Best of England - Yorkshire / Lincolnshire

Pablo1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Cant remember where I picked these routes up from theres the lake district thats not shown in the image below, just looking for some verification that routes shown are worthwhile, done Scotland to death so looking a bit further afield without leaving uk.
Best England.jpg

The purple one....Huddersfield, Halifax, Keighley, Skipton section is crap. Urban main roads. A quick look on a decent map will have you going from Holmfirth to Meltham, Slaithwaite, Sowood, Ripponden, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge, Oxenhope, Laneshaw Bridge, Skipton Old Road to Elslack, Gargrave then Settle. :beerjug:

Hubbert’s Bridge and Langrick Bridge lie on a good route (maybe not necessarily yours…?)
Plan on using the A1225 “High Street” from Horncastle to Caistor, if you are heading north from Coningsby (your map detail is too small to see).
Then the A1084 Brigg Road to Melton Ross.
Take the unnamed road which heads northwest from Melton Ross and parallel to A1204, as far as you can, then head to South Ferriby, then tootle across the Humber Bridge.

Not sure what the attraction at Bridlington is? I’d skip it….
Most other road are very rideable across East & North Yorkshire…

Hubbert’s Bridge and Langrick Bridge lie on a good route (maybe not necessarily yours…?)
Plan on using the A1225 “High Street” from Horncastle to Caistor, if you are heading north from Coningsby (your map detail is too small to see).
Take the unnamed road which heads northwest from Melton Ross and parallel to A1204, as far as you can, then head to South Ferriby, then tootle across the Humber Bridge.

taken that on board cheers

The purple one....Huddersfield, Halifax, Keighley, Skipton section is crap. Urban main roads. A quick look on a decent map will have you going from Holmfirth to Meltham, Slaithwaite, Sowood, Ripponden, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge, Oxenhope, Laneshaw Bridge, Skipton Old Road to Elslack, Gargrave then Settle. :beerjug:

Agreed 100% - avoid the nighmare that is Huddersfield/Halifax/Keighley at all costs. Horrible on a bike and absolutely horrendous in a van. I've tried various ways from to get up to the Dales from Holmfirth, including sections of this route, but never quite stitched them together. So cheers Davey B, so will def. be giving this one a go - hopefully this Summer.

Going the other way, looks like the purple route is over Holme Moss and left onto A57 Snake Pass away from Glossop before dropping down to Bamford and then along the Hope Valley towards Mam Tor before going over the tops to Chapel? All good stuff. Well worth carrying on to Macclesfield, if only for the rightly famous run back to Buxton. South of Buxton I'd change the route a bit - unless you particularly want to visit the delights of Matlock Bath (chip shops, congestion and crowds of tourists)? I'd stay on the A515, ignore the turn off down the Via Gellia for Cromford/Matlock Bath and keep going for Ashbourne. Enjoy some more bendy bits en route and there's a decent chippie in Ashbourne market place if you need it. Stay on the A515 and drop down to pick up the A50. Quick blat along the dual carriageway and pick up the route again south of Derby.

Agreed 100% - avoid the nighmare that is Huddersfield/Halifax/Keighley at all costs. Horrible on a bike and absolutely horrendous in a van. I've tried various ways from to get up to the Dales from Holmfirth, including sections of this route, but never quite stitched them together. So cheers Davey B, so will def. be giving this one a go - hopefully this Summer.

Going the other way, looks like the purple route is over Holme Moss and left onto A57 Snake Pass away from Glossop before dropping down to Bamford and then along the Hope Valley towards Mam Tor before going over the tops to Chapel? All good stuff. Well worth carrying on to Macclesfield, if only for the rightly famous run back to Buxton. South of Buxton I'd change the route a bit - unless you particularly want to visit the delights of Matlock Bath (chip shops, congestion and crowds of tourists)? I'd stay on the A515, ignore the turn off down the Via Gellia for Cromford/Matlock Bath and keep going for Ashbourne. Enjoy some more bendy bits en route and there's a decent chippie in Ashbourne market place if you need it. Stay on the A515 and drop down to pick up the A50. Quick blat along the dual carriageway and pick up the route again south of Derby.

I agree with Davey B .
But Huddersfield, Halifax or Keighley are hardly major cities. And i also have a van.

Thanks altered route

Route altered thanks

Forest of Bowland, surely? Ok, it's not Yorks but ...

The West Riding border is just west of Dunsop Bridge, so large parts of the Forest of Bowland are in Yorkshire; they’re just administered by Lancashire ;)

The West Riding border is just west of Dunsop Bridge, so large parts of the Forest of Bowland are in Yorkshire; they’re just administered by Lancashire ;)

Brilliant. Some other bugger pays! :D

Back
Top Bottom