BUY CHEAP GET CHEAP

Apex

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, what did I expect I suppose.

The in-tank fuel filter for the Freeride is £43 plus delivery. Complete nutso! Now found the same Mahle filter for £12.50 online.

These below were £10 for a pack of 10...what's not to like? Breaking down out on the trail, that's what :blast

Attachments

• IMG-7737.jpg
    IMG-7737.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG-7736.jpg
    IMG-7736.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 634
The way this filter has gone out of shape makes me wonder if it's an E10 vs E5 issue. It's a thought.

The other thought is that the fuel gets quite warm generally. So maybe this plastic can't take the heat.

I converted my 690 to run an external filter, can't you do the same?

More likely those filters are designed for low pressure applications ie a gravity feed or low pressure mechanical fuel pump feeding a carburettor.

Put it in a system with high pressure application for fuel injection and it blows it apart

More likely those filters are designed for low pressure applications ie a gravity feed or low pressure mechanical fuel pump feeding a carburettor.

Put it in a system with high pressure application for fuel injection and it blows it apart

Fair enough. Add some heat too and BOOM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I converted my 690 to run an external filter, can't you do the same?

Well, its an interesting thought. Assume it's before the pump to stop junk getting into it though. If not then I guess an external unit could work.

Well, its an interesting thought. Assume it's before the pump to stop junk getting into it though. If not then I guess an external unit could work.

. The pump relies soley on a coarse strainer which is why it's important not to allow any dirt to enter through the fuel cap.
The external filter is after the pump!...obviously :D

The OEM filter is also after the pump as pressure isnt high.

I fitted where there was space and replaced the QR fitting. I used a metal bodied filter (I forget which) and was protected from vibration wear with some rubber.

I have used one of these on fuel injected bikes before (if they had 8mm inlets) Pierburg 4.00030.80.0 only 80 mm overall length, 25mm diameter

. The pump relies soley on a coarse strainer which is why it's important not to allow any dirt to enter through the fuel cap.
The external filter is after the pump!...obviously :D

The OEM filter is also after the pump as pressure isnt high.

I fitted where there was space and replaced the QR fitting. I used a metal bodied filter (I forget which) and was protected from vibration wear with some rubber.

Sounds interesting too. Not sure what I'd do without the quick release though as the tank is removed often for maintenance. Pinch the pipe maybe?

Sounds interesting too. Not sure what I'd do without the quick release though as the tank is removed often for maintenance. Pinch the pipe maybe?

Undo one end of the hose where it connects to the filter with a hose clamp, fuel isn't going to escape.....unless you turn the ignition on or see if you have enough room to use a QR as well.

I have used one of these on fuel injected bikes before (if they had 8mm inlets) Pierburg 4.00030.80.0 only 80 mm overall length, 25mm diameter

Yeah, I thought about a metal one in the past. Just wondered whether the extra weight bouncing around in the tank would cause a different issue. Guess it would fit external and just join the pipe in the tank. Anyway, I've a Mahle one on its way so will probably just leave stock design. Thanks though.

Undo one end of the hose where it connects to the filter with a hose clamp, fuel isn't going to escape.....unless you turn the ignition on or see if you have enough room to use a QR as well.

Yep. Understood. Could bung the pipe anyway if needed. Good shout.

External might be the way to go now I think about it. It's a PITA removing the whole assembly just to change the filter. You sure its in the outlet (pressurised) side of the pump?

Did you couple the pipe in the tank with a bit of tube?

Yep. Understood. Could bung the pipe anyway if needed. Good shout.

External might be the way to go now I think about it. It's a PITA removing the whole assembly just to change the filter. You sure its in the outlet (pressurised) side of the pump?

Did you couple the pipe in the tank with a bit of tube?

I can't remember what I did exactly in the tank as I fitted a more reliable pump (Cycleworks) at the same time.
Just found the filter I opted for which was both robust and gave the right filtration.
http://www.thejetworks.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=in+line+filter&x=7&y=7

Just remembered what I did!

Yes used some hose but make sure it's submersible fuel pipe.

Yep, just taken a look. I have pipe. Looking forward to hopefully not needing to strip it out again. Until the pump fails.

That's awesome. Good find.

There's still the mini in pipe filter to think about.

I'm way out of touch with newer KTMs, do you mean what we called a Top Hat filter just before the injector?

I'm way out of touch with newer KTMs, do you mean what we called a Top Hat filter just before the injector?

Yes. That orange filter has the other half of the quick release cut off and that's the bit the small filter sits in. You wouldn't imagine much would get past the main filter but it seems to have a bit in whenever it gets serviced...so probs worth having.

Yes. That orange filter has the other half of the quick release cut off and that's the bit the small filter sits in. You wouldn't imagine much would get past the main filter but it seems to have a bit in whenever it gets serviced...so probs worth having.

It's is a fine filter, I forget how many microns but I remember John from Rally Raid telling me the early ones on 690s were too fine and would choke the performance on race bikes so were removed.
I think they were later changed to get that balance but of course protect the injector.
Funny how in 21 years with 1150GSs I never had any fueling issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom