. The canbus must be very sensitive and this horn must be right on the limits of power draw. Thanks for all your comments :okay

There is one very important important thing not to be forgotten here. Any horn has to be mounted on flexible bracket. When you buy aftermarket horn, it comes with flexible mount that even looks strange or fragile. If you mount the horn on rigid support it will have strange behaviour and dull sound.

Back
Top Bottom